Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Professional Courtesy Museum Admission for Retirees

• 1.  Professional Courtesy Museum Admission for Retirees

Posted 07-18-2021 11:45 AM
    Curious to know the reaction of other recipients of the June 23 letter from Ryan Bourke, "Director of AAM Membership", stating "If free museum admission . . .is the reason you purchase an AAM membership, we  kindly ask that you no longer renew your membership with AAM". In particular, I'd be interested to hear from retired museum full and part-time security and education professionals who want to stay up to date with the field but whose current pensions may not be what they had originally hoped.

Charles K. Steiner
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Professional Courtesy Museum Admission for Retirees

Posted 07-19-2021 06:44 AM
    As with me, many retired museum professionals are still involved in the field. Some of us are volunteers, others board members, still others consultants. And, yes, some retirees just want to enjoy courtesy admissions. In all of these cases, surely AAM would want to keep us informed and enlightened. And surely AAM would have factored in membership motivations when the dues structure was revamped some time back.

------------------------------
    John Wharton
    REVS INSTITUTE
    Naples FL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Professional Courtesy Museum Admission for Retirees

Posted 07-19-2021 07:37 AM
    Frankly, I was surprised by the tone of the letter. I maintain my AAM membership as a retired professional to support and keep in touch with what is happening in the museum world. My husband and I moved from NYC to western Massachusetts 5 years ago. Two of the museums we especially like to go to, MassMoCA and the Eric Carle Museum, do not take the AAM card. In addition, whenever I go to a museum, whether up here or in NYC, I usually have family or friends in tow and they pay the admission fee or I pay for them as my guests, so the gain for the museum in admission fees more than offsets any "loss" that might be suffered from my freebie admission.

Pamela Matsuda-Dunn
    Media Relations Manager

• 4.  RE: Professional Courtesy Museum Admission for Retirees

Posted 07-19-2021 08:12 AM
    I don't recall receiving this letter. Was it mailed or emailed? Could you share the contents with us? 

Diane Gutenkauf
    Get Outlook for iOS

• 5.  RE: Professional Courtesy Museum Admission for Retirees

Posted 07-20-2021 05:51 AM
    Ditto this, I did not receive this mail.

Additionally, I work as an independent curator, even though of retirement age. 
    I have supported AAM with my membership for almost 40 years! Even tho' I live abroad, I enjoy the benifits of my AAM membership card when I am in the US.

I follow developments in the field via this Forum and contribute occasionally. 

Id be interested to know how much revenue is generated from our demographic. Can AAM afford to alienate this constituency?

Barbara S. Krulik
    Krulik Cultural Consulting Services

• 6.  RE: Professional Courtesy Museum Admission for Retirees

Posted 07-19-2021 10:17 AM

Hi Charles,

I don't want to stifle any conversation here, but I did want to share some context to explain why I felt it was necessary to address this subject in a letter included with our renewal notices.  If retired museum professionals were the only folks purchasing our Retired Museum Professional membership, there would be no need to issue the letter. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Despite the fact that we do not market this membership beyond the museum community (nor do we include any language regarding free/discounted admission to museums in any of our marketing materials directed towards any of members or potential members), a number of money-saving or "lifehack" websites have promoted our retiree membership over the years to non-museum folks who would rather pay $50 annually to AAM to secure free or discounted admission to museums rather than support museums directly through admission or membership fees. This not only threatens crucial revenue streams for museums across the country, but it also has resulted in a massive increase in customer service requests from these folks who call or email AAM repeatedly asking for replacement membership cards that have been lost/stolen/lost in the mail. Although we do our best to educate these members about who our memberships are intended for, this takes a great deal of time and results in delays in response to our museum, professional and retired museum professional members who have legitimate membership and customer service issues that require our attention.  Please note that earlier in that same letter, I write "It has come to our attention, however, that some members not affiliated with the museum field have joined our Alliance under the impression that free or discounted admission to museums is one of the benefits of AAM membership. This is incorrect." The purpose of the letter is to discourage folks who have never worked in the museum field from purchasing AAM membership simply to get into museums for free. Although the purchase of these memberships increases AAM's own membership revenues, I do not feel it is fair to museums for AAM to continue to enable these folks to take advantage of a professional courtesy extended to those who have worked (or currently work) in the museum field. This is a difficult issue about which I can assure you we have engaged in a great deal of discussion internally, but I hope you can understand why I've decided to address this issue head-on, as the last thing I want to do is exacerbate decreasing revenue streams at museums whose ability to stay open may be at risk as a result of the pandemic.

