Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Urgent Assistance Requested

Posted 05-08-2020 06:30 PM
    Edited by Aubrey Hobart 05-14-2020 02:22 PM
    Post deleted.
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Urgent Assistance Requested

Posted 05-11-2020 06:44 AM
    Wow ... this is an awful story.  Obviously, it's trumped by the human toll of illness and death, but you need a friend or friends in the local media to get this story out.  There are examples of similar tragedies or near-tragedies in the past - look to Detroit and several colleges (Brandeis) during the Great Recession ... make sure, if you have them, your MEMBERS know... is there an advisory board?  volunteers?  docents?  Do they pay taxes?  VOTE?  What about the Chamber?

Vivian F. Zoë, Director
    Slater Memorial Museum
    108 Crescent Street, Norwich CT 06360
    860-425-5560 vox
    860-885-0379 fax

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work," Chuck Close, 2003

Please note:  The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments hereto is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients.  If the reader/recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this e-mail and all attachments hereto in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and destroy the original message received.  Thank You.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Urgent Assistance Requested

Posted 05-11-2020 09:18 AM
    This sounds like a tough and urgent situation and probably needs political action in terms of a large grass roots (voter) support for your museum (letter writing, phone calling, etc.), perhaps a strong message from your state arts council (if you have one) and even an approach from the Governor's office to set things right. Museum officials will have to be careful not be perceived as fire starters but, perhaps, there is a wealthy and/or politically connected board member who could lead the effort. This is definitely an issue that needs to be taken up by your board and your membership. Happy to provide some strategic thoughts and counseling along the way in a private conversation.
    Courtney B. Wilson
    Courtney B. Wilson & Associates, LLC

------------------------------
    Courtney B. Wilson
    Retired Executive Director
    Museum Advisor and Consultant
    St. Augustine, FL

• 4.  RE: Urgent Assistance Requested

Posted 05-11-2020 10:06 AM
    This is a terrible situation, for sure.

I have long ago advocated and run profitable museums that bonus each year numerous times and make all of their own money. When you make all of your own money from profits and sales you never again need:

1. Panhandling
    2. Grants
    3. Endowment
    4. Donations, annuities, stocks as gifts
    5. Allotments from civil entities such as municipal, county, or state.

Although these five items are excellent to have, obtain, receive and get (they certainly can be pursued) removing them from the core budget of buildings, payroll, utilities, insurance, and bonus checks is paramount. In 2008 our Speaker of the House in NC reflected with me about the then economic holocaust and dozens of state-owned museums closing and laying off hundreds. They had to decide to fund schools, prisons, or the arts and could do two out of three.

I related to him that we provide a turkey, ham, champagne, bonus, and chocolates for Thanksgiving every year and in addition to being a for-profit function are constantly coming up with innovative ways to make money. After all, our colleagues enjoy their bonus checks!

I realize that many in our field find our advocacy outrageous and that society should pay for the arts via public funds from the general ledger of towns, counties, and states - not to mention federal funds (I for one do not should on people). But then they continue to find themselves in these situations of open horror, bankruptcy, jobless torture for deserving and kind team members now cast out on the streets, and being cut-off from new leaders who have no love for the arts and museums budgets.

Why some find it sickening to be responsible and profitable, to give raises and bonus checks, without begging town hall - I will never know. When you turn a profit and provide surplus monies to the trustees - you just watch how happy they get. In the case of publicly owned museums - when they are a source of income for a town - you just watch how much they are loved.

These things could lay the groundwork for a better relationship with your city leaders. Especially when you show them a three-year plan to become profitable. I am wishing you luck, love, and care.

Thank you, from Marti

Martin CJ Mongiello, MBA, MA, MCFE.

CEO and CMO at The United States Presidential Service Center Foundation Trusts and US Presidential Culinary Museum. White House Military Office badge number 14592, 301 Cleveland Avenue, Grover, NC 28073
    001 (704) 937-2940 

www.PresidentialServiceCenter.org

www.PresidentialCulinaryMuseum.org

GM of The Inn of the Patriots country inn www.TheInnofthePatriots.com

"Enjoy a night at the museum!"

• 5.  RE: Urgent Assistance Requested

Posted 05-11-2020 10:50 AM

Hi Audrey,

First off, I am so sorry! My immediate suggestion is to reach out to your elected officials and/or your board of directors and community advocates should be talking to your City Council. I'm not sure what kind of governing body you have, but most that you describe should only be possible by City Council action and approval. I'd also suggest engaging your supporters to advocate via the public/media for your institution, have a petition started, etc. I would also talk to your State Arts agency to see if they can help advocate from the State level and get your State legislators involved.

If you have a Foundation or collections committee, they should be digging into the legal ramifications in place on selling off your collection. I would dig into your charter/master plan/ acquisition polices to see what your limitations are for those. As a municipality, you may not be able to sell off artwork, the City I currently work for cannot do this. If we did ever liquidate, we would have to donate our collection to a non-profit entity. 

