Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Examples of Contemporary Collecting Policies for Historical Societies

Posted 04-26-2017 08:35 AM
    Historical Society Colleagues,

As our historical societies age and looser collections policies are formalized inevitably the topic of contemporary collecting is broached. My organization is also in the process of creating a contemporary collecting policy to set up the historical society to tell the important stories of today, 100 years from now. As we all know space and other resources are sometimes in short supply in many organizations, so we want to really think through this process.

As I am sure we are not the first, or the last, to have this conversation, I am hoping other organizations could share their guidelines for contemporary collecting. We are looking forward to seeing the types of bounds your organizations have set to help guide the board in accessioning the best possible collections for the future.

Please share what you can and email me directly if you have any further questions or would like to receive these examples as well. 

Kind Regards,

------------------------------
    Max Metz
    Manager and Educator
    Durant-Kenrick House and Grounds
    of Historic Newton
    Newton MA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Examples of Contemporary Collecting Policies for Historical Societies

Posted 04-27-2017 06:36 AM
    Edited by Colin Windhorst 04-27-2017 06:39 AM
    Yes, please add us to this list, also, and cc drhs@myfairpoint.net.  We are a small Historical Society operating a tiny museum in Eastern Maine.  The question of what to collect from our time, and how to take responsibility for it, is of enduring value.  We undertook an exhibition of textiles a few summers back, entitled "What Shall We Wear at Dennys River ", and wished we had more examples of "everyday" articles, like under-clothing, as well as the fine things that have made it through the time machine.  The interest is there.  Does this mean we should be collecting 1970's toe socks?  A fresh look at our collecting habits is very much needed.

Colin Windhorst PhD

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Examples of Contemporary Collecting Policies for Historical Societies

Posted 04-27-2017 03:30 PM
    This is a topic that was first of great interest to me when I was a curator at the Museum of the City of New York. I have consequently carried it with me to other regional history museums where I have worked.  Traditionally history museums tended to shy away from adding new things to their holdings.  The old stuff was much more interesting and besides, wasn't that why such museums existed?  This attitude has changed.  Collecting things of recent manufacture and use can be a huge challenge.  At the MCNY I was in charge of the picture collection (paintings, prints and photographs).  In that capacity i decided to institute the totally new practice of acquiring contemporary images of the city.  This was not done formally, officially by any sort of approval edict from above.  It was an entirely ad hoc personal curatorial initiative and that suited me just fine.  I hate collection committees.  As far as I can tell, all of what I acquired is still there.  How great would it be to come back in a hundred years and see if that is still true.  i say this because collecting the current (more about that alliteration below) is an exercise in predicting what the future will find interesting about the past that is now the present.  Museums are in the stuff business and there is lot of stuff out there.  Deciding what to collect that is old is easier than deciding what to collect that is new.  At the MCNY I looked for images of places in transitioin.  We had more than enough pictures of the Statue of Liberty.     

Collecting policies are fine and every museum should have one but they can rarely be a precide menu of exactly what a museum should acquire, specifically.  However, setting one that included acquiring new items is of value as it alerts staff, trustees and the public that hisory is unfolding as we speak and a museum does not adhere to a strict chronological assignment of collecting priorities.  For this reason i wrote one when I was director of the Bennington Museum, VT, ini 1997.  It was approved by the board but I do not know if it is still in effect.  It is included in a chapter I wrote for what I think may be the only book on this subject. "Collecting the Contemporary: A Handbook for Social History Museums" was published by MuseumsEtc in 2014.  There is a book about art collecting, edited by Bruce Altshuler, entitled "Collecting the new: Museums and Contemporary Art." Princeton University Press, 2004.

In 1985 I had a piece in Curator magazine called Collecting the Current. If not the first writing in our field about contemporary acquisition practices for history museums, it was an early attempt to discuss the subject...and reflects that as I would love to rewrite it.  My chapter in the MuseumsEtc book attempted to do that.

One area of new collecting for history museums involves preserving materials relating to tragedies.  A noted example is what Pam Schwartz (curator) is doing at the Orange County Regional History Center in Orlando, FL.  She started and is heading the project to acquire artifacts of the Pulse Nightclub shooting. 

I would be happy to chat about this topic off-line as it is fascinating and overwhelming both conceptually and acually.

Steve

Steven Miller
    Executive Director
    Boscobel House and Gardens
    Garrison NY

• 4.  RE: Examples of Contemporary Collecting Policies for Historical Societies

Posted 05-12-2017 08:02 PM
    It may help to look at museums that include a relatively new museum discipline called Material Culture, or the collection of ordinary things.  Somewhat akin to Social History, the history of ordinary people, I was introduced to this concept in Berlin when I visited The Museum der Dinge (aka Werkbundarchiv) or in English, The Museum of Things. (Werkbundarchiv - Museum der Dinge (Museum of Things)) Begun in order to celebrate German pride in workmanship and detail, this museum documents modern material culture and product culture by collecting design-significant objects and archival materials. Rather than avoiding duplication, the museum relishes showing many instances of the same type of object to honor design traditions and variations.  The resulting collection is an amazing amalgam of 20th and 21st century objects:  rows and rows of electric fans, carpentry planes, egg beaters, toasters, Barbie dolls and even Star Wars Legos.  As I walked through the stacks I saw objects that I recognized from my mother's kitchen and from my grandfather's workshop.  As it continues collecting into the future it truly will be a museum of how those of in present day live, and how we transformed and modernized our objects were over the years. Seeing like-objects massed together presented a fascinating view of both design concepts and the things that are important to us, everyday people.

l1eD8HSQVuQd913QtJpq_1Tool Case.jpgLHxet0nxQoqICPAaIDj3_1Toasters and Toys.jpg

Dixie Neilson
    University of Florida
    Gainesville FL

• 5.  RE: Examples of Contemporary Collecting Policies for Historical Societies

Posted 05-15-2017 07:34 AM
    "Relatively new" is of course a relative term. You could also try looking at Ian Quimby's classic text from 1978, Material Culture and the Study of American Life." And any number of excellent books since then.

Deborah Smith
    Consultant Belfast Maine

• 6.  RE: Examples of Contemporary Collecting Policies for Historical Societies

Posted 05-16-2017 11:36 AM
    Hi, Max,

Our board-approved collecting policy gives broad guidelines, and then we append more informal documents to it, including collecting  or "wish" lists.  For the second half of the twentieth century (relatively recent!) the museum developed a list of topics by hosting a panel discussion to identify what were some of the most important themes, events, and forces in our region over that time period.  This was before I worked here, but the panel included several staff, and I think at least one representative from the media, the political scene, and education. 

Lisa

Lisa Adam
    Registrar and Curator of Artifacts
    Museum of South Texas History
    Edinburg TX