Sincerely,
    Ryan Bourke

Ryan Bourke
    Director, Membership
    American Alliance of Museums
    Arlington VA

• 7.  RE: Professional Courtesy Museum Admission for Retirees

Posted 07-19-2021 12:49 PM
    Perhaps making a required field in the retirees' membership application stating last position held in the field, where and when might help.  Also, can AAM membership quickly vet if the applicant has previously held AAM membership?  It would be courteous to include a short statement explaining why the field is required and that membership is limited to museum field workers/retirees.

Wasn't aware that AAM membership was being marketed elsewhere without AAM approval just for the free admissions.  That's really appalling.

Donna Meadows
    Registrar, Acquisitions
    Houston Museum of Natural Science
    Houston, Texas

Donna Meadows
    Registrar, Acquisitions
    Houston Museum of Natural Science
    Houston TX

• 8.  RE: Professional Courtesy Museum Admission for Retirees

Posted 07-19-2021 01:13 PM

I agree with Donna. It was 2008 when I last worked directly for a museum before freelancing with a digital archivist who worked with museums and finally moving on to "retired" status. I would be happy to update my information if that would
    help with this matter.

I'm wondering if this has been a long-standing issue or there has been a sudden uptick in these kinds of applications?

Pamela Matsuda-Dunn
    Massachusetts

• 9.  RE: Professional Courtesy Museum Admission for Retirees

Posted 07-19-2021 01:28 PM
    Thank you for the informative response.

Best,
     Brent

Brent Newman
    Chief Curator
    Edison and Ford Winter Estates
    Fort Myers FL

• 10.  RE: Professional Courtesy Museum Admission for Retirees

Posted 07-19-2021 04:45 PM
    I did not receive said June 23 memo, and am stunned that it was written, although it does align with 30+ years of AAM membership. Perhaps he could write a follow up essay for Museum with other practical advice about how members should not benefit from their membership.

Kevin Coffee
    Lowell National Historical Park
    Lowell, NY
    https://www.nps.gov/lowe/

• 11.  RE: Professional Courtesy Museum Admission for Retirees

Posted 07-19-2021 04:47 PM
    Kevin, this isn't about museum professionals or retired museum professionals. It's about non-museum people buying retiree memberships because they think they can scam free museum admissions. That effectively robs museums of important gate fees. And that is worthy of AAMs efforts to curb it. IMHO

Diane Gutenkauf
    Get Outlook for iOS

• 12.  RE: Professional Courtesy Museum Admission for Retirees

Posted 07-19-2021 05:01 PM
    Hi Diane,

Who decides who is a 'museum professional'? And what is the actual data on the 'abuse' in question? Does AAM report a dramatic and unexplained rise in memberships? Has one of the regional museum organizations reported an otherwise unexplainable rise in requests for comped attendance? Or is this a red herring explanation meant to distract (from what I have no idea)?

best regards

Kevin Coffee
    Lowell, NY

• 13.  RE: Professional Courtesy Museum Admission for Retirees

Posted 07-19-2021 05:08 PM

Hi Kevin

Here's one example of a website promoting AAM membership to non members.

Hope this helps explain why AAM is struggling with this issue.

https://maphappy.org/the-best-museum-pass-that-no-one-knows-about/

Best,

Diane Gutenkauf

630-650-8425 (cell)
    dgutenkauf@hotmail.com
    Sent from Mail for Windows 10

• 14.  RE: Professional Courtesy Museum Admission for Retirees

Posted 07-20-2021 08:22 AM

Interesting issue. There are numerous organizations, such as NARM (North American Reciprocal Museum Association), that are used as member benefits. A member of one institution is able to gain free entry to participating museums across North America if their membership is at a certain level or higher. At CCHC our qualifying membership level isn't too much more than the AAM membership fee. It's hard to see a difference, except that one museum instead of AAM gets the one fee per year.

Perhaps AAM could find a way to maximize this situation. Everyone who is an AAM member should be an advocate for museums. An active advocate. With membership materials include talking points and strategies for supporting museums in a variety of ways. It takes all methods and AAM has the advocacy strategy to help expand that outreach so that the broad community understands that 1) support is needed and 2) how they can make a difference.

Ellen E. Endslow

Director of Collections/Curator

Chester County History Center

225 N. High Street

West Chester, PA  19380

610-692-4066 x257

Visit the History Center website, Facebook and Instagram pages to schedule your visit!

CCHC inspires, informs, and builds community identity by preserving and sharing

the remarkable story of Chester County and its people. 

• 15.  RE: Professional Courtesy Museum Admission for Retirees

Posted 07-20-2021 09:42 AM
    Hi Diane,

Thanks for sharing that link. I searched via Google yesterday evening and did find a couple of references to AAM member comped admission. The postings seem misinformed (and reiterated the same statement word for word). The AAM website itself states that comped admission is not a membership benefit (although that may be a very recent statement).

