Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Embark and other collections databases

Posted 08-29-2019 09:57 AM
    Hello,
    We are a small organization with a collection of about 20,000 items. Currently using TMS which is really more robust than needed. Down the road we may want to move to different software. Any feedback for Embark? Or other programs?

Feel free to contact me directly, also. Thank you!

Mary Douglas

Collections Manager

Kamm Teapot Foundation

1950 Flintstone Drive

Statesville NC 28677

704-876-1180 office

704-881-4664 cell

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Embark and other collections databases
    Best Answer

Posted 08-30-2019 08:28 AM
    Hello Mary-- we are on Embark here at the MAG with a collection about the same size. We've been on it for almost 20 years, I think. It was our first database, so we entered everything in from our old catalogue cards, so I can't tell you how well it works when you're importing your old database. I know our Embark/webmistress did a lot of customizing early on in the process, to make it look and work the way we wanted, but I feel like it's been pretty smooth since then. I would be happy to answer questions if you want to e-mail me directly.

------------------------------
    Kerry Schauber
    Research Assistant
    Memorial Art Gallery of the University of Rochester
    Rochester NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Embark and other collections databases

Posted 09-09-2019 10:50 AM
    Thank you for your replies, which are most helpful! 

Mary Douglas

Mary Douglas
    Collections Manager
    Kamm Teapot Foundation
    Statesville NC

• 4.  RE: Embark and other collections databases

Posted 08-30-2019 08:00 PM
    Hi Mary,

We also have about 20,000-ish objects in our collection and are currently using Embark. But we feel Embark is a bit too robust and too expensive for our needs, so we're actually gearing up to make the move to CatalogIt (catalogit.app) Have you checked them out? Let me know if you'd like to hear more about our decision making process. It's largely been driven by our permanent collections registrar, Ashleigh Crocker and I know she would be happy to talk with you. 

Hope you have a great holiday weekend!

My best,
    Erin

Erin Aitali

Exhibitions Registrar

Crocker Art Museum

O: (916) 808-8675
    eaitali@crockerartmuseum.org

Exhibitions, classes, programs & more:

crockerart.org / @crockerart

Erin Aitali
    Exhibitions Registrar
    Crocker Art Museum
    Sacramento CA