Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Use of emotional support animals by volunteers?

Posted 07-05-2018 01:55 PM
    Hi all,

I've seen a few conversations about the use of emotional support animals (ESAs) by visitors to museums, but I haven't seen (or have missed) any conversations specific to the use of ESAs by volunteers during their shifts. Has anyone else had to confront this question? We currently have a volunteer who has brought their ESA (a dog) to their shifts behind our front desk. There haven't been any complaints, but of course we'd like to be able to establish a policy one way or another. My understanding is that California law protects the use of ESAs by employees, but not volunteers. Anyone out there in California who could confirm this? Anyone more generally who has had to set a policy on this?

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    Jonathan Piper PhD
    Manager of Museum Collections and Exhibitions
    Museum of Making Music
    Carlsbad CA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Use of emotional support animals by volunteers?

Posted 07-06-2018 09:23 AM
    Jonathan,

This is a really good question. I would love this to be brought up and discussed in the American Association for Museum Volunteers. American Association for Museum Volunteers - Home.

Luke Leyh
    Coordinator, Visitor Services
    United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
    Washington DC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Use of emotional support animals by volunteers?

Posted 07-06-2018 09:58 AM
    ​As you are forming your policy you could require a level of training for the support animal. The AKC has what is called the Canine Good Citizenship Award, which requires the dog to pass a basic test  which indicate it is good in public. It tests for basic obedience and reactions to people, dogs, and other stimuli which would be in a normal public environment. The CGC is available across the US, so finding a test site would be easy for most people.

Jennifer Kuhn
    Demonstrator
    Corning Museum of Glass
    Prattsburgh NY