My question remains (to AAM): where is any real data on 'bogus' AAM memberships? (bogus meaning someone joining AAM to obtain comp museum admission)

As we know, admission policies are set by the admitting museum (not by AAM or some other entity), and while some do elect to participate in reciprocal admission schemes (AS-TC being one example), most do not. If a museum elects not to comp AAM members, so be it. When, in the past, AAM was publishing a list of museums that comped admission, it was a relatively short list, possible a hundred organizations (out of several thousand US museums). So I question the assertion that (hundreds? thousands? three?) persons are paying $50 pa for the rare possibility. I would think the AAM membership office would be able to document hundreds of inexplicable memberships, and/or that targeted museums would have admission stats as well.

On the other hand, if the concern is that elderly individuals are being duped into joining AAM for a 'member benefit' that does not exist, that is another matter altogether. (But also a matter for state judicial agencies, the FTC, etc.)

I would hope that AAM would welcome anyone as member who is interested in museums and in supporting the work that AAM does on their behalf. That should include those retired from paid or volunteer museum work.

best regards,

Kevin Coffee
    Lowell, NY

• 16.  RE: Professional Courtesy Museum Admission for Retirees

Posted 07-20-2021 12:06 PM
    Hello Charles,
    thank you for calling my attention to the renewal.  I received it, set the payment aside with my bills, but did not read the letter.  The comments by Ryan Bourke seem rather short sighted and disturbing.  I am sorry to see such an unprofessional tone directed toward fellow museum professionals.  I am retired from a career that I was highly invested in, gave money, lived museums, and gave time well beyond my meager salaries to upgrade organizations to professional status.  I also volunteered as a Peer Reviewer, Grant reader for IMLS and have served on several boards -continuing to do so-Unpaid, to extend the museum profession.  I now consult, but the time I invest in practice and services extends beyond payment. 

While I do enjoy the opportunity for free admission when it arises, I also bring guests to see favorite exhibitions and find the AAM membership is not recognized in many areas of interest.  Therefore, I am paying for guests and myself, in addition to purchasing things in the shops-forgetting the discount.  I do give locally, particularly to the institution from which I retired which is free admission-I might add.  

Bourke fails to recognize that those who have been career museum professionals for over 30 years, continue to visit, write, blog, post on social media and extend the nature of their "free" visits through reviews, social media sharing and driving new audiences through their work.  That is worth far beyond the $25 admission.  I am saddened to see that shortsightedness does not recognize the gifts that continue to give in many ways for the joy of museums.  This is a group he should be embracing rather than dismissing.  I may tell him so with my now, reluctant renewal. 

Jan Mirenda Smith
    Contrapposto Muse Strategies, LLC

Jan Smith
    Museum Consultant
    Neenah WI

• 17.  RE: Professional Courtesy Museum Admission for Retirees

Posted 07-20-2021 03:06 PM
    Thank you Forum Contributors for your comments on my letter from Ryan Bourke, AAM Director of Member Services.

A) While I now realize that there are ad hoc organizations urging seniors who have never worked or volunteered for a museum to join AAM in exchange for a false promise of free museum admission nationwide, it seems to me and apparently others that AAM could solve the problem by requiring a short resume on a senior citizen's application, indeed anyone's membership application, to ensure that it's membership fee and associated benefits are meeting only veteran employees and volunteers of museums. This would mean that AAM staff would be obliged to confirm the truth in the resume which would be time-consuming. 

B)Having worked for four museums myself, I have always been very aware that some institutions can ill afford to give free admission to anyone except their membership and that this is sometimes a problem for visitors.

C) Nonetheless, the tone of Mr. Bourke's letter to senior citizen membership or a similar one to any membership representing a marginal community, is troubling.

Still, I continue to be concerned by several things associated with Mr. Bourke's letter to senior citizen membership poised to renew. For examples,

1) Throughout this public forum discussion, there has been no comment from AAM's Senior Director of Equity and Culture who"oversees  internal DEAI". Were he and  Laura Lott, President and CEO of AAM, aware of Mr. Bourke's letter before it was sent? How would they feel if such a letter were sent to membership representing other marginal communities and referencing ad hoc organizations--legitimate or not-- within those same marginal communities?

2) Does anyone else find irony between the tone of Mr. Bourke's letter and the fact that AAM is presenting an on-line workshop on "Creative Aging" next week?https://www.aam-us.org/programs/museums-creative-aging/the-museum-summit-on-creative-aging/?utm_source=American+Alliance+of+Museums&utm_campaign=2c229211ae-Aviso_July20_2021&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f06e575db6-2c229211ae-37390945

Thank you all once again for helping  to analyze this  AAM membership challenge.

• 18.  RE: Professional Courtesy Museum Admission for Retirees

Posted 07-21-2021 01:41 PM

We greatly appreciate the feedback and comments made in this thread. As members of the museum field, we value your experience and appreciate your membership in our Alliance.

