Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Where to post an RFP for Strategic Planning

Posted 08-08-2019 01:04 PM
    Hi all,
    We are finalizing an RFP for a consultant/consulting firm to lead our strategic planning process. In addition to this group, I've love some suggestions for where to post the RFP once it's approved.

Thanks,
    Keni

------------------------------
    Keni Sturgeon
    Executive Director
    Wenatchee Valley Museum & Cultural Center
    Wenatchee WA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Where to post an RFP for Strategic Planning

Posted 08-09-2019 11:59 AM
    I did this a few years back and I recall using all the association forums that I was part of - I'm in New England so I used their discussion list; Museum-Ed has a list serve. We needed people in our region, so I focused more locally than nationally. I mailed it to some colleagues as well. Other professionals saw my post and rather than the actual consultant calling us direct, I had colleagues recommending people or passing along the RFP.  Is there any reason you couldn't send it direct to some consultants?

Dawn Salerno
    Executive Director
    Rotch-Jones-Duff House and Garden Museum
    New Bedford MA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Where to post an RFP for Strategic Planning

Posted 08-12-2019 08:18 AM
    I second Dawn's observations. As a consultant I am FAR more likely to respond to an RFP sent to be directly or forwarded by a friend, particularly one who knows the museum or the people who work there. Consultants tend to keep track of colleagues who do other work, so I would ask any independent workers you know for names or to send your RFP around - folks who development, collections, etc. may also know planners. For planning, I think it's an asset to understand the community or region, so if your colleagues were happy with their planner, no reason not to consider them! 

It is not uncommon for boards to want to look for planners who will bring fresh thinking to the process and go beyond people who concentrate on museums or arts and culture. That's often a good idea, particularly if your most critical issues are not museum-specific. So while you network among us, you might also ask other nonprofit leaders or service organizations near you. 

Laura

Laura Roberts
    Principal
    Roberts Consulting
    Cambridge MA

• 4.  RE: Where to post an RFP for Strategic Planning

Posted 08-12-2019 09:03 AM
    Hi Keni,

I have done this in the past as well, and I agree with Dawn's suggestions to ask colleagues in the region if they have gone through the process and can recommend anyone, and to send it directly to any potential consultants you know of. Also, in New England the regional association (NEMA) has a directory of various professional service providers. If you have a state organization you could see if they have something similar, and maybe the Western Museum Association does as well.

Good luck with the process,
    Gail

Gail Nessell Colglazier, Principal

Executive Searches for Museums

Londonderry, NH

• 5.  RE: Where to post an RFP for Strategic Planning

Posted 08-15-2019 09:19 AM
    Do yourself a favor and pre-qualify a manageable number of potential consultants. Identify your needs/scope clearly ("strategic plan" is a quite general term and has many interpretations) and search through the AAM Marketplace and other such sources to find firms or individuals whose skills align with your needs. If you post an RFP on general listserves (like this one) you will undoubtedly be inundated with many responses and you will quadruple the work of finding the three to five proponents to whom you should send an RFP. I'm happy to talk to you offline. Note: Strategic Planning is not something I routinely do, but I see many such plans in the work that I do.

Matthew Kirchman
    President | Creative Director
    ObjectIDEA
    Salem MA

• 6.  RE: Where to post an RFP for Strategic Planning

Posted 08-20-2019 05:04 PM
    Hi Keni - Here's someone in the region to add to your list.
    Taline is a dynamic thinker with a collaborative work practice most recently focused on incorporating diverse audiences.
    Give her a look!
    kuyumjianconsulting.com

Also, if you're interested in a user-centered strategy, I'm happy to have a chat about how you might set that up within your strategic planning efforts.
    www.digin-ux.com

-Stef

Stefanie Mabadi
    Dig In - UX
    Chicago IL

• 7.  RE: Where to post an RFP for Strategic Planning

Posted 08-21-2019 11:51 AM
    Hi Keni

I would look at using rfp-leads,com which is certainly one of the best of its kind for North America.

Bill

Bill Hart
    Director
    Cultural Innovations Ltd.
    London

• 8.  RE: Where to post an RFP for Strategic Planning

Posted 08-22-2019 06:06 AM
    As one more suggestion, offered by an academic, is to contact your nearest college of business and ask if any faculty who teach strategy might be interested in leading a strategic planning process. I and several of my colleagues have been contacted by local not for profits and have, in some cases, donated our expertise as part of our service to our communities or found a way to incorporate the process into a class we are teaching. If your interest is in spreading your rfp across a wide net, then this might be worth trying.

Robert Ford PhD
    Professor Emeritus
    Rollins College
    Winter Park FL

• 9.  RE: Where to post an RFP for Strategic Planning

Posted 08-22-2019 10:54 AM
    Hi Keni,

Sorry for the late response. A lot of architectural firms that specialize with cultural institutions also do strategic planning.​ I have worked with both, consultants that do it and architects over the past 25+ years. If you can email me link of RFP you are issuing, happy to forward to firms not mentioned below to be sure they know/see it. Let me know. Thanks.

Art

Art Manask
    Principal
    Art Manask Consulting, Inc.
    artmanask@gmail.com
    818 358-3588