I'm crossing my fingers for you all!

Best, 

Lindsay 

Lindsay Benacka
    Arts and Culture Program Manager
    Yuma Art Center - City of Yuma, AZ

• 6.  RE: Urgent Assistance Requested

Posted 05-11-2020 11:24 AM
    Do you have museum champions or individuals in your community who know and value the importance and impact of your museum who can speak out? Do you have a history of engaging in ongoing advocacy where your constituents and patrons communicate to elected officials and the public in general about the importance of your museum?  This is a good example of the need for ongoing advocacy so that it times of difficulties there are advocates within your circle that will speak out and that you can call upon to help make the case for why your institution is important.  Do you have teachers, parents, community leaders, other constituents who will make the case?  Statistics about the economic impact of your museum?  Quotes from visitors?  Information from visitor surveys?  School board members or other elected officials who are friendly towards your museum.  There are lots of advocacy resources on the AAM web site.

Karen Witter
    Independent Museum Consultant and freelance writer

• 7.  RE: Urgent Assistance Requested

Posted 05-11-2020 01:27 PM
    Dear Aubrey & colleagues:

Somewhat dated data from the early 1990s focused on one Canadian case & research in the literature available at the time may be of limited use to you in the following journal article & report on municipal museums:

Thistle, Paul C.1992. "Small Museums and Municipal Funding." Muse [Canadian Museums Association] IX(3): 24-31 [includes French translation "Les Petits Musées et les Subventions Municipalities"] at  https://miscellaneousmuseology.files.wordpress.com/2019/05/thistle-on-municipal-museums-muse-1992.pdf .

Thistle, Paul C. 1990 "Museums & Municipal Funding: Toward a Strategy for Increasing Local Government Support for Heritage Institutions."  The Pas, MB: Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Recreation & The Sam Waller Little Northern Museum https://miscellaneousmuseology.files.wordpress.com/2019/05/museums-municipal-funding-strategy-for-heritage-support-1990.pdf .

Included are strategies involving the political work necessary to persuade decision-makers in local governments.  Be advised,however, political action needed brings with it associated political risks.

Best wishes for success.

Respectfully yours

Paul C. Thistle

Paul C.Thistle
    Director/Curator (retired)
    Stratford, Ontario

• 8.  RE: Urgent Assistance Requested

Posted 05-12-2020 09:08 AM
    Actually I thought that I had posted on here before but do not see it now.  The main thing that I was saying is your strength seems to be among the people.  Like others have stated get a grassroots support group going.  Now Aubrey seeing your other points here gives a little more to think about.  Anyhow you do seem to be doing what you can to be prepared.  How about this 101-year old benefactor you mention it seems as if to not hold up his wishes would be to no longer honor such a great citizen.  One other thing which I could suggest is that if you had some other exhibit or presentation that tells about and celebrates your local history this would seem to show the city council and manager an important thing which the museum does for them.
    Jerry Foley

Jerry Foley
    GPO
    National Gallery of Art
    Washington DC

• 9.  RE: Urgent Assistance Requested

Posted 05-13-2020 11:02 AM
    Dear colleagues:

I can now update my previous contribution to this string that contains some 21st century resources provided by professional museum organisations to help museums effectively advocate for support & even legally participate in the political process--as well as elections--at all levels including the municipal bailiwick. 

See the Critical Museology Miscellanea blog post "Municipal Museum Cuts: Cautionary Tale & Response Strategies" dated 11 May at  https://miscellaneousmuseology.wordpress.com/2020/05/11/municipal-museum-cuts-cautionary-tale-response-strategies/ (accessed 13 May 2020).

Paul C.Thistle
    Stratford, Ontario

• 10.  RE: Urgent Assistance Requested

Posted 09-22-2020 05:48 PM
    UPDATE 22 September 2020

Dear colleagues:

I am getting back to the now deleted post at the top of this string with 12 additional perspectives on museum values & support issues that I believe will help institutions to be pro-active in building awareness of what the role of a museum is & its benefits to local communities. See the Thistle (2020) reference below for access to all of these perspectives & more.

Among the range of arguments presented in these editorials is the following:

1993 02 Values of Museums: [Museum values & support issues] This is a response to a comment by the minister responsible for museums in the Canadian province of Manitoba that government "can not afford" to support museums because they are not "essential services." The 6-page viewpoint "Special Issue: On the Value of Our Museum" presents the case for the heritage values provided by museums to their communities using The Sam Waller Museum as a case study.

I trust that heritage institutions looking for ways & means of building community support for their purposes & programmes will find usable ideas & strategies to succeed.

Reference Cited:

Thistle, Paul C. 2020. "UPDATE on "Urgent Request for Assistance": 12 Relevant Editorials." Critical Museology Miscellanea blog posted on 22 September at https://miscellaneousmuseology.wordpress.com/2020/09/22/update-on-urgent-request-for-assistance-12-relevant-editorials/ (accessed 22 September 2020).

Paul C.Thistle
    Stratford, Ontario