Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Zoos & Aquariums at AAM Conferences?

• 1.  Zoos & Aquariums at AAM Conferences?

Posted 11-06-2019 06:08 PM
    Hi all,

I'm searching for any other zoos or aquariums that have attended an AAM Conference in the past and/or are planning to attend in 2020. I'm hoping to attend this year because as we all know, zoos are just museums with living collections! And there are countless things we can learn from each other. My leadership team would like some evidence that other zoos are involved with AAM to help support my request to attend. Are there any zoo professionals out there who have attended an AZA conference, are planning to attend, or know of someone else in your organization who has attended? Or any other AAM attendees who remember meeting zoo professionals at a past conference?

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    Mae Sevedge
    School & Community Outreach Assistant Manager
    Kansas City Zoo
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Zoos & Aquariums at AAM Conferences?

Posted 11-07-2019 07:55 AM
    I've been attending for the past few years. There are actually several staff members from Shedd Aquarium that attend each year. I've seen a few others from zoos and aquariums, but not as many as other types of museums. Of course it's a very large conference, so you don't always get to meet everyone in attendance. :)

Renee Birk
    Assistant Director
    John G. Shedd Aquarium
    Chicago IL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Zoos & Aquariums at AAM Conferences?

Posted 11-08-2019 12:56 PM

"The Museum/Cultural Institutions council meets the highly specialized needs of its members by providing education and training specific to management of science centers, performing arts centers, libraries, historical sites, art institutes, theaters, aquariums and zoos." 

follow on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram

Matthew Yow
    Facility Manager
    Santa Clarita CA

• 4.  RE: Zoos & Aquariums at AAM Conferences?

Posted 11-07-2019 09:27 AM
    Hello, Mae:

I have held positions in education at both Chicago's Lincoln Park Zoo and Tampa's Museum of Science and Industry. I have organized and moderated panel presentations at both AAM and AZA. Sometimes, I was working at the zoo and presented at the AZA or at the museum and presented at AAM and other times working at the zoo and presenting at AAM!

Questions? Give me a call at 813. 973. 2102.

Terrie Nolinske, Ph.D.
    TNI Consultants LLC

Terrie Nolinske PhD
    Principal
    Tampa FL

• 5.  RE: Zoos & Aquariums at AAM Conferences?

Posted 11-07-2019 12:35 PM
    ​Hi Mae,

I've attended in the past and presented on a panel with other zoo folks from Denver Zoo.  Woodland Park Zoo typically has one or more people attend.  I've found the conversations that the broader museum community are having are so valuable to the zoo/aquarium field.  I also think they are sometimes ahead of zoos and aquariums in discussing topics such as museums' role in community, diversity and equity, or decolonization. 

Best,

- Mary

Mary Jackson
    Audience Research Supervisor
    Woodland Park Zoo
    Seattle WA

• 6.  RE: Zoos & Aquariums at AAM Conferences?

Posted 11-07-2019 08:03 PM
    Hi Mae,

I have attended AAM a number of times and have found it to be very valuable. Every time I have attended, I have met other zoo and aquarium professionals in addition to colleagues working in gardens and other museums. For me, I've found the Membership/Development and PR/Marketing sessions and networking opportunities to be very helpful. I've made a lot of connections with other membership professionals, and even vendors at AAM.

I tend to alternate between AAM and AZA. I feel that attending various conferences broadens my network personally and gives more information and ideas for inspiration when developing programs for the Zoo.

If you have any specific questions, I'm happy to connect via email or phone. kkirkhart@sbzoo.org   805-962-5339, x115

Best Regards,

-Kim

Kimberly Kirkhart
    Director of Membership
    Santa Barbara Zoo
    Santa Barbara CA

• 7.  RE: Zoos & Aquariums at AAM Conferences?

Posted 11-07-2019 09:12 PM
    Dear Mae,

I have attended AAM's annual conference, maybe three or four times in the past ten years. There's not a lot of zoo or aquarium people, but you are right, we can learn about education, outreach, and exhibit development from others besides those within our own industry.

