Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Museum Pay (Again)

Katherine Owens

Katherine Owens08-01-2018 12:21 PM

• 1.  Museum Pay (Again)

Posted 07-02-2018 08:27 AM
    Spurred by a recent call for employers to list salary/salary range in job advertisements, Leadership Matters revisits the topic of museum pay and offers suggestions to leadership regarding transparency and accountability. We've included some advice for employees and job seekers, too.

Happy reading and stay cool.

Joan Baldwin and Anne Ackerson
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Museum Pay (Again)

Posted 07-18-2018 04:36 PM
    Some good news on this front:

American Association for State & Local History President & CEO John Dichtl informed me yesterday that "a few months ago we made it a requirement for jobs posted on the AASLH Career Center to list a salary range." 

AASLH intends to remove any ads on their system that fail to post pay ranges.

------------------------------
    Paul Thistle
    Director/Curator (retired)
    Stratford ON

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Museum Pay (Again)

Posted 07-19-2018 11:17 AM

Good news, and kudos to AAHLS for moving the needle in the right direction!

Michael

Michael Holland
    Principal/Owner
    Michael Holland Productions

Redmond, WA USA

• 4.  RE: Museum Pay (Again)

Posted 07-20-2018 07:26 AM
    Now AAM needs to follow suit.

Anne

• 5.  RE: Museum Pay (Again)

Posted 07-20-2018 09:40 AM
    Kudos to AASLH and I agree with Anne that the AAM should do the same, not to mention Global Museum and other sites that list museum jobs.   If nothing else, the practice will eliminate applicants for whom the range is untenable.  As I posted here some months ago I am writing a book (Rowman & Littlefield, pub.) about how to get a museum job (and, again, thanks everyone who responded with comments on the idea).  I will now add this pending fact.  Perfect timing. 

Regards,

Steve

Steven Miller
    Executive Director, Ret.
    Boscobel Restoration, Inc
    Garrison NY

• 6.  RE: Museum Pay (Again)

Posted 07-24-2018 02:17 PM
    My experience is that very often the salaries for positions listed on job websites are negotiable, particularly at medium to large museums. In addition, a museum could list a salary at the low end of their range, but will  offer something higher for the candidate they want.  Therefore, including salary information can be misleading. It might also keep qualified applicants from pursuing a position if they see a salary that's  lower than their expectations.  The current law prohibits employers and search consultants from asking a candidate's present salary, (they can be asked what their salary expectations are) so employers can no longer use that information to justify offering the potential employee a lower salary. 

Freda

Freda Mindlin
    President
    Opportunity Resources Inc.
    New York NY

• 7.  RE: Museum Pay (Again)

Posted 07-25-2018 12:23 PM

Some salaries are negotiable, but there's usually still a ceiling (and hopefully a floor) for most positions.  Listing a salary range will allow potential applicants to know where those are.  A candidate is free to negotiate in an effort to raise the ceiling, but if they can see what the upper end of the range is, they can have a more realistic idea of what would be reasonable to ask for.  If they have no idea that the museum isn't willing/able to pay more than $45,000 and the applicant needs $50,000, they might be able to make a deal, but if they're looking for $65,000 they might want to save everyone some time and look for another job opportunity elsewhere.

While I think that disclosure of salary info should happen for all positions, it's extremely important for entry and mid-level positions.  Perhaps at the executive level, applicants can usually safely assume that their compensation would be enough to meet living expenses, but for many museum positions that is very much not the case.  Even at large museums (which tend to be found in urban centers with a high cost of living) the salaries offered to an education coordinator, an exhibit tech, or a collections assistant can be perilously close to the limits of viability.  I just saw a position at a very large museum offering a salary in the mid $30,000's - in New York City!  (That might work, if you have six room mates...) 

Listing a salary range for all new hires carries the potential to raise questions among existing staff, who are likely to compare their own salary to the one being offered for the new position.  If a museum is uncomfortable with that, perhaps that's an indicator that they are not confident in their own internal compensation equity. 