To reiterate what my colleague Ryan Bourke shared, it has come to our attention that individuals from the general public (of all different ages and regardless of their interest in supporting the museum field itself) have been purchasing the $50 AAM membership-intended for retired museum professionals like you-solely for the purpose of gaining free admission into museums across the country. This practice hurts museums, which are experiencing declining revenue due to the pandemic, and it also hurts folks like you all when these systems are abused.

We have a membership team of three full-time employees. This practice has become so widespread that almost half their time has been consumed by calls and emails from individuals outside our field with the explicit goal of entering museums for free. We have also been alerted from several of our museum members that individuals not affiliated with the field have berated their staff when the museums do not permit free entry with the AAM membership card.

While our recent messaging to try to put an end to this practice is not a long-term solution, it was a needed step to prioritize our individual members who are invested in the field-including all those who post to this forum!-and our museum members who rely on admission fees from the general public for revenue. We will take your feedback into account as we plan for a longer-term resolution to this issue. If you have further feedback or questions about your membership, we ask that you please contact our membership team directly at membership@aam-us.org.

Brooke Leonard
    Chief of Staff
    American Alliance of Museums
    Arlington VA

• 19.  RE: Professional Courtesy Museum Admission for Retirees

Posted 07-21-2021 04:00 PM
    Hi Charles,

You raise excellent points about diversity and inclusion, which I would hope the AAM board would rise to address with their staff.

best regards

Kevin Coffee
    Lowell, NY

• 20.  RE: Professional Courtesy Museum Admission for Retirees

Posted 07-21-2021 09:55 PM
    I was surprised by the notification in my recent AAM renewal letter admonishing those who joined AAM for the free admission perk and advising them to donate to their favorite museum rather than renewing their AAM membership.  I began my museum career at Colonial Williamsburg in the late 60's and went on to serve as an object's conservator for the National Park Service and The National Air and Space Museum. At the beginning of my career free admission with the AAM card opened the doors to the museum world and the many career paths that were available.  After my retirement in 2008 I continue to do an occasional conservation assessment in retirement and use the AAM website to garner information regarding the MAP I and II programs as well as collections management and ethics for clients who I encourage to join AAM if they had not already done so.  I usually buy a museum membership or donate to a conservation project for the museums I serve.  I also am a donor to my favorite museums. At 75, I enjoy the AAM perk of free admission, but at this age I could also get a discount because of my age or membership in another organization such as AAA.  When I do have the opportunity to use my AAM membership card for entry to either a museum or a special exhibit I am seldom alone and pay related fees for my guests. I seldom leave without a visit to the gift shop and/or drop some money into a donation box.  I have always felt pride in belonging not only to the AAM but also the American Institute for Conservation.  Is it not the decision of Museums to decide whether to recognize the AAM membership card and provide a discount or free entry?  I usually ask if there is a discount for AAM members when I enter a musem and if not, I pay.  I have always garnered a bit of satisfaction for this one perk that my AAM card provided me at the beginning of my career and at the end of it because it made me feel part of the greater museum community.  I really don't need to use my card for entry and maybe I will rethink that the next time I go to a museum but the renewal letter was terse and could be perceived as an insult to those of us retirees who have spent our lives in the museum field.

Edward McManus
    Washington, DC  

• 21.  RE: Professional Courtesy Museum Admission for Retirees

Posted 07-21-2021 10:44 PM
    I replied previously, but I cannot help but mention that many museums establish entry level memberships as a means of inclusion and affordability. Certainly, some people take advantage of purchasing at a student or senior category, but then, there are some who consider the contribution the level they can afford. In either case, you establish a connection with someone expressing an interest in a particular museum, and in this case, in museums in general.

The favorite individual museums to which those accused of purchasing AAM memberships at the reduced rate might contribute instead, are not necessarily going to get rich on these alternate contributions. However, those who have elected to join AAM, even at the lowest membership, in hopes of gaining free admission, are obviously expressing an interest in what museums have to offer. Welcoming entry level admissions so that seniors are able to broaden their access to museums, does not necessarily amount to a deficit in my opinion. While it may seem a deceitful promotion, cultivating and embracing this aging population may cause many needed areas within museums to thrive through contributions or volunteerism.

Accessibility through lower cost may encourage exposure to the broad offerings of museums, where contributions for their causes might be more readily cultivated. In the long run, the acceptance of an AAM membership in exchange for admission is not a guarantee in all museums. Yet, if AAM encourages memberships at a non professional level, it may open doors for those at both ends of the spectrum, those exploring career options and those ending theirs.

Thank you everyone.

Sent from my iPad
    Jan Mirenda Smith