Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Happy New Year! - New Resources for Creating Visitor Centered Museums

Posted 01-10-2022 12:45 PM
    Edited by Mark Walhimer 01-10-2022 12:46 PM
    Hi All,
    Happy New Year! Wishing you health and happiness in 2022.

After twenty years of working in museums, in 2013, I walked into Ibero University in Mexico City, wondering if I could teach at a university level. Since then, my students have given me more than I could have ever expected. I have learned that my museum expertise is also an expertise in Customer Experience (CX). Thank you to my students for all that you have taught me.

During one of my lectures, a student asked a seemingly simple question: "How do you create a museum experience?" The question took me aback. I had to come up with a simple answer at the time, but it wasn't complete. Since 2013 I have been working on the Designing Museum Experiences book, and on December 19th, the book was published.

Designing Museum Experiences is the not-so-simple answer to the question "how do you create an inclusive museum experience?". Central to "museum experience" is Diversity, Equity, Assebility, and Inclusion (DEAI), a shared museum experience for all audiences.

Designing Museum Experiences, the companion website, and additional resources are how-to guides for creating visitor-centered museums that emotionally and intellectually connect with museum visitors, stakeholders, and donors.

Designing Museum Experiences, website, and additional resources;
    https://www.museum-experiences.com/

I welcome any feedback on the topic of "how-to guides" that provide excellence in inclusive visitor experiences.

Happy New Year!
    - Mark

Museum Planning, LLC logo
    Museum Planning, LLC
    Mark Walhimer
    Cell: 415-794-5252
    mark@museumplanning.com
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Happy New Year! - New Resources for Creating Visitor Centered Museums

Posted 01-10-2022 12:51 PM
    Edited by Mark Walhimer 01-10-2022 12:51 PM
    If you are a professor interested in using Designing Museum Experiences for your classes, please send me a message, and I will send you a review copy.

All the best in 2022,
    - Mark
    Museum Planning, LLC
    Museum Planning, LLC
    Mark Walhimer
    mark@museumplanning.com

Original Message:
    Sent: 01-10-2022 12:45 PM
    Subject: Happy New Year! - New Resources for Creating Visitor Centered Museums

Hi All,
    Happy New Year! Wishing you health and happiness in 2022.

After twenty years of working in museums, in 2013, I walked into Ibero University in Mexico City, wondering if I could teach at a university level. Since then, my students have given me more than I could have ever expected. I have learned that my museum expertise is also an expertise in Customer Experience (CX). Thank you to my students for all that you have taught me.

During one of my lectures, a student asked a seemingly simple question: "How do you create a museum experience?" The question took me aback. I had to come up with a simple answer at the time, but it wasn't complete. Since 2013 I have been working on the Designing Museum Experiences book, and on December 19th, the book was published.

Designing Museum Experiences is the not-so-simple answer to the question "how do you create an inclusive museum experience?". Central to "museum experience" is Diversity, Equity, Assebility, and Inclusion (DEAI), a shared museum experience for all audiences.

Designing Museum Experiences, the companion website, and additional resources are how-to guides for creating visitor-centered museums that emotionally and intellectually connect with museum visitors, stakeholders, and donors.

Designing Museum Experiences, website, and additional resources;
    https://www.museum-experiences.com/

I welcome any feedback on the topic of "how-to guides" that provide excellence in inclusive visitor experiences.

Happy New Year!
    - Mark

Museum Planning, LLC
    Mark Walhimer
    mark@museumplanning.com
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Happy New Year! - New Resources for Creating Visitor Centered Museums

Posted 01-11-2022 12:30 PM
    Hi Mark,

Excellent topic and note below.

My brief comment is that many museums (and / or their operators if outsourced) do not fully integrate their museum store (and ecommerce) and if they have a cafe, cart(s) and / or restaurant to be sure these areas are also providing excellence in their respective areas. Most museum leadership, including the boards, want this too, but especially when outsourced, oftentimes it is missing. If missing, incomplete and/or not done right, these areas not in the best interest of museum and their visitors.

After more than 25-years working with over 400 museums of all sizes and types and other cultural institutions, most of which are in the U.S. and some in Canada, I have seen this disconnect quite often, even when self-operated. Some operators have done a better job than others in this regard.

Of course, the museum collection and visitor experience are critical and most important. When possible, however, it would be good if the excellent visitor experience can be in ALL areas of the museum.

Hope this is helpful.
    Best regards,
    Art

------------------------------
    Art Manask
    Principal
    Art Manask Consulting
    artmanask@gmail.com
    818 358-3588

• 4.  RE: Happy New Year! - New Resources for Creating Visitor Centered Museums

Posted 01-11-2022 03:31 PM
    Edited by Mark Walhimer 01-11-2022 03:31 PM
    Dear Art,
    Thank you for the message. 

I would 100% agree museums are moving towards Omni-experiences.  

This can include online exhibitions, online stores, in-person events, cafes, online programming (webinars, lectures), community outreach, in-school programming to name a few. This is also an opportunity for additional revenue streams and building blocks for museum donors when managed well. 

Designing Museum Experiences is a how-to guide for achieving inclusive museum experiences.  

Happy New Year!
    - Mark

Museum Planning, LLC
    Mark Walhimer
    mark@museumplanning.com

Original Message:
    Sent: 01-11-2022 12:29 PM
    Subject: Happy New Year! - New Resources for Creating Visitor Centered Museums

Hi Mark,

Excellent topic and note below.

My brief comment is that many museums (and / or their operators if outsourced) do not fully integrate their museum store (and ecommerce) and if they have a cafe, cart(s) and / or restaurant to be sure these areas are also providing excellence in their respective areas. Most museum leadership, including the boards, want this too, but especially when outsourced, oftentimes it is missing. If missing, incomplete and/or not done right, these areas not in the best interest of museum and their visitors.

After more than 25-years working with over 400 museums of all sizes and types and other cultural institutions, most of which are in the U.S. and some in Canada, I have seen this disconnect quite often, even when self-operated. Some operators have done a better job than others in this regard.

Of course, the museum collection and visitor experience are critical and most important. When possible, however, it would be good if the excellent visitor experience can be in ALL areas of the museum.

Hope this is helpful.
    Best regards,
    Art

Art Manask
    Principal
    Art Manask Consulting
    artmanask@gmail.com
    818 358-3588