Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Sand Creek Massacre exhibit

Posted 02-09-2017 09:51 PM
    Hi all AAM colleagues,
    I would like to propose creating a traveling exhibit concerning the Sand Creek Massacre in southern Colorado.

I’m not sure how this can all be accomplished exactly so I will simply ask.
    Is there is an AAM museum or a collection of museums and institutions, with interest and the means to sponsor the fabrication, 
    scholarship, writing, travel, production of this project? 
    What if skills and talent could be pooled to collaborate to create a high quality, professional storytelling of the Sand Creek Massacre?
    Thoughtful visual presentation, great story and artifacts could create an educational presentation that I imagine
    traveling to schools everywhere, and to reservations across the country. 
    After a traveling period, the exhibit could find a worthy home with some Native American institution, preserving and protecting heritage.
    Tribal traditions, descendants and their active participation and perspective, language and stories of the event would
    be critical to engagement by all, making this a scholarly and inclusive and inspiring production.
    Might there be interest in forming a collaborative team of writers, producers, funding/finance, fabricators, trucking, travel, staff…
    My contribution would as art director, exhibit designer and I believe I can arrange tribal connections.
    I believe a beautiful, educational and inspiring presentation will help keep the history alive and may even help heal wounds.
    I feel so strongly about taking the country the way we did that perhaps this is could be a little giving back.
    Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions. And if there is a better way of reaching out, let me know that too!
    Thanks, 
    Justin Deister
    303-665-7542

------------------------------
    Justin Deister
    Louisville CO
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Sand Creek Massacre exhibit

Posted 02-10-2017 10:11 AM

The need for artifacts, fabricators, shipping/trucking carriers, etc. suggests a scale consistent with exhibits that travel to museums, but it sounds like you're interested in aiming the exhibit at schools.  This is an interesting proposition, but the capabilities and limitations of each type of venue are significantly different.  Do you envision the end product to be an event - more akin to a performance or expo- with space and security needs that last only a day, or a week?  Or is it intended to stay for a few months like most traveling museum exhibits?  

Michael

Michael Holland
    Principal/Owner
    Michael Holland Productions
    Bozeman MT

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Sand Creek Massacre exhibit

Posted 02-10-2017 10:26 AM
    History Colorado in Denver did an exhibit project some years back. Kathryn Hill was the director of public programs there at the time, now she is now CEO at the Levine Museum of New South in Charlotte, NC. My understanding, from some distance, is that this was a very tough project and History CO got caught between the expectations of Native and white stakeholders. The exhibit was eventually removed as a result.

Daniel Spock
    Director, MN History Center Museum
    Minnesota Historical Society
    Saint Paul MN

• 4.  RE: Sand Creek Massacre exhibit

Posted 02-10-2017 11:40 AM
    I suspect the best place to start is with the Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site. I know that have hoped to repurpose a building in Eads for a permanent exhibit about the event, but I don't know where that effort is today.  But I do know that they NPS works hand in hand with the tribes on telling this story, and that partnership is the best place to start.

Mary Oswell
    Westminster CO

• 5.  RE: Sand Creek Massacre exhibit

Posted 02-10-2017 02:15 PM
    The Anchorage Museum currently has a small exhibition titled, Without Boundaries: Visual Conversations. It was guest curated by Indigenous artist Sonya Kelliher-Combs and has artwork from Indigenous artists from around the world (currently about 1500 sq feet). Edgar Heap of Birds has a powerful series of monoprints titled, Dead Indian Stories in the exhibition. The artwork addresses the Sand Creek and Washita Creek Massacres. Edgar traveled to present as part of the exhibition and gave a great presentation. We also hosted James Luna's Ishi play, a sewing bee with Emily Johnson, an artist-led tour of the exhibition with Larry McNeil, and a presentation by Shan Goshorn about her artwork.

Sonya's exhibition covers many issues from misrepresentation of Native cultures, boarding schools, climate change, commodification of culture, sovereign boundaries and place names, appropriation, blood quantum, and identity and comes out of a series of curated conversations that started in 2015. The exhibition will travel and is closing here on Sunday, February 12th. The content was directed to the general public and was most profound to our visiting high school students. Good luck with your project, Angela

Without Boundaries: Visual Conversations
    Anchorage Museum remove preview
    View this on Anchorage Museum >

Edgar Heap of Birds

Angela Demma
    von der Heydt Curator
    Anchorage Museum
    Anchorage AK