Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Donation boxes at museums

• 1.  Donation boxes at museums

Posted 04-12-2017 12:07 PM

Hello,

I am curious if any museums have a donation box (either in the museum, at the exit or somewhere else) where people can drop an additional amount of $ towards programs at the museum.  Have you had any issues with these boxes?  Did you find it worked well?  Did you ever have one broken in to or money stolen?  Do you think this is a standard that guests are comfortable seeing?

I would like to add one on our museum floor as have a statement saying "If you are enjoying your time and wish to help the museum continue with educational programs and enhancements, please consider donating" or something like this.

I appreciate your assistance!

Tara L. Hitzig

Executive Director

The Automobile Driving Museum

www.theadm.org

Direct Line: 310-658-5564

Museum Hours:

Tues-Sun 10AM-4PM

ADM_Logo_Tilt signature

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Donation boxes at museums

Posted 04-12-2017 03:06 PM
    We started using donation boxes in March. Based on what I have seen at other museums, this is a really normal thing for visitors to see. I'm not sure you even need to say much about what the money is for (it doesn't hurt, of course!). I'm just not sure people really read through that much verbiage. 

So far we've had no issues with stolen money or anything, but we're a small museum and someone on staff is always nearby. (I got the boxes we use from Amazon, and they have a slot on the top with a small door on the back that comes with a key. It's a flimsy little lock and key, but it would be enough of an obstacle for someone that it would be a good deterrent.

------------------------------
    Angie Albright
    Director
    Clinton House Museum
    Fayetteville AR

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Donation boxes at museums

Posted 04-13-2017 07:53 AM
    What did you put in the search for the box. we have a house museum and they have been using an old coffee can - but I think its time to upgrade a bit

Allison Dolan
    volunteer
    Largo FL

• 4.  RE: Donation boxes at museums

Posted 04-13-2017 11:09 AM
    This is the donation box I purchased on Amazon. 
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R1HVWAC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think a search for something like "clear ballot box" or "acrylic donation box" will get you lots of options.

Angie Albright
    Director
    Clinton House Museum
    Fayetteville AR

• 5.  RE: Donation boxes at museums

Posted 04-13-2017 09:26 AM

We have a donation box right next to our comment book.  It gives visitors a way to put their appreciation into action.   We haven't had any problems with it to my knowledge, but it is in general view of our admissions desk.

Lisa

Lisa Kay Adam

Curator of Collections & Registrar

Museum of South Texas History (MOSTHistory)

200 N Closner Blvd  |  Edinburg, TX 78541 USA

P: +1-956-383-6911  |  F: +1-956-381-8518

ladam@mosthistory.org  |  MOSTHistory.org

American Alliance of Museums Accredited Museum

• 6.  RE: Donation boxes at museums

Posted 04-14-2017 09:39 AM
    Hi Tara!

Great question and it looks like you got some great feedback from this thread. I am going to have Isabelle follow up with you about how we can make the most of the memberships and donation portion of your Cuseum app! 

Chat with you soon!

Dan Sullivan
    Partnerships
    www.cuseum.com
    Boston MA

• 7.  RE: Donation boxes at museums

Posted 04-14-2017 02:23 PM
    We started using them years ago.  We collect quite a bit actually.  People like to give.

Rich Rime
    Director of Sales
    Museum of Flight
    Seattle WA

• 8.  RE: Donation boxes at museums

Posted 04-13-2017 08:31 AM
    Our museums have used a couple of targeted boxes for many years. On the main deck of our flagship, Susan Constant, we have a donation barrel with a sign that specifically tells our guests that the donations received there go to support the sailing program. We have a similar barrel on our Farm. I'm not aware of any issues in the 18 years I've been affiliated with the Foundation. I'm not really involved with the money side of the organization, so I can't say specifically how well it works, but my sense of it from seeing the barrels daily for almost two decades is that our visitors see it almost as an opportunity to reward the museum. I've watched visitors with whom I've had really in-depth interactions turn around and drop a $20 in the barrel on the way out. Even schoolkids, jazzed up after a good interpretation will often pitch some change in ... and it all adds up.

Jay Templin
    Museum Interpretive Site Supervisor
    Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation
    Williamsburg VA

• 9.  RE: Donation boxes at museums

Posted 04-14-2017 01:21 PM
    We've had donation boxes in a couple of different areas around the Museum. They don't bring in lots of cash, but enough to keep them out. We use an old firefighter's boot during our holiday training garden in December, and the money goes to the train garden committee for the next year's display. We have a fire helmet that was put upside down on a wooden stand and a plexi box over the helmet. There is a slot cut into the top when bills or change can go. The kids especially like it because they can see the money go in. We also have 1 or 2 that are near specific vehicles that should undergo restoration or are in the  midst of restoration. The weekend staff close out the register at the end of the shift, count the money in each box and then enter it into the register under each separate project.

