Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Session Proposal on Diversity and Inclusion in Museum

Posted 08-31-2017 03:18 PM
    ​​I'm thinking about submitting a proposal for a session that would be a follow-up to AAM's 2017 conference focus and theme of diversity and inclusion.  Could you share with me if your and/or colleagues departed the conference and took immediate action on improving diversity and inclusion in your museum?  If so, what are you doing or what did you do to that end? 

If such a session is of interest to you and you'd like to join in on a session proposal, please let me know.

------------------------------
    Nona Martin
    Manager, Public Programs
    Smithsonian American Art Museum
    Washington DC
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Session Proposal on Diversity and Inclusion in Museum

Posted 09-01-2017 11:30 AM
    Hi, I submitted one yesterday. I would love to speak with you more about it and perhaps collaborate. Please feel free to contact me at areed@museumca.org. Thanks

Ayanna

Ayanna Reed MBA
    Director, Human Resources
    Oakland Museum of California
    Oakland CA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Session Proposal on Diversity and Inclusion in Museum

Posted 09-04-2017 06:41 PM
    I think it would be valuable to share some quantitative data about the lack of diversity and the exclusion that was being experienced by the various groups in the population at large.  In other words, what were the messages from the oppressed or disenfranchised, which drove the decision to set that theme?  Paulo Freire cautioned us, that only the oppressed can author their liberation.  "The oppressors...cannot find...the strength to liberate either the oppressed or themselves....Any attempt to 'soften' the power of the oppressor in deference to the weakness of the oppressed almost always manifests itself in the form of false generosity" (Pedagogy of the Oppressed, p. 28).

Joe Elliott
    PhD student
    Galveston TX
    jmelliot@utmb.edu