Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Best Artist House/ Museums

Posted 06-13-2018 10:23 AM

Hi All, 

What are the BEST artist homes that you have visited / worked at from both an interpretation and a curation standpoint? Looking for inspiration in my own work as far as best practices. Would love to visit and/or speak with staff. 

Thanks so for your input!

------------------------------
    Katrina Stacy
    Curator of Education and Interpretation
    Georgia O'Keeffe Museum
    Santa Fe NM
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Best Artist House/ Museums

Posted 06-14-2018 07:19 AM
    Dear Colleagues,

The Pollock-Krasner House in Springs, Long Island, New York is amazing. The Director, Helen Harrison, helps visitors understand the story of two artists, the times in which they worked, their impact upon other artists, and their lives together. Moreover, she organizes exhibitions that explore the continuing impact of Abstract Expressionism. 

I hope that that you will find it an inspiration. 

SIncerely,
    Barbara

Barbara Applegate
    Director
    Steinberg Museum of Art
    Brookville NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Best Artist House/ Museums

Posted 06-14-2018 08:36 AM
    Hi,
    Besides O'Keeefee home and studio....Olana State Historic Site, Hudson, NY. (I have to add that I used to work for them...but that also means I have seen the site grow and progess, thanks to hard eitk of many.) 
    Visit if you can!!
    Deborah

Deborah Trupin
    Textile Conservator
    Trupin Conservation Services, LLC
    Albany NY

• 4.  RE: Best Artist House/ Museums

Posted 06-14-2018 08:56 AM
    J. Alden Weir's house, aka Weir Farm, Ridgefield, CT is beautifully done and interpreted, and the Florence Griswold House--not a studio, but a boarding house for a gang of artists. And two others: Chesterwood--the home of Daniel Chester French in MA, and Homer's Studio and the Olson House (Wyeth) in Maine. The Olson house isn't Wyeth's studio, but a place he visited, painted and loved. It's a place where visitors can connect with him.

Joan Baldwin
    Curator-Special Collections - The Hotchkiss School
    Lakeville CT

• 5.  RE: Best Artist House/ Museums

Posted 06-14-2018 09:20 AM

As a visitor I love the Wharton Esherick Museum in Malvern, PA, which immerses you in his creativity and quirky pragmatism. I knew very little about him going into the tour and it was simply delightful [though note that one can only see the house via guided tour].

-- 

Sonja P. Reid, Exhibition Coordinator

Art Galleries at Black Studies

Black Studies at The University of Texas at Austin

210 W 24th St. / Mailcode D7200

Austin, TX 78705

O: 512-232-6611

C: 512-709-3932

• 6.  RE: Best Artist House/ Museums

Posted 06-14-2018 10:46 AM
    At the top of my list are Olana State Historic Site near Hudson, NY, Chesterwood near Stockbridge, MA and the St. Gaudens National Historic Site near Cornish, NH…but you’ve probably already visited those! I went to them back in the ‘90s, but they seem to have some pretty fine new programs.

James Bryant
    SOJOURN Science - Nature - Education
    Santa Fe, NM
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/james-bryant-0598a940/

• 7.  RE: Best Artist House/ Museums

Posted 06-15-2018 10:27 AM
    The C.M. Russell Museum campus has his art studio, house, and large museum dedicated to the artist and western art and culture. 

https://cmrussell.org

Alexandria Hunt
    Assistant Curator
    Monterey Museum of Art
    Monterey CA

• 8.  RE: Best Artist House/ Museums

Posted 06-15-2018 12:46 PM
    The challenge of interpreting artists' homes is an important one that has seen little discussion at professional conferences.   Would any (many) of those who are interested in the topic consider developing a session proposal for the 2019 AAM Annual Meeting in New Orleans?    For me, the multiple foci of maintaining the artists' "original" workspace, updating or changing exhibits for repeat visitors, and often serving as the  local history museum, make this a great subject for in-depth examination.   Since many of these institutions are often smaller museums, the Small Museum Administrators Committee of AAM would be happy to help with the proposal.

Janice Klein
    Executive Director
    Museum Association of Arizona
    (in my SMAC-AAM Board Member hat)
    Tempe AZ

• 9.  RE: Best Artist House/ Museums

Posted 06-15-2018 11:16 AM
    ​Many of the mentioned artist's homes are partner sites of the National Trust for Historic Preservation's Historic Artists Homes & Studios (HAHS) program, as is my own workplace, T.C. Steele State Historic Site in rural Nashville, Indiana.  Personally, I love my own site (no bias here, right?), but there are a number of incredible sites that are part of the program.  Check out Historic Artists' Homes & Studios | Witness Creativity for a complete listing, info and links.  I haven't visited all of them (yet), but agree with the recommendations below.  Olana and Wharton Esherick are among my personal favorites for completely different reasons--the sites are polar opposites in terms of scale and aesthetics, but like all the HAHS sites are impressive in their authenticity.

Andrea deTarnowsky, Historic Site Manager
    T.C. Steele State Historic Site
    Indiana State Museum & Historic Sites system
    Nashville IN

• 10.  RE: Best Artist House/ Museums

Posted 06-18-2018 08:21 AM
    The Donald Judd home/studio complex in Marfa TX and also his home and studio in New York City are both excellent. I also agree with Chesterwood, Olana and the Pollock Krasner house...all are excellent.

Augusta Barone

New York NY