Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Collecting information about visitor interests

Posted 04-13-2017 05:16 PM
    Hello, everyone! I have found this forum this to be such a valuable resource, but this is my first posting. 

We are interested in collecting more information from our visitors about their specific art and program interests (from Pennsylvania Impressionism to jazz music to photography and beyond). The goal of this effort is to build programs and special events with community interests in mind. I'd welcome recommendations about tools to accomplish this data collection smoothly and efficiently. We have or are planning the following:

• a kiosk survey in our lobby
    • an online survey that we will invite our e-newsletter subscribers to complete 
    • a simple printed card that we will offer to visitors in the hope they will share their general impressions, emails, and interests (checked boxes) before leaving 
    Currently our front desk staff collects only zip codes. Because of time and lack of technology, I'm not sure they are able to collect more than that. 

Are there any other tools/approaches you have found to be successful? Do you have any lessons learned?

Thanks in advance for any input! 

------------------------------
    Christine Hensel Triantos
    Associate Director of Marketing and Communications
    James A. Michener Art Museum
    Doylestown PA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Collecting information about visitor interests

Posted 04-14-2017 09:51 AM
    Hi Christine!
    Hope it's going well since our last chat. I can't recall if I outlined what visitor info we collect... but here's the gamut:
    - small survey kiosk (run on an old computer); offers "choose your gift" - 3 popular offerings from the gift shop; name drawn randomly 1x/month; we ask basic demographics, marketing questions, and visit-related questions. We get approx 2% participation.
    - comment cards also used; some visitors prefer those, smaller percentage collected, but great info and commentary
    - social media: we observe/collect/share feedback from our various channels; not really formal or structured, but useful

We would also like to get some surveys going to our e-news subscribers and members; just a matter of finding time slots to prepare/execute/analyze. Would love to hear about others success in this area.

All the best,
    Margit

Margit Hotchkiss
    Deputy Director of Audience and Business Development
    Norman Rockwell Museum
    Stockbridge MA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Collecting information about visitor interests

Posted 04-16-2017 02:20 PM
    Boscobel is in the midst of a visitor survey organized for us (at a price) by Marist College.  It is north of us, in Poughkeepsie, and one of our trustees teaches there.  it is the first time I have been able to conduct a professional visitor survey and I am very pleased with how it is going.  Rather than make it an extensive demographic inquiry, we focus on the quality of the visiting experience.  The two prime questions I have are: why did you come here; how did you hear about us?  

The bulk of the questions were generated in-house but the folks at Marist helped finess the format, and, keep it relatively brief!  They are well-known for their political polling.  To help make it as "neutral" as possible, the survey is conducted by volunteers.  Every 5th visitor is asked when they arrive at the admission desk if they would take the survey when they are about to leave.  Most agree.  The questionaire is on two iPads...which work most of the time.  There is a hard copy option for those preferring that.  We also distribute business cards with the address to go to to do it on-line.  You can visit this and see what we have: Boscobel's Visitor Survey
    We started last year and are continuing it this year.  So far we have about 300 responses.  We in do it on weekdays as well as weekends.  The scope of the project depends on volunteer availability.

Regards,

Steve.

Steven Miller
    Executive Director
    Boscobel House and Gardens
    Garrison NY

• 4.  RE: Collecting information about visitor interests

Posted 04-17-2017 08:39 AM
    Have you considered making a game of it?  One way we've approached surveys, is by designing small, web-based games that sit on a museum's website and offer a fun, educational and unique way to gather information.  A short, comical, dialogue based game is a great, light-hearted tool.  You can throw in a variety of questions around a certain exhibit your planning, or garner feedback on an existing one.  You can also gauge people's interest on a variety of different topics this way, all while gaining information about your guests.

We built this quick game for Royal Ontario Museum, to help them garner interest in an upcoming exhibit about the dawn of life.  
    eCambrian by Davoid
    itch.io remove preview
    eCambrian by Davoid
    Join the Cambrian Dating Scene. Available to play online
    View this on itch.io >

Michael Mackay
    Manager, Sales & Marketing
    Spongelab Interactive
    Toronto, Ontario
    Michael.Mackay@spongelab.com