Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  App to accompany museum map and guide

Posted 01-24-2017 05:04 PM
    Good Afternoon,
    We have gone through many iterations of a campus map and guide of activities and demonstrations that take place each day, and as we look to the future, we are interesting in having a companion app that visitors could download before or during their visit that would be an interactive guide to the daily schedule and give wayfinding assistance that might allow them to build a menu of activities with notifications, etc. Anyone out there have experience with this kind of thing, and are there any developers you would recommend, or are there extant apps that could be formatted for our use?
    Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    Rachel Thomas-Shapiro
    Working Waterfront Supervisor, Interpretation Department
    Mystic Seaport Museum
    Mystic CT
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: App to accompany museum map and guide

Posted 01-25-2017 06:29 AM
    We have done a lot of app work for many museums in New England. Our biggest user is Newport Mansions with almost a million visitations. We would love to help out.

This message is for exclusive use by the person to whom it is addressed. It contains information that is confidential or privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: App to accompany museum map and guide

Posted 01-25-2017 09:07 AM
    Edited by Michael Mackay 01-25-2017 09:07 AM
    We've looked at doing this type of companion tech for a few organisations, generally in HTML5 format that can rest on your website, and can be run on any device without a download.  One thing we've also looked at is using game based mechanics to create interactive maps that guide visitors through exhibits via play, and can be tied in directly to specific exhibits.  And since it rests on your web site, it can also be tied into your marketplace, or admissions, as well as other media already on your site to encourage re-visits, as well as increase your front-end valuation by simultaneously gathering data on visitor interest, engagement and knowledge of the topics.

Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Michael Mackay
    Manager, Sales & Marketing
    Michael.Mackay@spongelab.com
    Spongelab Interactive
    Toronto ON

• 4.  RE: App to accompany museum map and guide

Posted 01-25-2017 09:27 AM
    You may want to check out a company called Guidekick Guidekick: Museum Mobile Apps, CMS Platforms, and Analytics.  I understand that they are doing some really cool things with wayfinding in particular.
    Guidekick remove preview
    Guidekick: Museum Mobile Apps, CMS Platforms, and Analytics
    Guidekick is an industry-leading team that develops award-winning mobile solutions for museums and attractions.
    View this on Guidekick >

Jeff Danziger
    Regional Sales Director - USA
    Norwalk CT

• 5.  RE: App to accompany museum map and guide

Posted 01-25-2017 09:44 AM
      |   view attached
    Hi Rachel

Guidekick has extensive experience in producing wayfinding maps for websites and apps.  Please take a look at Hearst Castle, deYoung and Legion of Honor for examples.

We recently installed a 3D wayfinding map on a kiosk at Asian Art and will be launching shortly at Mt. Vernon, Indianapolis Airport and the National Gallery in DC.

Our apps provide full analytics including heat mapping providing information regarding your visitors.  Please take a look at the attached deck.  

I welcome the opportunity to meet with you and provide you a demo.

Mark LoGiurato
    Director of Business Development
    Guidekick
    203-505-4086

Attachment(s)

pdf
    guidekick_intro.pdf   2.51 MB 1 version

• 6.  RE: App to accompany museum map and guide

Posted 01-25-2017 11:57 AM
    Hello!

My company, Encurate Mobile Technology, provides museums with the tools to create their own custom mobile apps. Using our content management system you would be in full control of your app's content, including updating it and changing it whenever you'd like. It's very simple to use and billed on a monthly subscription model with no upfront cost. All of our apps include an interactive map and are beacon based.

I'll also add that during recent visitor studies with one of our clients we discovered that nearly 100% of the visitors using the app preferred using the interactive map during their visit to see what was around them that matched their interests. Regardless of who you choose to work with, I think an interactive map is a great way to go for the visitor!

Happy to answer any questions you have or chat sometime.

Kind regards,
    Nancy

Nancy Harmon
    Chief Curatorial Officer
    Encurate Mobile Technology
    Chicago, IL

• 7.  RE: App to accompany museum map and guide

Posted 01-26-2017 03:20 PM
    Hi. I'm a grad student in the JHU Museum Studies Program. I just attended an On-site Seminar in San Diego where we worked with the Cuseum app group in creating an app for the Museum of Man.

If you're looking for something where the backend software is already done with a basic layout where you input the information you want to include, then I highly recommend them. VERY easy to use as the 20 seminar students varied from curators to interpreters to designers. No CMS or design knowledge required. Check them out. 

Cuseum - Museum Engagement Platform
    Cuseum remove preview
    Cuseum powers mobile-first experiences that help museums engage their visitors. Our software platform makes it easy for museums, cultural institutions, and public attractions to publish mobile apps, manage their collections, access visitor analytics, and generate new revenue opportunities.
    View this on Cuseum >

I

Karen Polesky
    Museum Exhibit Graphic Designer

• 8.  RE: App to accompany museum map and guide

Posted 01-26-2017 04:22 PM
    Hi Rachel,

Happy to chat about how some of the museums we work are addressing the challenges you mentioned. Feel free to shoot me an email at dan@cuseum.com! Looking forward to connecting! 

Cuseum remove preview
    Cuseum powers mobile-first experiences that help museums engage their visitors. Our software platform makes it easy for museums, cultural institutions, and public attractions to publish mobile apps, manage their collections, access visitor analytics, and generate new revenue opportunities.
    View this on Cuseum >

Or fe

Dan Sullivan
    Partnerships
    Cuseum
    Boston MA