Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Updating a popular interactive

Posted 11-26-2016 03:09 PM

Greetings, all!

I'm looking for input on redesigning a popular exhibit in our Discovery Center. It's a birdsong piano that plays bird calls when you press the keys on a keyboard (just your basic keyboard with an old-fashioned sound board attached).  On the wall above the keyboard is a panel of bird pictures which light up with a picture of the bird that matches the call.  It's been an absolute workhorse, but needs an update badly - it's close to 20 years old.  The current debate is whether we should stick with the keyboard/piano format or change it to a format where a button is pressed instead of using a keyboard.

Does anyone with any experience with sound interactives have any word of wisdom or know about any studies that have been done on this sort of thing?  Thank you!

------------------------------
    Kathleen McNeece
    Smead Discovery Center
    Cleveland Museum of Natural History
    Cleveland OH
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Updating a popular interactive

Posted 11-27-2016 09:17 PM
    An alternative ... a touch screen where the birds are seen flying in it. When the visitor touches one of the birds, it perches on a branch and sings its melody. We can give you more alternative ... please contact us.
    Alberto Soto
    Artegrafiko.com
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    soto@artegrafiko.com

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Updating a popular interactive

Posted 11-28-2016 10:20 AM

Please keep the keyboard! A conceptual connection with sound and music as well visual and tactile. As a visual artist and educator, this is more than another computer button. 

Debra Pearlman
    Brooklyn NY

• 4.  RE: Updating a popular interactive

Posted 11-28-2016 11:22 AM

Please keep the keyboard!. 

Or, at a minimum some other physical interface beside a button or a touchscreen. People come to our institutions to do/see something they can't do at home on their own black mirrors. As a profession we keep falling into this idea that to be relevant, it has to be on a screen, and I totally disagree with this practice. 

If the content of the exhibit has a musical connection, keep the keyboard.( or a xylephone, marimba bongos, something) If it is more about discovery, than you could go with small sculptural birds lined up on a fence, tap the bird's beak to hear its call, something tactile. - also good for vistors with low vision.

Have a look at the Makey Makey Boards, they are limited in the number of inputs but the idea is that they can turn almost any object into a "button" - might help you think about how the interface relates to the topic.

In my work, the visitor experience is at least as important as the content. Cognitively, pushing a series of round buttons is nowhere near the experience of playing a keyboard full of bird songs.

Bart

Barton Hays
    Monterey Bay Aquarium
    Monterey CA

• 5.  RE: Updating a popular interactive

Posted 11-28-2016 10:20 PM

I would go the other way around, keep the keys and make the digital portion the bird singing (via screen, projection, etc).

I agree tablets are great at some things but I would want to tap on the keys or something else that is physical.

Mike Sorrenti
    President
    VRgen / Gamepill
    Toronto, Ontario Canada
    www.vrgen.com
    www.gamepill.com

• 6.  RE: Updating a popular interactive

Posted 11-29-2016 01:39 PM
    Edited by Reek Havok 11-29-2016 01:40 PM

From what I can asses about your activity from this post, the keyboard is simply an activation system correct? If it has no MUSICAL value other than a keyboard it is a poor choice. The UI (i.e.the keys) are not at all in the best position for listening to individual sounds. I would use individual, LED Illuminated buttons that you can spread out in an attractive arrangement with information about each bird by each button. I may be wrong, but I imagine either very tiny writing on or by each key on the keyboard or a sort of look up table. Would that be correct? Can we see a photo of the existing activity?

Again, I don't see any advantage to the layout a keyboard provides unless there is some musical aspect where A#4 is relevant to bird XX or these need to be played together simultaneously where the proximity of the keys are advantageous. 

Reek Havok
    Sound Designer and Interactive
    Long Beach CA
    Havok@SoundsAmazing.com(714) 453-9975

• 7.  RE: Updating a popular interactive

Posted 12-02-2016 10:13 AM

Thank you all for your input! We're pretty fond of the piano format and we're hoping to keep it. Thank you again!

Kathleen McNeece
    Cleveland Museum of Natural History
    Cleveland OH