Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  The contributions of freelance educators to lifelong learning

Posted 03-15-2018 11:58 AM
    Dear All,

For the past fifteen years, I have encouraged an interest in plants and nature through art, science, and interpretation. While this continues to be part of my practice, I am moving forward with another one of my longtime interests which is the nature of work in informal environmental education.

My current project, The Freelance Condition & Lifelong Learning in Communities, is an investigation into the contributions informal educators make to lifelong learning. This research focuses specifically on the contributions of freelance informal educators who address plants, nature, and related topics in their work. I am focusing on freelance informal educators in particular because they are not bound to one location and have the opportunity to create change in many different settings.

Who are these freelance educators?

What do they do?

Where do they work?

How do they lead?

What do they need to be better leaders?

These are some of the questions I seek to answer.

If you are a freelance educator who addresses plants, nature, and related topics in your work, please consider sharing your story. You can learn more about the conversations I hope to have at https://www.taniamarien.com/freelance-info

Thank you for your time,

Tania

------------------------------
    Tania Marien
    Educator/Interpreter
    Riverside, CA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: The contributions of freelance educators to lifelong learning

Posted 03-16-2018 02:48 PM
    Hi, Tania -

I forwarded your post to friend and colleague Lori Spencer (bflyspencer8@gmail.com), who is a long-time interpreter who presents programs to schools and other groups (mostly about butterflies, if memory serves). You might also want to send your query to NAI , since their membership ranks are filled with both freelance/independent and employees who teach in these areas. I'd email either Margo Carlock (exec. dir), mcarlock@interpnet.com or Paul Caputo, pcaputo@interpnet.com.

Judy
    Greenfire Creative, LLC

Judy Brenneman
    Owner
    Fort Collins CO
    judyb@greenfire-creative.com

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: The contributions of freelance educators to lifelong learning

Posted 03-19-2018 11:37 AM
    Hi Judy,

Thank you so much. As for NAI, I did notify them. Information will go out to members through the electronic newsletter.

Thank you again. I appreciate your help.

Tania

Tania Marien
    Educator/Interpreter
    Riverside, CA