Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Temporary Exhibition Labels

Posted 06-23-2017 02:56 PM
    Hi,

I'm looking for help with temporary exhibition labels. Can anyone direct me to something that looks professional but as a low cost?

Are the adhesive labels the most efficient option? If so, what type of paper is used to create them?

Thank you in advance.

------------------------------
    Kimberley Coleman
    George and Leah McKenna Museum of African American Art
    New Orleans LA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Temporary Exhibition Labels

Posted 06-26-2017 08:35 AM
    I have found adhesive papers difficult to apply smoothly to a wall. I'm sure professional technicians have tricks that I don't know.

My favorite method is to print them on paper, mount them to matboard, then use a straight edge and box cutter to cut them out. Use velcro dots to attach them to the wall. The dots come off the wall with a putty knife at the end of the exhibit.

You can get mat cutters that round the edges, which looks even more professional.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Temporary Exhibition Labels

Posted 06-26-2017 08:52 AM
    Hi Kimberly,
    Exhibits I've worked on have printed all our object labels in house on resume paper/stationery paper we got from the office supply store.  We would mount the labels on black foam core (which had a peel-off adhesive side) and cut them.  If you use sharp knives and take your time they look great.

For larger text panels, we had them printed at the office supply store and mounted on foam core.  If you use standard sizes you can usually find a frame for them which provides a nicely finished look.

Best,
    Claudia

Claudia B. Ocello
    President & CEO
    Museum Partners Consulting, LLC
    www.museumpartnersconsulting.com
    Engaging audiences, empowering staff
    EdCom Leadership Development/Awards Chair
    Tweeting @museumptnrs

• 4.  RE: Temporary Exhibition Labels

Posted 06-27-2017 09:48 AM
    Hi Kimberley:

Mounting to illustration/matboard is a great approach, but requires time and hand skills! One trick I found is to print the labels onto nice stationary in-house; fitting as many as possible per sheet and including crop marks. Then I send the printed labels to a local printer (or you might look for a framer) to mount and trim. This is usually just a few dollars per label.

My favorite adhesive trick is blue painters tape. Place a strip of blue tape on the wall as a protector. Then use your heavy-duty double-sided adhesive of choice to stick the panel onto the blue tape. It's secure and doesn't damage the wall.

Hope that helps!

-Johanna

Johanna Goldfeld Design, LLC
    Graphic and Exhibition Design
    Tel: 718-789-1238
    Visit my website: www.jgoldfeld-design.com
    Read my blog: www.jgoldfeld-design.com/blog

• 5.  RE: Temporary Exhibition Labels

Posted 06-28-2017 06:22 AM
    We use transparent shipping labels 2×3" and 8.5 x11" for our artist statements and work labels. They look really clean, they adhear and remove with minimal damage and they are super cheap at approx. 25 dollars for a pack of 300. 

Hope this helps and good luck,

Jocelyn Boigenzahn
    Director, Scarfone Hartley Gallery
    University of Tampa

• 6.  RE: Temporary Exhibition Labels

Posted 06-26-2017 12:31 PM
    Hi, Cream Crack-n-Peel produces a beautiful label and comes with an adhesive backing. For a mounting surface, mat board is allows nice, but if you have access to either a mat cutter or a table saw, go with sintra.

Nice paper is also an option. I use 3M 568 Positionable Mounting Adhesive instead of spray mount. It is less messy and I find it easier to work with, especially in an office setting.

For text panels, check with local printers. If you design them to a standard size (22in x 28in comes to mind), they might not be as expensive as you think they will be, especially when you factor in your time. Foam core is usually less expensive than sintra and direct-to-substrate printing might be cheaper than print/mount/matte laminate. We have a printer in town that charges less than $30 for a 22in x 28in.

Dawn Farkas Prasad
    Exhibit Designer, graphics
    Natural History Museum of Utah - University of Utah
    Salt Lake City UT