Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Working with Next Generation of Museum Professionals

Posted 09-07-2017 12:37 PM
    ​My Curator and I have been working with interns and volunteers from our local Museum Studies graduate programs for a decade, having them complete projects at our small city history museum, providing them with thesis projects, and working for credit or just experience. Until recently we've had great success with them: they've been highly conscientious, well-trained, and professional.

Bur recently we've had a few students in a row that seemed much less mature than previous classes, particularly in the area of soft skills: consistent and meaningful communication, conscientiously meeting deadlines, interacting effectively in a team setting. We have heard from others that they are having similar difficulties with interns and volunteers in their early 20s, and now I'm wondering whether it is a digital native phenomenon. Are others having this experience, and have you found strategies that help you work more effectively with them?

------------------------------
    Elizabeth Stewart PhD
    Director
    Renton History Museum
    Renton WA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Working with Next Generation of Museum Professionals

Posted 09-08-2017 10:10 AM
    Elizabeth,

A lot has been written about the attributes and skills of various generations in the workplace. If you haven't done so, it would make sense to review some of the literature to help you sort out and address your situation.  It's important to understand that "soft skills" come with practice and young interns are at the beginning of this learning curve. That, coupled with the fact that students today use digital communication as their primary tool for work and social interaction. If you can wean them from the screen for awhile and help them with their soft skills development, you'll be doing them a big favor and, hopefully, they'll eventually repay your efforts with some really great work.

Here's one example overview from the Harvard Business Review: https://hbr.org/2014/09/managing-people-from-5-generations

And another from Forbes: 5 Generations in the Workplace (and Why We Need Them All)

Anne Ackerson
    Former Director, Museum Association of New York
    Troy NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Working with Next Generation of Museum Professionals

Posted 09-08-2017 01:11 PM
    ​Thanks, Anne--that's helpful! I am familiar with the literature about intergenerational workplaces and have even taken trainings about working across generations, but this cohort is something totally new! We'll keep working it--I appreciate the suggestions.

Liz

Elizabeth Stewart PhD
    Director
    Renton History Museum
    Renton WA

• 4.  RE: Working with Next Generation of Museum Professionals

Posted 09-12-2017 10:34 AM

Dear Elizabeth,

Could you please expand on the "digital natives" phenomenon. I have heard of the 'digital natives' attribution to the Millennials--is this the reference? After 25+ years in the college classroom and reading individual essays written about an art object in the museum, I have learned from my students that they actually valued the quiet, intimate spaces of the galleries. Also, in the focus groups I have facilitated I found that the 20-somethings often place a great deal of weight on 'meaning' in their professional pursuits.

Thanks so much.

Terri

President, Ren Associates; Developer imaginement®
    http://renassociates.com
    Independent Scholar, princetonresearchforum.org
    Telephone +1.609.371.5354
    Cell +1.609.638.5878