Michael Holland
    Principal/Owner
    Michael Holland Productions

Redmond, WA USA

• 8.  RE: Museum Pay (Again)

Posted 07-25-2018 01:04 PM

Having worn both hats (person hiring the new employee and person applying) I appreciate the frustrations for all involved. When I am the applicant, I want to be able to rank my prospects and make life-sustaining plans for myself and my family with real numbers. I don't want to invest a lot of time and energy in the application only to find the salary is untenable. As the employer, I want the best people I can get without breaking my budget. In the places where I have done the hiring, raising salaries meant a constant scramble for grant funds (never good to be overly dependent on that income source) and/or forcing some other line in the budget to suffer (e.g. postponing maintenance on the historic house yet again).

When I am job hunting, and the salary range is not stated in the ad, I start by looking at the most recently available 990 tax form (available for free from sites like Guidestar). It's typically a year old and will tell you only what the highest paid employee earns. If I am not applying for the top job myself, I know the job I want is definitely going to be below what the Director makes. If I get a call to advance to the stage of interviewing, that's when I ask point blank: What is the salary range, because we can save each a lot of time if we are not both in the same ball park. And that's what I would tell every finalist before we set a date for the interview.

When I am the job seeker, depending how badly I think I want this job, I might agree to keep going even if the top end of the range is a little less than I want. After I blow their socks off during the interview and I get the final offer, that's when I negotiate for more money, or reduced hours. If I want $50K for FT work, I might be willing to do $40K for a 4-day week. But I wouldn't want to get into that conversation until after the interview, and I can feel very honest in saying: I can get the work done that you need done in less time.

Important questions to ask if the ad does not state the salary range:
    What is the percent difference between the highest paid and lowest paid staff?
    What is the rationale for that? (If it is a really big difference.)
    Is the salary for the position being advertised dependent on soft money (grants)?
    What is the value of the benefit package?
    What is your policy on employees being able to work for hire outside of the expected weekly time?

Deborah Smith
    Consultant Belfast Maine

• 9.  RE: Museum Pay (Again)

Posted 07-20-2018 02:45 PM
    Our Board is discussing this (right now we "encourage" the inclusion of salary ranges and indicate in the job description when it is not included) and we were wondering what the arguments are for not including a salary range (other than trying to get someone to work for as little as possible).   Any thoughts?

Janice Klein
    Executive Director
    Museum Association of Arizona
    Tempe AZ

• 10.  RE: Museum Pay (Again)

Posted 07-23-2018 01:18 PM
    If D & I is a motivator, it's a more equitable practice. In California it is the law that you have to have a salary range and that if you are asked, it must be provided. So I'm sure we'll see more laws moving in this direction. 

http://nonprofitaf.com/2015/06/when-you-dont-disclose-salary-range-on-a-job-posting-a-unicorn-loses-its-wings/

Ray Smith PhD
    Director
    Corita Art Center
    Los Angeles CA

• 11.  RE: Museum Pay (Again)

Posted 07-25-2018 10:50 AM
    Having been in the job market recently, and having been responsible for many hires, I would encourage museums to list their range in an honest way. Putting a lower salary range out there and then thinking it will get you a candidate that you can negotiate with for a higher salary is faulty thinking and wastes everyone's time.

Lori Eklund

• 12.  RE: Museum Pay (Again)

Posted 07-26-2018 09:09 AM
    I look forward to AASLH implementing/formalizing their policy about requiring salary ranges being included in job postings.

However, a quick look at the AASLH website shows a number of new (and old) job postings that do not list salary ranges.

Paul Orselli
    President and Chief Instigator
    POW!

• 13.  RE: Museum Pay (Again)

Posted 07-26-2018 10:26 AM
    Great news! John Dichtl, AASLH President <g class="gr_ gr_6 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="6" data-gr-id="6">and</g> CEO has confirmed they will now be requiring salary ranges be listed for positions posted on the Career Center and only accept postings for internships and fellowships that are paid. 

AASLH is in the midst of updating their website and will be removing job posts without salary ranges and giving organizations an opportunity to re-post with salary ranges.

Paul Orselli
    President and Chief Instigator
    POW!

• 14.  RE: Museum Pay (Again)

Posted 08-01-2018 12:21 PM
    Edited by Katherine Owens 08-01-2018 12:26 PM