Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Temporary Identification Methods

Posted 03-28-2019 01:43 PM
    Hi all,

I am currently working on inventorying a collection of objects that have not been accessed yet. Does anyone have any good tips or ideas for temporarily fixing ID numbers and labels to the items? Ideally I want something that can travel with the piece as we move it around, but can also be removed without damaging the condition of the item. 

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Emily Tipton
    Curator of Collections & Archivist
    Antique Gas & Steam Engine Museum
    Vista, CA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Temporary Identification Methods

Posted 03-29-2019 08:12 AM
    Hi Emily,

Can you give more detail about what these objects are? It would depend a lot on the materials, size, etc. (speaking as a former Exhibition Coordinator, Art Handler and Matting/Framing A<g class="gr_ gr_236 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="236" data-gr-id="236">ssistant</g> here)

Kiku Langford McDonald
    she/her/hers
    Database Manager
    RISD Museum
    Providence RI

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Temporary Identification Methods

Posted 04-05-2019 03:22 PM
    The items range from empty wine bottles to wooden wine barrels. Some of the items cannot have a label attached as there is no way to attach it easily to the item. 

Thanks!

Emily Tipton
    Curator of Collections & Archivist
    Antique Gas & Steam Engine Museum
    Vista, CA

• 4.  RE: Temporary Identification Methods

Posted 04-08-2019 09:57 AM
    Thanks for the detail. I agree with Rachel Moats' suggestion for using hang tags that can be tied to the object and easily removed. I was asking because I've also dealt with works on paper where there may not be somewhere to attach a hang tag. If any of the objects you're talking about fall under that category, let us know!

Kiku Langford McDonald
    she/her/hers
    Database Manager
    RISD Museum
    Providence RI

• 5.  RE: Temporary Identification Methods

Posted 03-29-2019 02:59 PM
    Edited by Rachel Moats 03-29-2019 02:59 PM
    Hi Emily,

When I was involved in a collection review we would tag items with yellow merchandise tags (the ones with strings) so that the accession number and any other information could be seen easily and move with the object without being permenant or damaging the object. For instance, if we needed to tag a chair we would write the accession number on both sides of the tag and string it to the chair back or legs. We would also give temporary accession numbers (ie. T.2018.3.29) to keep track of everything in a database before it got an official accession number. 

Rachel Moats
    Masters of Information Archives and Records Management Candidate (expected 2019)
    Masters of Museum Studies Candidate (expected 2019)
    Communications Representative, ACA Student Chapter
    iSchool Student Ambassador, Events and Tours