Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  AAM Session Proposal on Career Building Needs More Panelists

Posted 09-04-2018 01:28 PM
    Hi All,

I am looking to find a few more co-presenters at the 2018 Annual Meeting for a panel on career transitions. The session would discuss moving from a part-time front of house staff position into building a career. I started my museum work as a PT visitor services associate and worked my way through my organization to a manager position. I want to share my insights, both victories and struggles, with the current crop of new museum professionals who may be just leaving school and looking into getting into the field. Some of my other museum colleagues also made this transition and have agreed to be on the panel to share as well. This would be part of the career management track and I am looking for people from other museums and disciplines to add their voice to this discussion. If you also made the transition from a pt/FOH role to a full time position and want to share your experience (the good and the challenging), please contact me about being a part of the panel.

You can message me here or email me directly at akrueger930@gmail.com.

Thanks,
    Alex

------------------------------
    Alexandra Krueger
    Manager of Museum Affairs
    New York Historical Society
    New York NY
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: AAM Session Proposal on Career Building Needs More Panelists

Posted 09-05-2018 06:17 AM
    Greetings Alex,
    My experience is not precisely front house to full time, but I have climbed a ladder over 15 years from entry level preparator to exhibition designer, assistant director, chief curator, and now professor of Museum Studies (teaching part-time along the way). With each change, learning to fill a need to advance... I'd be very interested in joining the panel if you think it would fit, and can also add the academic track discussion. Please let me know!

Andrew Saluti
    Assistant Professor
    Museum Studies Program - Syracuse University
    Syracuse NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more