Scott

Scott Perich
    Director of Long Range Planning and Strategic Design
    National Aquarium
    Baltimore MD

• 8.  RE: Zoos & Aquariums at AAM Conferences?

Posted 11-08-2019 07:57 AM
    I have not attended AAM but one of the reasons I'm on this board is because I see a number of issues and discussions that are relevant to zoos and aquariums. It's hard because most of us have limited budgets and for those of us in zoos/aquariums, we need to attend AZA for committee work and other sessions that directly affect our work. Still, it would be interesting to see how, internally, we can have staff attend both and share relevant information. It would also be interesting to see if AAM and AZA Committees might be able to do some collaborative work - not sure how, but could be powerful to see these two professional organizations somehow share information/resources.

Denise McClean
    Director
    Prospect Park Zoo
    Brooklyn NY

• 9.  RE: Zoos & Aquariums at AAM Conferences?

Posted 11-08-2019 09:35 AM
    Hi Denise, the Environment and Climate professional network (nee PIC Green) has always embraced AZA members, AZA has done some really great work establishing best practices when it comes to sustainable building operations.

You can learn more here: https://www.aam-us.org/professional-networks/environment-and-climate-network/

Happy to answer questions/feel free to reach out individually as well.

Carter

Carter O'Brien, LEED AP O+M

Sustainability Manager
    Science & Education
    Field Museum of Natural History
    312-665-7811

Learn about The Field Museum's green building initiatives here:

https://www.fieldmuseum.org/science/conservation/greener-field

• 10.  RE: Zoos & Aquariums at AAM Conferences?

Posted 11-08-2019 11:15 AM
    Awesome! Thanks.

Denise McClean
    Director
    Prospect Park Zoo
    Brooklyn NY

• 11.  RE: Zoos & Aquariums at AAM Conferences?

Posted 11-08-2019 09:11 AM
    Hi Mae,

I also want to note that there are a lot of affiliate organizations that you can become involved with through AAM as well...EdCom (Education Committee), MER (Museum Educators Roundtable), AAMV (American Alliance for Museum Volunteers), etc. Great ways to connect with others in your field of work through the museum community.

Renee

Renee Birk
    Assistant Director
    John G. Shedd Aquarium
    Chicago IL

• 12.  RE: Zoos & Aquariums at AAM Conferences?

Posted 11-11-2019 12:13 PM
    Thanks everyone! This was exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate you all taking the time to answer and I hope to see you at AAM in May!

Mae Sevedge
    School & Community Outreach Assistant Manager
    Kansas City Zoo

• 13.  RE: Zoos & Aquariums at AAM Conferences?

Posted 11-12-2019 11:16 AM
    Hello Mae, 

So excited you reached out, and I am looking forward to seeing you in San Fran! I have been actively involved with AAM - particularly through CARE and EdCom - for around 8 years. I have found AAM to be a few years ahead of AZA in terms of the thinking that goes on both at the organizational and the conference levels, and the conference offers more diverse perspectives in terms of education (and other aspects of our work). I highly recommend seeking out non-AZA professionals at the conference, too, simply to widen your network of professional colleagues. By joining EdCom, you'll connect with a nice diverse group of educators. Addtitionally, EdCom is currently working on developing a great resource for our field in terms of a core document that will highlight best practices in in having education and interpretive plans. I've been on this task force, and find the work incredibly relevent to AZA orgs (in fact, many AZA orgs contributed to the needs assessment and front-end evaluation we did to inform the core ideas of the document). 

Perhaps us AZA'ers can organize an informal meet-up in San Fran? I'd be happy to co-arrange something wtih you. My email is msteeleinama@denverzoo.org if you wanted to reach out. We could then send that info out on our respective AZA list serves in which we participate.

Marley Steele-Inama
    Director of Audience Research and Evaluation
    Denver Zoo
    Denver CO
    msteeleinama@denverzoo.org