Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Value of a Master's Degree

• 1.  Value of a Master's Degree

Posted 08-15-2020 06:57 PM
    I would like your thoughts on obtaining an online Master Degree in Museum Studies. I have been working for the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation and with other Historic Triangle sites since 2015 as an interpreter, but I am looking for ways to advance my career and improve my job prospects. Getting the degree online would allow me to continue gaining experience while completing my studies. What are your thoughts on the value of a Masters Degree? Is it really something that is sought after in a candidate, particularly in Museum Education?

------------------------------
    Christopher Hartman
    Certified Interpretive Guide
    Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
    Williamsburg VA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Value of a Master's Degree

Posted 08-17-2020 07:22 AM
    Hi Christopher,

I would say a Masters is worth it if you know what you want to do. Do your research for the position you eventually want. For example, I've always wanted to work at an archive, but as I was earning my MA in History I discovered I needed an MLIS as well. So now I have both. 

Also, do it because you feel this is something you love and, depending on where you are, prepare to relocate. I wound up losing my job recently and luckily I found one more suited for me five hours away but I applied to everything across the country. 

The other thing to keep in mind is that these are not "high paying" jobs. I found that most jobs paid in the $40k range and some were too small to pay benefits. 

I have zero regrets for my education, or the experience I gained. It set me up for what will hopefully be the job I can retire from. I'm moving somewhere I'm really excited about, and I feel the job will have potential growth a few years down the line.

If you are loving the museum field, then definitely do it. It's always worth doing it for something you love.

--
    Sent from Gmail Mobile

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Value of a Master's Degree

Posted 08-17-2020 08:50 AM
    Hi Christopher!

I have conflicting thoughts on my education. I went for a MA in Museum Professions with a focus on Museum Registration, graduating last August. I feel like a lot of what I learned in the classroom could have just as easily been learned on the job in various internship (while saving me thousands of dollars in schooling). I actually came in with a lot of the basics such as object handling and accessioning thanks to an internship I had previously. However, the program required that we spend a semester at a local museum as an intern. The internship I took because of the program eventually led to a job just a short while later. So while I feel like I could have learned most things on the job, I also have my current job because of the program. So I guess the lesson is that while the program itself may be repetitious in its content, it can also give you connections to museums and organizations and therefore jobs that you might not otherwise have.

I also have to admit taking classes broadened my knowledge of legal and ethical issues in museums, better preparing me for situations such as repatriating Native American artifacts or what to do with deacessioned objects. While you can learn a lot of this material reading books, there's something about debating them with your fellow students that really sticks with you and prepares you for when these situations come up in the "real world."

This might not be as straight-forward of an answer that you wanted, but I hope it helped!

Erin Benz
    Museum Coordinator
    Montclair NJ

• 4.  RE: Value of a Master's Degree

Posted 08-17-2020 10:00 AM

One word: absolutely.

Harry Klinkhamer

Historical Resources Manager

City of Venice

941-486-2490

hklinkhamer@venicegov.com

Venice Museum & Archives                        City of Venice

http://www.venicemuseum.org/              http://venicegov.com

The value of history is, indeed, not scientific but moral:

by liberalizing the mind, by deepening the sympathies,

by fortifying the will, it enables us to control, not society,

but ourselves - a much more important thing; it prepares

us to live more humanely in the present and to meet rather

than to foretell the future.

-Carl Becker from Every Man His Own Historian

• 5.  RE: Value of a Master's Degree

Posted 08-17-2020 10:09 AM

8-17-20

Here are some personal recommendations regarding getting a master's degree:

1. Definitely get one--it is the required minimum level for professional work.
    2. Be very sure about the field you want to work in and get a master's degree that matches that field.
    3. Find a program that doesn't require going into debt for the rest of your life.
    4. Choose an in-person program, not an online one.
    5. Take advantage of being a graduate student and apply for a graduate internship somewhere.

Gregory Dobie
    Editorial and Educational Consultant
    San Antonio, Texas

• 6.  RE: Value of a Master's Degree

Posted 08-17-2020 10:36 AM
    Edited by Dawn Hewitt 08-17-2020 10:39 AM
    I hold an Art History MA degree. The program I attended had an emphasis on museum studies, and I chose to further focus on women and gender studies. I would say that it was worth the work and time. My plan was always to get a PhD; however, it was not possible due to family issues. I picked up the thought of going back to complete my PhD about a year after completing my MA and spoke with a friend of mine who is a tenured professor at a major university. He asked a great question, "What would you do with a PhD that you aren't currently doing?" My thoughts were that I want to work in a museum (check), I want to teach (check), and I want to research and write (working on it :).  I am very fortunate to have a full-time position in a museum with growing responsibilities surrounding art and exhibitions and an adjunct position teaching art history at a local community college. Without my MA, this would not have been possible or would have been much less likely. 