Melissa Heaver
    Registrar/Research Director
    Fire Museum of Maryland
    Lutherville MD

• 10.  RE: Donation boxes at museums

Posted 04-13-2017 09:17 AM
    We have had an donation box for about 20 years now, where it is not a major money maker , every little bit helps. Ours has a simple message something like  "Your Donation helps support the educational mission of the Virginia War Memorial, Thank you." We also made the top of the donation box into a display for foreign currency and other oddities that have been donated in donation box over the years. The are also located near the entry/exit points, noticeable but not  pushy if that makes since.

Jesse Smith
    Curator
    Virginia War Memorial
    Richmond VA

• 11.  RE: Donation boxes at museums

Posted 04-13-2017 09:49 AM
    We always have had a donation box in our main lobby.  It is within sight of our front desk and guests pass it to exit the building.  It is a clear box in a highly visible area. I clean it out regularly so there is never too much money in it to tempt someone to return to break in and steal from it.  When I clean it out, I leave or exchange funds so that there are a few $1, $5, $10 bills in the box.  From my time in the food service industry, I learned that if a guest sees a dollar bill versus four quarters in the tip jar they are more likely to put a dollar bill in themselves.  By being in the same general area as our museum store, school kids will often put their spare change in the box after they have made their purchases.

Melissa Peterson
    Site Manager, Charles Lindbergh House and Museum
    Minnesota Historical Society
    Little Falls MN

• 12.  RE: Donation boxes at museums

Posted 04-13-2017 10:07 AM
    Hi Tira, We have two boxes at our museum. One is at the front door to catch opportunity to drop a few bills as folks exit, the other is in the vestibule that has the doorways to go outside into our enclosed "Heritage Park" area where all our aircraft are displayed. We mark the front one as a general "thank you" and the back one for a specific project we call "Operation Preservation" to help us raise money to paint the planes each year. We do charge admission and the boxes don't seem to impact this. We generally are pulling $300-500 month on the two combined....more n summer as tourism rises.

James Walther
    Executive Director
    National Museum of Nuclear Science and History
    Albuquerque NM

• 13.  RE: Donation boxes at museums

Posted 04-13-2017 10:34 AM
    Interesting discussion and excellent responses.  As noted, every dollar counts in our business.  

The questions I have encountered when considering this option usually relate to security and propriety: will the cash be stolen, is it crass to beg in this manner.  Only once have i heard of a theft and that was years ago at the Museum of the City of New York when a guard at the museum's front door got bored when no one was around and fished bills out using a string with a piece of chewing gum on the end.  This, of course, is one reason why auditors focus on these things.  They love to pick on areas of operations that involve cash - how it is safeguarded and accounted for.  As for the propriety question, why not take every opportunity to allow people to support your organization financially.  

Steve

Steven Miller
    Executive Director
    Boscobel House and Gardens
    Garrison NY

• 14.  RE: Donation boxes at museums

Posted 04-13-2017 11:21 AM

I am interested to hear from anyone who uses DipJar: pros and cons of only accepting pre-set (by your organization) credit/debit card donations v. cash donation boxes? Is it worth the investment?

Rebecca McCaskill
    Associate Director of Donor Relations
    Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center
    Colorado Springs CO

• 15.  RE: Donation boxes at museums

Posted 04-13-2017 03:26 PM
    Such great suggestions by all!  For any one that was looking for a source for acrylic ballot/donation boxes...Art Display Essentials carries a variety of different sized acrylic ballot/donation boxes that are lockable and have a signage slot.  - Ballot Boxes #BAL00
    Artdisplay remove preview
    - Ballot Boxes #BAL00
    These clear or white acrylic collection boxes each have a cam lock and two keys, and a slide-up back with a place for your sign or message.
    View this on Artdisplay >

Eloise Wierzbicki
    Customer Service and Sales Representative
    Art Display Essentials
    eloisew@artdisplay.com
    www.artdisplay.com
    www.10-31.com
    www.easelsbyamron.com
    2 West Crisman Road
    Columbia, NJ 07832
    USA

• 16.  RE: Donation boxes at museums

Posted 04-13-2017 03:28 PM
    Many visitors look for and expect donation boxes. Their interest in these seems to increase in museums that are free admission, especially if the visitors receive a fairly personalized service (a demo, a special program, or even an exhibit that strongly connects with them). Security is an issue: I’ve seen smash-and-grab thefts right adjacent to staffed reception areas; boxes in quiet areas of a museum moved into a dark corner or a restroom to be smashed; museums broken into just to raid the cash donations. Boxes need to be very sturdy; though donations seem more spontaneous if some cash is visible in a box, the boxes should be checked regularly and large amounts removed.

