Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Collections Database for Audio Files

Posted 05-30-2018 04:16 PM
    Hello,
    I've been researching collections databases that are specifically for cataloguing audio files and I'd like some advice. My museum has a collection of oral histories and we are looking for the best way to catalogue them so that they can accessible online one day. They are currently saved in iTunes so a Mac compatible database is essential. Does anyone have any suggestions? 
    Much appreciated, thanks.

------------------------------
    Polly Toledo
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Collections Database for Audio Files

Posted 05-31-2018 09:55 AM

Hi Polly--Hope all's well! Interesting question. I might start with Google Sheets, and see how far it could take me. (Easy to export to a csv, also has a reasonable API). Then I might look at Airtable or Smartsheet if you needed more relational database abilities (also solid APIs).

Evernote is another option that's super flexible, and audio-friendly.

Depending on the number of files and complexity, what you're looking for is a DAMS for audio; those can get complex and cumbersome fast.

There's lots of interesting activity and new services around transcription of audio files-transcription makes those files searchable, usable, and even more valuable.

Best--Chad

Chad Weinard
    Museum Technology Consultant
    Durham, NC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Collections Database for Audio Files

Posted 05-31-2018 12:40 PM
    Hi Chad,
    Thank you for your input. Yes I was looking for a DAMS because I want a system that can grow with us but need to look into the challenges associated with them.

Polly Toledo

• 4.  RE: Collections Database for Audio Files

Posted 06-04-2018 01:47 PM
    It's possible this already turned up in your research, but I wanted to be sure to mention OHMS as a resource for making oral histories available online. I'm not sure how much it solves in terms of your DAMS needs, but what I've seen of the transcription and tagging side was very impressive.

Best wishes,
    Jason

Jason Meyer
    Mgr, Digital Content
    Museum of Science & Industry
    Chicago, IL