Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Lighting - Distance, Angle, Height.

Posted 09-12-2018 05:12 PM

Are there recommendation for track lighting as far as best distance, angle, and height. For example, if the lights are 14 ft high.. should they be a certain distance from the wall.. or angle.. etc.

Thank you.
    David

------------------------------
    David Lynx MLS
    Director
    Larson Gallery
    Yakima WA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Lighting - Distance, Angle, Height.

Posted 09-13-2018 11:31 AM
    David,
         Typically we install our track at least 3ft from the wall.  This seems to be the best way for us to eliminate body shadowing.  We have 16ft ceilings and it works for us.  As far as angle it's good to light something stand alone in a case from multiple sides depending on what light level you need.  Ideally, at least for us, I would think if I were changing one of our galleries track lighting i would design it to be a grid style system.  This would give you the most flexible solution to any lighting need I would think.  It would cover all possible angles.  Unfortunately most are designed for a specific exhibit or purpose in mind.  We have a changing gallery I would like to redo in a grid system because it changes every couple of months.  If it's a long term exhibit (10+ years) then designing it for that specific exhibit would be fine because the technology will be so much better in 10 years anyway.  Hope this helps.

Alan Byler
    AV / Lighting Technician
    State Museum of Pennsylvania
    Harrisburg PA
    (717) 783-9913

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Lighting - Distance, Angle, Height.

Posted 09-14-2018 09:03 AM
    ​David,

If you have the option, I highly recommend Alan's suggestion of a grid system.  Ideally, you should be able to place two lighting instruments focused on a single point, one coming from either side at about a 45 degree angle. So, a grid will give you maximum flexibility.  If  that's not possible,  analyze your space with that 45 degree angle in mind when you are looking at how far back to place your tracks.  Be sure to take into consideration the lighting instruments you are using and the strength of the light they produce at distance.  Best of luck!

Deborah Bigness
    Manager of Site Operations, Lubbock Lake National Historic Landmark
    Museum of Texas Tech University
    Lubbock TX

• 4.  RE: Lighting - Distance, Angle, Height.

Posted 09-17-2018 06:47 PM
    David,

I recommend keeping a 30-35 degree angle to avoid backlighting situations, at about a distance of three feet from the wall. Distance, angle, and height are important, but so is the lighting. LED that mimics the electromagnetic spectrum without injury to the artwork is the best. Best vendor for lighting is Tailored Lighting out of Rochester, NY.

Kathrine Page

Kathrine Page
    The Gretchen Hupfel Curator of Contemporary Art
    The Delaware Contemporary
    Wilmington, DE

• 5.  RE: Lighting - Distance, Angle, Height.

Posted 09-18-2018 05:53 AM
    It may seem counterintuitive, but running tracks in tangent to the primary walls usually results in the most flexibility for spaces that exhibit a variety of materials (2D, object cases, thicker wall elements), when spaced a few feet apart. When track is parallel to walls it give you no flexibility for distance from wall. In tangent you have the freedom to move fixture closer and farther. Having a handful of bridge tracks that attach to two tracks and allow for placing fixtures between track rows can get you in the middle and more for detailed work. If you envision a rectangular room, run many tracks the short distance with this method. Your ceiling height and fixture type will help determine the first and last row's distance from the wall on the parallel ends. The higher the ceiling the farther you'll be from the wall. The goal with the correct beam spread is to illuminate the wall just over the heads of visitors so that they don't throw shadows. The beam spread, either as general wall washers or spots, work in the same angle, but with different purposes. Others have mentioned 30 degree angle from the fixture head to the focal area. That's good, but don't make the mistake of position the track at the 30 degree point, but rather the nose of the lighting instrument itself, which depending on the size could be 6-12" lower. This is especially true if you're using older conventional can fixtures. The light fixture/bulb will have photometries which give you the exact beam spread. A simple section drawing of the wall/floor/ceiling/track and position of the art can be done (with a scale person) and you can mock up the scenario with some basic drawing.

Of course, I advocate for using a professional lighting designer (which I'm not) to help with the layout. It's well worth the cost when weighed against the material/installation costs and the longevity of time you'll be living with mistaken placements or cost to retrofit.

Good luck.

Best,
    Seth

SethFrankel
    Principal, Studio Tectonic
    Boulder, Colorado USA
    seth@studiotectonic.com
    www.studiotectonic.com

• 6.  RE: Lighting - Distance, Angle, Height.

Posted 09-19-2018 08:22 AM
    David, I think that Seth has made many excellent points about gallery lighting strategies. If you can provide for flexibility in placing your lighting fixtures, you will be forever grateful for your original sagacity. Seth's suggestion for hiring a lighting designer at the outset can be critical, of course. I recently visited a museum where I worked a few decades ago, and was disappointed to see that the tracks and fixtures that were there before my tenure were still in use; the first new lighting installation was about to happen. It will be interesting to see the results. In my last museum, we achieved moderate lighting flexibility in the galleries by using new, short tracks that could be surface mounted to the ceiling almost anywhere, and plugged into a power tap on the permanent track. Not ideal, but essential (and cheap) for lighting some odd spots in the galleries. For one special, long-term installation of a very large painting, we made a layout on the floor (easier than on a wall) with a rough model of the picture frame, and a few light fixtures that could be moved around. Nothing like empirical testing, if you can manage it.

One other vital point I would like to make is that if someone else is specifying the minimum effective number of track fixtures for your installation, add a goodly percentage of fixtures, to try to ensure that you will have enough. Aside from installing tracks in patterns that are not quite what you want, having too few fixtures is a tough thing to deal with. Buying more after the fact entails a large and hard-to-obtain budget allocation. All right, one more suggestion: try a few choices of bulbs before purchasing a large supply; anyone else's recommendation of what is best for you may not be what looks best in your gallery. Make a simple, small-scale test, choose the best light for your gallery, then go ahead.

Best,
    Bruce

Bruce MacLeish
    Curator Emeritus, Newport Restoration Foundation
    Cooperstown NY

• 7.  RE: Lighting - Distance, Angle, Height.

Posted 09-19-2018 09:49 AM
    If you plan on doing this yourself,  I would like to add that you need to know how many fixtures each track can handle and what wattage bulb each fixture can handle.  If you need more light on an object, the first reaction is to grab a brighter bulb.  But putting a 100 watt bulb in a 50 watt fixture will lead to failure, and possibly disaster.  Having one long track around the perimeter of a large room could cause trouble.  It may need to be broken up into sections and each one placed on a separate circuit.  

Doing some math now could save you a lot of headaches in the future.

Bill Browne
    Westlake LA

• 8.  RE: Lighting - Distance, Angle, Height.

Posted 09-21-2018 12:03 PM
    We are planning to update the lighting in our gallery. The current track system is attached to conduit that hangs from the vaulted ceiling. Does anyone have ideas for flexibility in that situation an/or recommendations for a lighting designer in the Philadelphia area?

Thanks.

Fran Orlando
    Director of Exhibitions & Artmobile
    Bucks County Community College
    Newtown PA