James Bryant
    SOJOURN Science - Nature - Education
    Santa Fe, NM
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/james-bryant-0598a940/

• 17.  RE: Donation boxes at museums

Posted 04-13-2017 07:41 PM

We have donation boxes at several locations. One at the admission desk (no charge to our grounds so we encourage visitors to contribute); another in our parking lot, at exit to our mansion and in our bird banding station. We do get donations however not great amounts. We have made the boxes out of metal with a lock and have not had any vandalism. When we have events where we do not charge admission we normally have a donation box on the entrance table and the refreshment table. At times we have made more $ when we say admission by donation. All boxes have a sign basically indicating funds support the ongoing programs of the site.

Hope that helps

MARILYNN  

Marilynn Havelka

Chief Administrative Officer

Ruthven Park National Historic Site

243 Haldimand HWY 54, P.O. Box 610

Cayuga ON  N0A1E0

Phone: 905-772-0560

Fax: 905-772-0561

marilynn@ruthvenpark.ca

• 18.  RE: Donation boxes at museums

Posted 04-14-2017 08:49 AM
      |   view attached
    Donate in the app: We develop mobile apps as tour guides for museums. Visitors download the app at home (or at gate) on their own phone. Then, they use it as a guide (audio, pictures, text and internal map) to visit each room. We put "Donate" button on every page of the app.

That way, as the tourist goes through the museum, they have the button right there on the app to donate. On clicking the Donate button, the visitor gets ready choices of $ 100, $ 50, $ 25, $ 10, $ 5 and "enter your amount". We also have a box to tick mark for yearly donation. If the visitor clicks on that box, then, donation is automatically done every year.

This solves the problem of theft, location of donation, time of the donation, recurring donation and accounting of it. It also helps in getting identification info of the donor - age, gender, location, name etc. Here is more info and a screen shot.

Mobile Tour Guide App Platform for Museums,Walking Tours, Driving Tours, Visitor Attractions-ActionShow App
    Actionshowapp remove preview
    Mobile Tour Guide App Platform for Museums,Walking Tours, Driving Tours, Visitor Attractions-ActionShow App
    A platform for attractions to create Apple & Android apps that visitors download on their own phones to use as tour guides. Low cost, sets up in weeks and replaces audio guides.
    View this on Actionshowapp >

Snehal Shah
    Action Data Systems, LLC
    Barrington RI

• 19.  RE: Donation boxes at museums

Posted 04-14-2017 04:57 PM
    Edited by Megan Osetek 04-14-2017 04:58 PM
      |   view attached
    Hi Tara, 

I've used donation boxes at a few institutions I've worked at and have had great feedback and visitor contributions. As others have indicated, most visitors are comfortable contributing funds and often expect it. We are a free general admission museum, so we may get more daily donations on a regular basis than fee-based admission museums. I attached a picture of our donation box for you to see. It is located at the front desk everyday and we have patrons who donate both upon entry and leaving after their visit. The last month our donation box collected $800+ Our box was custom made by an exhibits team member a number of years ago and we've had to replace the plexiglass once before due to staff knocking it on the ground and it cracked beyond repair. You should be able to see the plexi has "Thank you for your contribution" etched into the box. I've also used the premade boxes from Amazon others highlighted and they work great too for a smaller space. Oh and I should mention we "fish" for donations by starting with some various bills at the beginning of the day. Research has shown people are more willing to contribute if they see others have before them. 

Good luck with your project.

Megan O'Kon
    Coordinator of Interpretation
    Kalamazoo Valley Museum
    Kalamazoo MI

• 20.  RE: Donation boxes at museums

Posted 05-22-2017 10:24 AM
    Edited by Kurt Sigmund 05-22-2017 10:24 AM
    We had our creative staff create several boxes. One was a paint can used to help pay for the painting of our tower. We also have one that resembles a model boat that sits on the stern and has a plexi-glass viewport and slot for depositing money. The boat box helps highlight out Heritage Boatworks where we recreate historic vessels. I find that most guest are very generous.

Kurt Sigmund
    Museum Associate
    St. Augustine Lighthouse & Maritime Museum
    Jacksonville FL