Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  United Nations International Year of Glass

Posted 08-31-2021 09:21 PM
    Dear Museum Colleagues:

I am writing to bring some exciting news to museums that specialize in glass art, science or technology, or have glass as part of their collections. I am looking for a method through AAM that would disseminate this information. Perhaps someone can be of assistance.

After extensive promotional and endorsement efforts from an international constituency of museum leaders, academics, industry and science/technology areas, the United Nations approved to declare 2022 as the International Year of Glass on May 18, 2021.

I am the former Executive Director of Bergstrom-Mahler Museum of Glass and currently on the board of the Art Alliance For Contemporary Glass. This organization is seeking to promote and encourage glass related events, exhibits and programming on behalf of the International Year of Glass 2022 international steering committee managing this exciting International celebration. In addition, the art of Contemporary American Studio Glass celebrates a 60 year anniversary in 2022. AACG is acting as a conduit to encourage sharing of pertinent events on an international scale and calendar. If interested, please reply to me or visit the International Year of Glass. Website.

Information on the international year of glass can be found at www.IYOG22.org.

Sent from my iPad
    Jan Mirenda Smith
    Retired Executive Director of Bergstrom-Mahler Museum of Glass
    Principal at Contrapposto Muse Strategies LLC
    Board Member, Art Alliance for Contemporary Glass
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: United Nations International Year of Glass

Posted 09-01-2021 06:22 AM
    Interesting. We don't have a huge collection of glass, but we could highlight a small collection display in the period rooms or something similar. 

When I tried the link, I discovered that the website is actually https://www.iyog2022.org
    2022 is used with all 4 numerals.

Laura Vookles

Chair, Curatorial Department

HUDSON RIVERMUSEUM

511 Warburton Avenue

Yonkers, NY 10701

(914) 963-4550 x220

hrm.orgFacebookInstagramTwitterYouTube

MUSEUM HOURS
    Thursday–Sunday, 12–5pm
    Advance Tickets Encouraged

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: United Nations International Year of Glass

Posted 09-01-2021 09:08 AM
    Laura
    Thanks for checking on this and pointing out the discrepancy. I missed that.

If you do feature a selection of your glass collection or offer a program please forward dates for the international calendar. That’s exciting.

Sent from my iPhone
    Jan Mirenda Smith