Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Acquisitions from estates

Posted 11-19-2018 01:39 PM
    Hello friends!

Recently, an executrix for an estate contacted our museum about donating items from her friend's estate which she is overseeing. To my knowledge the deceased individual did not bequeath these items to the museum in her will. The executrix thought that the objects would benefit the museum (and they do) and I think, she just felt bad about potentially throwing said objects away or giving them to Goodwill. 

I have not dealt with this specific situation before. I have documentation that the executrix has authority over the estate from the county register of wills. My question is: what other documentation or transfer is required to complete the transaction? Is our standard deed of gift enough? 

Thanks for your input!

------------------------------
    Valerie Seiber
    Collections Manager
    The Hershey Story: The Museum on Chocolate Avenue
    Hershey PA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Acquisitions from estates

Posted 11-20-2018 07:32 AM
    Hello Valerie,

It appears that the answer to your question is simple, straightforward, and positive. If the objects are being offered to your museum by an executrix, you can treat the situation as you would any donation. You can accept, decline, or negotiate, and of course, use your standard deed of gift. 

Best,
    Bruce

Bruce MacLeish
    Curator Emeritus, Newport Restoration Foundation
    Cooperstown NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Acquisitions from estates

Posted 11-20-2018 12:56 PM
    Hi Valerie -
    As collectors of antique scales, we regularly deal with estates. We use our standard deed of gift, which specifies that the giver has the authority to make the donation.

Regards,
    Greg Moss, Chairperson
    Museum Planning Committee
    International Society of Antique Scale Collectors
    Pittsburgh, PA

Virus-free. www.avast.com