Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Action? on Museum Workers Leaving the Field

Posted 01-22-2018 12:37 PM
    Dear colleagues:[Cross-posting indulgence coveted]

Some listers may recall the now 4-month old trending issue concerning museum workers leaving the field because of unsustainably low wages & the exploitative overwork expected in our field.

These days, "time poor" museum practitioners seem to have lapsed into silence on such issues.

In this light, may I suggest that individuals who remain concerned & who plan to attend upcoming national and/or regional museum association annual general meetings consider introducing resolutions requesting action like the following.

Any willing movers & seconders are encouraged to massage the wording of the following draft resolution-or write your own!-to suit the particular museum organisation.

Understand; these problems will never be solved if museum workers say or do nothing about them. Action is absolutely necessary!

DRAFT Resolution for Professional Museum Organisation Annual General Meetings:

WHEREAS: museum institutions have an ethical duty to "protect" employees [and volunteers too] on the same level of importance as collections (International Council of Museums 2004: 1; American Association of Museums 2000: 2),

WHEREAS: retention of emerging and mid-career museum professionals in this field anecdotally is problematic due to unsustainably low pay levels compounded by unreasonable expectations to overwork (Milldrum 2017; Merritt 2015),

AND WHEREAS: an informal survey of 1,067 museum workers has found evidence that, of those respondents who no longer work in the field, 65% reported low pay and 33% reported poor work/life balance among multiple reasons for leaving their museum jobs (Ocello et al. 2017: 6; Erdman et al. 2017),

THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED THAT:

This annual general meeting of [INSERT NAME OF ORGANISATION HERE] direct the Executive to investigate, partner with like regional, national, and international professional museum organisations to plan and carry out formal research on museum workers at all levels and, based on the results of such research, then plan and take best effort actions to address any substantive pay (e.g. Nonprofit Quarterly 2014) and quality of working life issues identified by the research to ensure that the problems identified are addressed effectively at the earliest possible dates.

References Cited:

American Association of Museums. 2000. Code of Ethics for Museums. Washington: American Association of Museums.

Erdman, Sarah et al. 2017. "Leaving the Museum Field." Alliance Labs blog [American Alliance of Museums] posted 22 September http://labs.aam-us.org/blog/leaving-the-museum-field/  .

International Council of Museums. 2004. ICOM Code of Ethics for Museums. Paris: International Council of Museums.

Merritt, Elizabeth. 2015. "Unsafe Ideas: Building Museum Worker Solidarity for Social Justice." Center for the Future of Museums Blog posted 2 June at http://futureofmuseums.blogspot.ca/2015/06/unsafe-ideas-building-museum-worker.html .

Milldrum, Claire. 2017. "Why I Left The Museum Field: A Guest Post By Claire Milldrum." ExhibiTricks: A Museum/Exhibit/Design Blog posted 11 September http://blog.orselli.net/2017/09/why-i-left-museum-field-guest-post-by.html .

Nonprofit Quarterly. 2014. [Pay deficits in the case of women in museum work for example are well-documented. Nonprofit Quarterly March 2014 reporting on National Center for Arts Research found that women leading art museums "earn 79 [to 71 for small museums] cents on the dollar paid to male peers," The GuideStar 2013 Nonprofit Compensation Report finds similar differential between pay for men compared to women across all categories.  2012 American Association of Museums study reports women make 78%.]

Ocello, Claudia et al. 2017. "Why are Great Museum Workers Leaving the Field? Survey by Claudia Ocello, Dawn Salerno, Sarah Erdman, & Marieke Van Damme." https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1_aHdxmG0Jdb4deqsjyhH9eoDUIPXz_EdkU-7gWuXDwE/edit?usp=sharing .

Respectfully yours

Paul C. Thistle

------------------------------
    Paul Thistle
    Director/Curator [retired]
    Stratford ON
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Action? on Museum Workers Leaving the Field

Posted 01-23-2018 01:19 PM
    Hello Paul, thank you for sharing these thoughts. Please note that the 2015 post on the CFM Blog "Unsafe Ideas: Building Museum Worker Solidarity for Social Justice" was written by Alyssa Greenberg and Nina Pelaez, two of the founding members of the group Museum Workers Speak.

Elizabeth Merritt
    VP Strategic Foresight & Founding Director, CFM
    American Alliance of Museums
    Arlington VA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Action? on Museum Workers Leaving the Field

Posted 01-23-2018 01:20 PM

Hello Mr. Thistle,

Thank you for your post. I am on the Board of Trustees for the National Emerging Museum Professionals Network. We are a group spanning across the United States hoping to better the careers and experiences of those in the first 10 years of their museum career. We've recently begun discussing what we can do to better the salary situation for entry/mid-career professionals and how we can draw attention to the problem. Our president, Michelle Epps, would love to speak with you about your post and thoughts of how we can begin this change. If you wouldn't mind speaking with her, please email her at president@nationalempnetwork.org. If that doesn't work please let me know and we can set something else up.

We hope to hear from you, and thank you again for your post. 

Katie Conrad

Katie Conrad
    Board of Trustees, National Emerging Museum Professionals Network

• 4.  RE: Action? on Museum Workers Leaving the Field

Posted 04-30-2018 04:26 PM
    Katie:
    Thanks for your interest.
    Sorry to have missed replying here. 
    I will contact Ms. Epps directly.

Paul Thistle
    Director/Curator (retired)
    Stratford ON

• 5.  RE: Action? on Museum Workers Leaving the Field

Posted 01-23-2018 03:02 PM
    Paul,

Due to my location, my ability to attend conferences and annual meetings is limited.  However, I strongly support this resolution and will forward it to our state museum association for discussion.  Please let me know if there is any additional help that I can provide.  We have to work together to create a more sustainable and supportive work environment for museum professionals.

Kristy Griffin
    Curator of Collections & Exhibits
    Sitka Historical Society
    Sitka AK

• 6.  RE: Action? on Museum Workers Leaving the Field

Posted 01-24-2018 07:15 AM
    Adding a link to this overview of museum "quit lit" that might be of interest: Emma Boast and Maddie Mott, "Labor of Love: Revaluing Museum Work"

Steven Lubar
    Professor of American Studies and History
    Brown University

New book: "Inside the Lost Museum: Curating, Past and Present"

• 7.  RE: Action? on Museum Workers Leaving the Field

Posted 04-30-2018 04:50 PM
    Steven:

Your link is useful, however, I must disagree with the statement "Because of their systemic nature, no single museum can make these changes alone, . . ."

To me, this suggests that the only way to address the problems is to engage in "copy cat management." 

In fact, many of the solutions can be implemented at the institutional level.

For example, see my blog post "Managing Expectation Inflation & Resulting Stress in Museum Work"  at https://solvetasksaturation.wordpress.com/2015/05/15/managing-expectation-inflation-resulting-stress-in-museum-work/

Every post on my Solving Task Saturation for Museum Workers blog proposes solutions to problematic quality of working lives in museums.

Paul Thistle
    Director/Curator
    Stratford ON

• 8.  RE: Action? on Museum Workers Leaving the Field

Posted 04-30-2018 04:34 PM
    Kristy:

Thanks for your interest in these matters and for considering presenting them at the state level.  I believe strongly that a coordinated regional, national, & international (Canada & USA at least) will be necessary.  However, we can think globally, but act locally to start.

Stay tuned to my blog https://solvetasksaturation.wordpress.com/ .  Recent information on severe limitations on the type of resolutions that the AAM Constitution allows-to me-means that AAM members will have to start by moving amendments aimed at expanding member voting rights.

Paul Thistle
    Director/Curator (retired)
    Stratford ON