Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Exhibits Design, Fabrication and Installation Timelines

Posted 07-09-2018 07:54 PM
    Hello All,

I am the VP of Programs, Interpretation and Exhibits for a midsize organization. We do the majority of our exhibit design and fabrication in house. We have a one person exhibits team that is all things to all people. :-)  I'm wondering if folks could share with me any resources that they may have for setting Exhibits Design, Fabrication and Installation Timelines. And any advice on the typical amount of time it may take to bring an exhibit from idea to realization. I would appreciate personal examples too if you have them.

Thanks in advance!
    Parker

------------------------------
    Parker McMullen Bushman
    Vice President of Programs, Interpretation, and Exhibits
    Butterfly Pavilion
    Westminster CO
    pmcmullenbushman@butterflies.org
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Exhibits Design, Fabrication and Installation Timelines

Posted 07-10-2018 10:37 AM
    More depends in this question than in a nursing home.  I have mounted small exhibits in a month, from concept to installation.  These were mostly text panels with minimal artifacts in cases.  Bigger exhibits with complex installation environments I have spent two years on.  With a one man band, your times may be more.

David Beard
    Executive Director
    USS KIDD Veterans Memorial Museum
    Baton Rouge LA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Exhibits Design, Fabrication and Installation Timelines

Posted 07-10-2018 11:56 AM
    Hi,
    For the production of graphics, I generally like to give a good print shop 7-14 days, if possible to produce the panels. Check with your vendor on how much time they like. Also, when you are working up your timeline, factor in time for proofing/approvals of the graphics before they go to print. For a small exhibit, I usually leave one or two days for this, since there can be lag time in people getting back to you.
    ~Dawn

Dawn Renee Farkas Prasad
    Graphic Designer for Exhibits,
    Natural History Museum of Utah - University of Utah
    Salt Lake City UT