Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Free Interactive Websites/Programs for Tablets

Posted 02-25-2022 10:31 AM
    Hi everyone! I am currently revamping the school tour program at the museum I am intern curator at. One of the things I am introducing is the use of technology in some of the key historical buildings in the pioneer village. I am planning to purchase Amazon Fire Tablets that students and future guests can interact with to learn more about a specific artifact, showcase additional images, fun facts, etc.. The problem is that I am stuck on what is the best way to make the visitor-selected interactive. I have been looking at ThingLink, but wasn't sure if anyone had any luck with PowerPoint or another program? I am looking for a free program/website where these types of things can be made and displayed on the tablet. If you have any info or tips on what you've used, it would be greatly appreciated!

------------------------------
    Kaitlynn Anderson
    Interning Curator
    Cass County Historical Society-Bonanzaville
    West Fargo ND
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Free Interactive Websites/Programs for Tablets

Posted 02-25-2022 10:39 AM
    Hi,
    It seems to me like you need to position QR Codes in your site for visitors to go to specific Web pages for additional information with lent devices or their own.
    Good luck...

--

Jean-Luc Vincent

Administrateur du SIA
    Direction des collections, de la conservation et de la restauration
    Direction générale des affaires autochtones et du patrimoine culturel
    Parcs Canada, Gouvernement du Canada
    2630, chemin Sheffield, Ottawa, Ontario, K1B 3V7
    Messages: jeanluc.vincent.parcsparks@gmail.com / Cell. non fiable 613-720-4418 / Fax 613-990-6627

Je travail dans le territoire non cédé et non rendu du peuple Anishinaabe ou Algonquin.

AIS Administrator
    Collections, Curatorial and Conservation Branch
    Indigenous Affairs and Cultural Heritage Directorate
    Parks Canada, Government of Canada
    2630 Sheffield Road, Ottawa, Ontario, K1B 3V7
    Messages: jeanluc.vincent.parcsparks@gmail.com / Cell. unreliable 613-720-4418 / Fax 613-990-6627

I work in the unceded and unsurrendered territory of the Anishinaabe or Algonquin people.

450 000 km2 de souvenirs
     / 450 000 km2 of memories

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Free Interactive Websites/Programs for Tablets

Posted 02-28-2022 12:26 PM
    At a previous job I used Intuiface to create a simple interactive. You don't need to know coding to work, but it does take some time to set up because there is a bit of a learning curve. But there are lots of tutorials for it. It functions on if/then statements. Example: If I hit the blue button in the corner, then this text box pops up, etc. 

There is a free version, but you can only use it on a certain number devices (I want to say 2 or 3) and they put their logo in the bottom right corner.

Sarah Rosenkrans
    Exhibit and Education Assistant
    Indiana University Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology
    Bloomington IN