Dawn Hewitt
    Director of Community Engagement
    Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
    Austin TX

• 7.  RE: Value of a Master's Degree

Posted 08-17-2020 06:54 PM
    Hi All
    Interesting and gets me thinking because I want to work in community engagement in museums and have been wondering about getting a masters in museum studies or public history or something else. I want to make the best chose so that I set myself up the best for the future. I volunteer at the Asian Art museum in SF. 
    Thanks for the discution.
    Rachel

Rachel Alschuler
    Information Desk Volunteer
    San Francisco CA

• 8.  RE: Value of a Master's Degree

Posted 08-19-2020 08:59 AM
    Hi Dawn, 
    I was wondering where you obtained your MA? Being able to get an Art History degree, while also focusing on museum studies and women and gender studies is something I am incredibly interested in but I am having a hard time finding programs that seem to fit that specific interest. 

Thank you,
    Devon Matson

Devon Matson
    Brunswick OH

• 9.  RE: Value of a Master's Degree

Posted 08-17-2020 12:45 PM
    Edited by Matthew Clouse 08-17-2020 12:45 PM
    Hi Christopher,

As someone who completed a Master's through distance learning while working full time in a museum, I can tell you that I was promoted before I had even finished the degree, which I doubt would have happened had I not been in the process. At my first museum I had been working in Museum Ed with a BA and then transitioned to the Collections and Exhibitions Department during my studies. That said, I had previous experience in both departments, which helped, but in either case, I don't think I would have advanced very much otherwise, since if you want a decent-paying career in museums with the potential for advancement, a Master's is usually required.

Also, I disagree about not getting an online education. It has a bit of a stigma for some but honestly it has not, from my experiences, prevented me from getting interviews or job offers (technically, my degree is from distance learning, slightly different but not much). However, I would add a disclaimer that I already had several years of experience, as do you, so I think online would work for you, but I might not recommend it for someone who is completely green. While I do agree that nothing replaces hands-on learning and interaction with others, don't simply throw out a program because it's online, it may be the exact right fit for you.

Matthew Clouse
    Museum Registrar
    UCR ARTS/California Museum of Photography
    University of California, Riverside

• 10.  RE: Value of a Master's Degree

Posted 08-18-2020 09:25 AM
    Hi Christopher, 

This is exactly what I am doing. I am lucky enough to work somewhere where my employer pays half my tuition. I am currently enrolled in the museum studies program at CUNY School of Professional Studies. So far I love the program. It is not crazy expensive and I am able to pay out of pocket. When choosing a school I actively looked for one that wouldn't cost more than my undergrad degree. Since this field is not very profitable be sure that you are financially ready. I know people who have over 100,000 dollars in debt because of grad school. Best of Luck!

Sincerely, 

Emma

Emma Pfeifer
    Office Assistant
    Ruth and Elmer Wellin Museum of Art of Hamilton College
    Clinton NY

• 11.  RE: Value of a Master's Degree

Posted 08-19-2020 09:00 AM
    Hi Emma, 

I'm in the same program! I just enrolled for my first semester. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the program so far.  Perhaps we will e-meet in a class one day.

Best,
    Leanna

Leanna McMillin
    Curatorial Assistant
    New York Botanical Garden
    Bronx NY

• 12.  RE: Value of a Master's Degree

Posted 08-18-2020 12:11 PM
    Hello Christopher!

I have my BA in History and ALM (Master's) in Museum Studies. My Master's was essential for getting a position in museum registration. My advice would be to really narrow down what you want to do long-term and then find a program that fits. Each Museum Studies program is different, however, most programs allow you to tailor coursework to your interests. Some programs, while mostly online, do require an in-person intensive course or presentation of your final thesis on campus. Of note, in the Museum Education field in VA most full-time positions will require a MA. 

Good luck!
    Shaleigh

Shaleigh Howells
    Assistant Registrar
    The Valentine
    Richmond VA

• 13.  RE: Value of a Master's Degree

Posted 08-18-2020 01:36 PM
    Hi Christopher,

To provide a counterpoint to some of the other comments, my personal advice would be to proceed with caution and understand that a Master's degree will not necessarily guarantee you a position or a promotion. If you do secure a position, it will likely be awhile before it offsets the costs of your degree. I have a Master's in Museum Studies, and I do not regret my choice, but mainly because of the people I met in my program, who continue to be some of my closest friends to this day. However, for many of us (I graduated in 2015), a Master's was not an automatic "in" to a job, we have been told it is "not enough" to be promoted to a management position, and we've been passed over for jobs for people coming from unrelated fields but who have more specific experience (i.e. - a former classroom teacher is hired for an education position vs. someone with a Master's degree in Museum studies). Due to a lack of options, I know many people with this degree who have left the field out of frustration. Also, AAM recently hosted a career webinar in which they suggested people graduating with Master's right now look for internships (i.e. unpaid work).  This suggestion may have arisen due to the lack of jobs as a result of the pandemic, but I think it is important to note the field may not bounce back for awhile. I'm amazed there are so many people on this thread who got a Master's and it paid off, but that hasn't been the case for many of my colleagues.

