Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Panelists needed for AAM session on older museum workers

Posted 04-02-2018 11:16 AM

Dear fellow AAM attendees,

Are you interested in topics related to Gen-Xers, Boomers, and Traditionalists in our field?  Our session "Age: The Forgotten Diversity?" will discuss their challenges and opportunities at AAM on the afternoon of Monday, May 7.  We are looking for one panelist to replace another who had to bow out.  If you have experience with this topic and plan to attend AAM this year, please contact me ASAP at ljacobso@email.unc.edu

Here is what we want to cover in this talk-show format session. Attendees will:

• Become better able to articulate the benefits that older workers bring to museums.
    • Learn about legal and ethical aspects of the hiring process as it concerns older workers.
    • Learn how panelists employed strategies for staying competitive in today's job market.

One of the panelists will focus on the issues faced by Gen-Xers (they're now in their 40s and 50s) and another is planning to speak to her experience working with employers and the importance of job seekers staying current.  The panelist who dropped out was a former museum director who was going to talk about her own experience job hunting 50+ and the legal issues; however, there is some flexibility in what this third panelist could cover.  A good fit may be from Human Resources, a director responsible for hiring, or an individual who has successfully navigated their way through the job hunting process.

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Linda Jacobson
    Keeper
    North Carolina Collection Gallery
    The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
    Chapel Hill NC 27599
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Panelists needed for AAM session on older museum workers

Posted 04-03-2018 05:13 PM
    ​Hi Linda,

I don't know if I'm a perfect fit for your panel but I'd thought I'd chime in. I'm a project manager at the Museum of Flight and I'd running a panel on Tuesday morning called "Project Management: it's Just for Breakfast Anymore." Anyway, I'm not in HR but I'm in my mid 50s and only joined the Museum community five years ago so I have a sense of what it's like to job hunt at that age. Most of our education staff is under 30 and I work with them on a lot of projects so I have some insight on "relating to the young whipper snappers."

I'd be glad to chat more if you think I'm a viable candidate.

Thanks!
    Rick

Rick Hardin
    Project Manager
    Museum of Flight
    Seattle WA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more