Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Reaccessioning Deaccessioned Objects

Posted 10-04-2017 10:02 AM
    All,

Last year we received a call from the local school board saying that they had found 30 pieces of art with our accession numbers and labels in their storage room and they wanted to return them to the museum. We couldn't find any paperwork on the deaccessioning process, so we took them back.

Now a year later, I've uncovered the deaccessioning paperwork and all were donated to the school board for education. Problem is - the school board doesn't want them back, AND we want to reaccession a select few back into the collection because they are actually valuable to our collection's mission.

Does anyone have any advice or articles or literature on what the ethics are on reaccessioning deaccessioned objects? As well as disposing of previously donated deaccessioned works?

Best,

Suzanne Slabaugh
    Registrar/Collections Manager
    Pensacola Museum of Art
    407 S. Jefferson Street
    Pensacola, FL 32502
    850.432.6247 Ext. 208
    850.469.1532 (f)
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Reaccessioning Deaccessioned Objects

Posted 10-05-2017 08:45 AM
    Hi Suzanne! 

I highly recommend getting a copy of A Legal Primer on Managing Museum Collections to help you with difficult cases like this one. It's been invaluable in my career so far.

------------------------------
    Claire Aldenhuysen
    Museum Educator
    National Model Aviation Museum, Academy of Model Aeronautics
    Muncie IN

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Reaccessioning Deaccessioned Objects

Posted 10-05-2017 09:51 AM
    What comes around goes around...

You may do as you wish with the art that has already been deaccessioned, including returning it to the school for it to do as it wishes.  Art you want to re-accession should go through your normal accessioning process, as if you are starting all over - which is what you are doing actually.

The processing and procedureal fault was in allowing the accession numbers to remain on the deaccessioned items.  These are usually removed or covered over.

This is a new one to me so thank you.  I'll not add it as an example in the book I have written on deaccessioning but it is unusal.

Regards,

Steve

Steven Miller
    Executive Director
    Boscobel House and Gardens
    Garrison NY

• 4.  RE: Reaccessioning Deaccessioned Objects

Posted 10-05-2017 12:56 PM
    I agree with Steve that you can deal with these items as though they were just coming to you out of the blue. The fact that they were once deaccessioned by your museum is important to note in your records, but it has nothing to do with the current, potential transactions. I have actually seen this before, in museums with which I was consulting, although the more usual situation is that museums are burdened by collections that never should have been accepted in the first place, and are worthy subjects for collections review and analysis.

Bruce MacLeish
    Curator Emeritus, Newport Restoration Foundation
    Newport RI

• 5.  RE: Reaccessioning Deaccessioned Objects

Posted 10-06-2017 10:39 AM
    An interesting problem and discussion.

I question the recommendation that the accessioning numbers be removed or covered over.  Wouldn't they be useful in the future to help with the provenance of the item?

Alan Steinfeld
    Volunteer, Accessions Department
    Mertz Library
    New York Botanical Garden

• 6.  RE: Reaccessioning Deaccessioned Objects

Posted 10-09-2017 12:27 PM
    A relevant point and one to be considered.  I recommend against retaining the accession number for three reasons, two of which relate to the commercial art and antiquities market.  Most people have no concept of deaccessioning so when they see something was once owned by a museum it furthers the idea that museums often get rid of stuff, and, if the object is on the market, why would a museum do that?  If it has monetary value why do museums dump these things?  Deaccessioning has caused enough misunderstanding in the real world and I want to refrain from needlessly contributing to it.  I would not be interested in supporting the commerical market with the implied imprimatur that former museum ownership offers.  Finally, a standard museum accesion number usually gives no idea what museum an object came from.  For example, I would have no inkling of what museum once owned 47.8.25.

Rgards,

Steve

Steven Miller
    Executive Director
    Boscobel House and Gardens
    Garrison NY