Jana

Jana Greenslit
    Evaluation & Research Coordinator
    Museum of Science & Industry
    Chicago IL

• 14.  RE: Value of a Master's Degree

Posted 08-18-2020 02:31 PM
    Hi Christopher,

I want to agree with people on both sides of the argument--I know that I would not be where I am in my museum career without my master's degree, but I also deeply regret obtaining one in many ways, primarily because I am now in a large amount of debt that I can barely afford to pay off. So my advice is: only do it if you can afford to pay for it upfront, only if you can afford to live on very little money after that, and also only if you are willing to move anywhere in the country to get a job. I am one of the very few people from my grad school cohort who still works in a museum--many of the people who chose to stay in the city where we went to school could no longer afford to live there and continue to work in museums. I moved from California to Kentucky to New York to Denver to Pennsylvania to keep working in museums, and it has been exhausting and I make less money now, almost 10 years into my career, than I did in my first job out of undergrad.

When I started grad school, the head of the program said that the museum field tends to trend about two years behind the general financial situation in the country, so after this pandemic situation is over, museums are likely going to be struggling for a long time, even after (if) things go back to some semblance of normalcy elsewhere. Many are laying off dozens of people right now and have hiring freezes in place for up to two years. It's a mess out there.

But, if you're really dedicated, and you have the financial ability to do it, go for it, because otherwise your chances of getting hired are pretty low. I expect this will be even more the case in the coming years as dozens, even hundreds of people will be applying for every museum job, and a master's degree will definitely help you get past the initial weeding out (though, more important than that is learning how to write a really good cover letter).

Am I a little sour about the state of museums right now? Yes. Is it worth all the trouble? Most of the time.

Good luck!

Jessica Lubniewski
    Collections Assistant
    Denver CO

• 15.  RE: Value of a Master's Degree

Posted 08-18-2020 06:52 PM
    Christopher,

I would agree with Jana. I've been in the field for 25+ years and many of my peers do not have master's degrees - I'd say it is about 50/50. Some incredibly talented and influential people I know in the field only have high school diplomas. When I am hiring, I'm less interested in education than I am in experience. My advice would be to work/volunteer in as many different museum roles as you can, and through that work grow your experience and network, and save your money.

I wonder also how an institution's interest in a degree for a position continues to maintain the whiteness of our field. Well, I don't wonder, I know how it has. I've made it a practice to remove all educational requirements from job descriptions. There's nothing wrong with a masters, but I'm not sure if that industrial complex is interested in your best interests.

Joseph Imholte
    Vice President, Programs and Operations
    The Bakken Museum
    Minneapolis MN

• 16.  RE: Value of a Master's Degree

Posted 08-18-2020 07:29 PM
    Very refreshing to hear someone in leadership removing education requirements! I think it's high time we begin valuing experience on the same level.

Jana

Jana Greenslit
    Evaluation & Research Coordinator
    Museum of Science & Industry
    Chicago IL

• 17.  RE: Value of a Master's Degree

Posted 08-19-2020 04:05 PM
    Hi Christopher.

So, you're on that crossroads. If I knew then what I know now, I would go for professional, skill, and topic certifications. A graduate degree is never "too much" but can be very expensive in the USA, no matter where you look -and it doesn't garantee employment. I wish you a debt-free career path. This is my 2-cent-worth take on the subject, and I hope you get the scope on it to make your next move.

By the way, I've been in museum education for 20 years. I don't have a degree in education nor museum studies. My BA is in Humanities and I have an MFA. My "education on museum education" has been learning on the job straight from the experts, seminaries, lots of reading, and visiting other museums to see how they do it. I'm still learning and I love it!

Be brave and be safe.

Lisa Ortega-Pol, MFA
    Museum Educator
    Museo de Historia, Antropología y Arte
    Universidad de Puerto Rico
    San Juan PR

• 18.  RE: Value of a Master's Degree

Posted 08-21-2020 12:23 PM
    A Master's Degree is definitely a plus in any field.  Another option, however, is a Museum Studies Certificate.  I am the coordinator of our certificate program at Wichita State University in Wichita Kansas. Students will sometimes get it along with their Master's in Anthropology, Art, History, Education, whatever, or they can just pursue the certificate.   Ours is not offered completely online but I know some that are.   In improving your skills and knowledge, a hands-on education is really important which is why ours is not online.  Whatever you decide, just make sure you are getting the practical experience.  You can read about museum theories and procedures all day but until you put it to practice, you won't gain the valuable experience you will need to advance in the museum world.  Good luck!

Rachelle Meinecke
    Director
    Lowell D. Holmes Museum of Anthropology - Wichita State University
    Wichita KS