Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Proposed new message for AAM's Museum Junction Open Forum

Posted 02-24-2022 10:42 AM

Colleagues,

16 years ago, as the repurposed Liberty Science Center opened, the American Alliance of Museums requested my view about what relevance entails. I did so in Museum News: 'The Relevant Museum: A Reflection on Sustainability': https://rka-learnwithus.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/aam-museum-2006-emlyn-koster.pdf.

As the world descends into a new existential crisis with geopolitical proportions, I again pose the question that began that article: As news stories unfold and society seeks to understand the nature and significance of events, is the museum field going to adapt to a greater role in exploring the things that profoundly matter in the world? Sections on human history museums and war museums in its 'Relevancy Content Suggestions' table included Rise and fall of superpowers across time and profiles of their leaders and Causes and aims of wars; what constitutes victories and losses

Randi Korn and I will be sharing related thoughts to 'Museums Today' series of The George Washington University at 6 pm EST on March 23: https://museum.gwu.edu/museums-today-museums-becoming-good-ancestors-disrupted-world.

I hope an exchange of views about relevance will unfold in this Museum Junction Open Forum, Emlyn

Emlyn Koster, PhD

1986-91 | Director, Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology

1991-96 | Director General, Ontario Science Centre

1996-2011 | President and CEO, Liberty Science Center

2011-12 | President, Institute for Learning Innovation

2013-18 | Director, North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences

2015- | Adjunct Professor, Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, North Carolina State University 

Emlyn Koster, PhD

geologist | museologist | humanist

koster.emlyn@gmail.com 

Raleigh, NC, US

Cell 201-286-3939

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Proposed new message for AAM's Museum Junction Open Forum

Posted 02-24-2022 12:44 PM
    thank you - that is great!

------------------------------
    Joyce Lee FAIA
    President
    Philadelphia PA
    ------------------------------

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more