Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Museum courses

Posted 05-04-2020 01:41 PM
    Hi there, can anyone recommend some good resources or online courses that one could take to learn more about running a museum, curating, etc.? Thanks! 
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Museum courses

Posted 05-05-2020 09:00 AM
    Hello Robin:

Routledge Press tends to publish the best books on the processes and issues related to museums, some largely academic, others more "how-to", but a wide range. They have a website and I'm sure you can see their list of both past and present and upcoming titles.

I don't know if any of the museum studies programs -- such as the one in Cooperstown, N.Y -- are offering online courses now, because of the pandemic, but it's worth checking.  Curatorial studies programs probably not, but museum studies programs might be doing a bit of that.

In my own experience as a curator and art dealer the best books that are not how-to in nature but rather give one a good perspective and conceptualization of what museums are, how they vary, what they could be, as well as an understanding of the varying missions, practices, and processes of museums are good, general trade-audience books.  Alan Wallach's Exhibiting Contradictions:  Essays on the Art Museum in the United States; Victoria Newhouse's Towards a New Museum, and John Falk's and Lynn Dierking's The Museum Experience are three I like to which I return.  Enjoy!   Mara Miller

------------------------------
    Mara Jayne Miller

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Museum courses

Posted 05-06-2020 08:05 AM
    museumstudy.com has a lot of great online courses on various topics that are part time over 4 weeks : )

Laura Phillips
    Coordinator of Collections & Exhibitions, Aanischaaukamikw Cree Cultural Institute
    PhD Candidate, Cultural Studies, Queens University
    Canada

• 4.  RE: Museum courses

Posted 05-06-2020 06:05 PM
    As Laura mentioned we have a lot of courses and we also host courses for the American Association for State and Local History (AASLH). 
    You can find our course schedule here: http://www.museumstudy.com/courses/course-schedule/
    and AASLH's schedule here: http://www.museumstudy.com/courses/american-association-for-state-and-local-history/

Bradford Bredehoft
    CEO
    Museum Study, LLC

• 5.  RE: Museum courses

Posted 05-06-2020 08:01 PM
    Thanks, everyone! I appreciate it and will check out all sources mentioned!