Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Hybrid live and virtual public programs

Posted 06-16-2021 10:15 AM
    All,
    As the Lowe Art Museum looks to reopen in August we are considering how we can host hybrid live/virtual events. Basically live stream something like a lecture and panel discussion, etc. I am thinking first how we might use Zoom to do this. I want to know if anyone is currently doing this with Zoom and how. Just trying to assess how much staff and technology resources we would need to dedicate and get a sense of the quality of the experience. Also curious how things link slide presentations might be handled rather than a basic broadcast where the slides might not be very visible.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------
    Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Digital Experience Manager and Head of Education
    Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami
    Coal Gables, FL
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Hybrid live and virtual public programs

Posted 06-17-2021 09:27 AM
    I think a lot of us are grappling with this new reality.  We, at the Harwood, have been able to do a couple events in our Auditorium and broadcast on Zoom and Facebook Live with very little tech. They each involved a PowerPoint presentation and speaker.  It was simply doing a Zoom presentation and sharing it like we would in a virtual environment, while also sharing with the live audience in the Auditorium. They were not large events so we were ok with testing out the tech. One speaker wanted to be in the middle of the stage and not by the laptop being used for Zoom, so sound was not great for the Facebook Live audience.  Also hard to have notes appear for the speaker while trying to accommodate the two platforms at once (as the Zoom audience sees the presenter's screen).  

I am sure there are more successful and costly solutions out there, so look forward to hearing how we are now bridging our new normal  

Sincerely, 

Juniper Leherissey
    Executive Director
    Harwood Museum of Art
    Taos, NM

Juniper Manley
    Director
    Harwood Museum of Art
    Taos NM

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Hybrid live and virtual public programs

Posted 06-18-2021 06:43 AM

We have been doing the same kind of thing at my grad program for the past two semesters. Hybrid teaching mode with students in the classroom and students, sometimes with presenters, on Zoom. Because interaction among all is expected, the Zoom is projected on a large screen.

I deal with similar situations at my church where we have fewer tools. We host hybrid group ZOOMS  and we livestream services once a week

The most difficult part of assuring the effectiveness of any of these experiences  is sound quality.
    Auxiliary microphones need to be placed to pick up sound clearly from many locations.  Even small Hybrid Zoom meetings benefit from a usb mic with a 6 foot cable that captures clear sound from within a 20 ft radius. This plugs into the laptop being used for the Zoom.  

In church services we use a MEVO livestream camera with input through a mini sound board from our house sound system. Clear sound that is balanced comes from the stationary and mobile mics used for the services

There can be a steep learning curve in selecting and testing equipment and systems. Be prepared to learn through failures. Find professionals to assist you in securing the right equipment, systems, and online platforms for your spaces. Budget for it. Pay someone to lead this effort. It will not disappear post COVID shutdowns.  

Remember that clear audible audio is about 70% of your presentation success or failure from the viewer experience.

Kathryn Boardman
    Faculty
    Cooperstown Graduate Program - SUNY at Oneonta
    Cooperstown NY

• 4.  RE: Hybrid live and virtual public programs

Posted 06-18-2021 12:36 PM
    Thank you! Your insights are much appreciated.

Best

Mark

Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Digital Experience Manager and Head of Education
    Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami
    Coal Gables, FL

• 5.  RE: Hybrid live and virtual public programs

Posted 06-21-2021 11:03 AM
    We too are taking time to think and plot out what hybrid events could look like going forward. 

I'm really interested if folks here have recorded any of them and can share links/examples of some of the better/best? 

Our hybrid events thus far have included a few people in person presenting with audience completely online. You can see examples on our YouTube channel: http://go.iu.edu/CRHCYouTube

I'll echo Katie Boardman's statement that clean, clear audio is the lion's share of the audience's perceptions of quality. 

Unfortunately, my institution is housed in a converted swimming pool-quality audio from echoey, brick walls with absolutely zero sound dampening has been a huge challenge for us; not to mention my learning curve as a museum curator and not a television producer. :) 

Best of luck, and please keep us posted about your journey on this! 

Warmly,

George Garner (he/him/his)
    Assistant Director & Curator
    Civil Rights Heritage Center - Indiana University, South Bend
    South Bend IN