Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Work/office space for visitors or members

Posted 04-27-2021 11:00 AM
    Edited by Kim Rapp 04-28-2021 02:11 PM
    Hello, 
    I have become very interested in whether, how, and why museums dedicate lounge/office/work space for its members or other visitors. 
    If you have such a space in your museum and are willing to share information with me (or even just let me know you have such space so that I can review your online description of the space), it would be much appreciated. 
    My plan is to conduct this survey and share the information in a published article or blog post. 
    Thank you very much,
    Kim Rapp
    Northwestern University
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Work/office space for visitors or members

Posted 04-28-2021 09:36 AM
    We have a research room that is next to our archives. It used to include a couch even! The space includes a lot of general reference materials, local history publications are offered freely, and there is a window where guests/members can interact with staff/volunteers working in the archives. There is a computer there as well for visitors to access some of our general information too. It does not see a lot of use however, so I've started working displays into the space to attract more traffic.

------------------------------
    TJ Honeycutt
    Collections Manger
    Wabash County Historical Museum
    Wabash IN

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Work/office space for visitors or members

Posted 04-28-2021 04:41 PM
    Take a peek at what Colonial Williamsburg does. For their upper level donors and supporters they have a dedicated historic house that can be used for a variety of purposes from being a business center to a relaxing lounge. I always thought it was a nice way to make special friends of the museum feel special while fulfilling some needs.

Courtney B. Wilson
    Museum Consultant and Retired Executive Director
    Courtney B. Wilson & Associates, LLC
    Saint Augustine, FL 32080
    410-340-4226