Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  TRANSLATIONS!

Posted 06-08-2021 03:20 PM
    Hello!
    We are working on a project to turn our museum into a bilingual institution, since 46% of our community identifies as Spanish speaking.
    Our resources are very limited and do not allow us to translate all of the didactics of our exhibitions, just our exhibitions' intro texts. 
    I am unsure about how this would be perceived, so we´ll be sending out a survey to gauge interest and reactions. Nonetheless, I'd appreciate to hear from those of you who are dealing with similar limitations. 
    Is a partial translation of didactics worth? What can we expect to hear from members of the Spanish-speaking community? 
    Thank you for your feedback,
    Silvia Perea

Silvia Perea, M.Arch, Ph.D. 

Acting Director (she, her, ella)

Curator, Architecture and Design Collection

Art, Design & Architecture Museum

University of California, Santa Barbara

Santa Barbara, CA 93106-7130

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: TRANSLATIONS!

Posted 06-09-2021 08:35 AM
    Hi Silvia,

I work as a freelance translator specializing in museum work and, to be honest, I'd also be quite curious to know the results of your survey. Anecdotally, my impression from working with museums in the U.S. and abroad is that speakers of the target language usually consider any amount of translation to be useful and a meaningful gesture. It also opens to door to more extensive translations down the line if more resources become available.

Some of my clients also remain largely monolingual, but use their limited budgets to fully translate exhibitions of particular relevance to a given language population (e.g. Spanish for an exhibition about an artist collective from Havana).

Happy to talk more off-list if it would be helpful! Contact info below.

------------------------------
    Kevin Gerry Dunn
    Translator

www.kgdtranslation.com
    info@kgdtranslation.com
    (+1) (520) 477-7507

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: TRANSLATIONS!

Posted 06-09-2021 09:19 AM
      |   view attached
    Hi Silvia,

I'm writing from Eriksen Translations, the premier language service provider to cultural institutions. (Come visit us in the virtual expo hall.)

We've been in the business since 1986, assisting everyone from the Met to the National Gallery of Art to the MFA Houston.  In California, we have many partners, including the Getty, the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, the San Diego Museum of Art, LACMA, and SFMOMA.

We also work with a number of university museums, including the Meadows Museum at SMU, the Georgetown University Art Galleries, and the Yale Center for British Art.

Which is all a long way of saying that I'd be happy to discuss best practices with you.

Best regards,

Will Lach

Director of Sales
    Eriksen Translations Inc.
    917/ 370-2808
    will.lach@eriksen.com

Will Lach
    Director of Sales
    Eriksen Translations Inc.
    Brooklyn NY

Attachment(s)

• 4.  RE: TRANSLATIONS!

Posted 06-09-2021 11:02 AM
      |   view attached
    Hi Silvia,

As a museum in Deep South Texas, our museum tries to translate all of our text into Spanish, since over 80% of our population speaks a language other than English at home. So major steps for us:

Perception:
    Your Spanish speaking community will be thankful, and I think that's all that matters. You are adding something, not taking anything away. Don't be scared to do this! It is a step in the right direction and makes your worth more to 46% of your community.

Be consistent! 
    We have ONE person who translates all museum text into Spanish. This helps weed out inconsistencies with tone and sentence structure. Once a text is complete it will be reviewed by other Spanish speakers on staff for edits. We use Mexican Spanish as our Spanish of choice because it is where our Spanish speakers come from. If your population comes from a different part of Latin America (solely Puerto Rican or Guatemalan, and so on) I would think about which Spanish you want to use, but Mexican Spanish is well rounded and is understood throughout Spanish speaking communities. 

Give yourself enough time.
    Translation takes time and some texts come with complex words and structures which take time to transfer into another language. We try to give a direct translation from English into Spanish, but translating more academic terms takes time.

Should We/Shouldn't We
    So didactic labels and titles... we usually don't translate those because they have meaning to the artist that could be lost in translation. We will ask them if they mind a translation of titles and go from there. We will do partial translation of didactic labels of the art medium if it is interesting or wasn't mentioned in the main exhibit text.

I've attached an example from one of our recent exhibits.

Hope this helps!

Amelia Whitehead
    Director of Collections and Exhibitions
    International Museum of Art & Science
    McAllen TX

Attachment(s)