Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Programs for adults with autism or sensory issues

Posted 10-29-2016 02:18 PM

Hello,

I work at a science museum and we are exploring the idea of hosting programs for adults who are on the autism spectrum or have sensory issues. I was wondering if there are any other science museums out there that might be already hosting these kinds of events. I would love to pick some brains and see what has worked and what obstacles you might have faced. 

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Justin Tognarine
    Quality Services Coordinator
    Carnegie Science Center
    Pittsburgh PA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Programs for adults with autism or sensory issues

Posted 10-31-2016 08:01 AM

Thanks for raising this issue -- we're also looking at how to provide for children, primarily, with autism.  So far we've only just provided a quiet(er) space within view of exhibits.  I'll be interested to learn about others' efforts and successes.

Elspeth Inglis
    Assistant Director for Educational Services
    Kalamazoo Valley Museum
    Kalamazoo MI

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Programs for adults with autism or sensory issues

Posted 10-31-2016 09:24 AM

Here at The Franklin Institute we run a program for people with special sensory needs call "Sensory-Friendly Sunday". You can find more information here: Sensory-Friendly Sunday | The Franklin Institute Science Museum. We've worked with a local occupational therapy program at Salus University to provide training for our staff, and students from the program volunteer at each Sunday event. If you're interested, I can put you in touch with program manager to learn more. 

Charlotte Boulay
    Director of Corporate Communications and Grants
    The Franklin Institute
    Philadelphia PA

• 4.  RE: Programs for adults with autism or sensory issues

Posted 10-31-2016 12:28 PM

Hi Justin,

Pacific Science Center has been offering Autism Early Open for about two years. https://www.pacificsciencecenter.org/exploration-for-all/

While not specifically for adults, I'm happy to talk with you about it. 

Best,

Keni

Keni S. Sturgeon | PACIFIC SCIENCE CENTER

Director, Science & Education| P (206) 269-2143 | F (206) 443-3631 | KSturgeon@pacsci.org

Pacific Science Center is an independent, not-for-profit institution that ignites curiosity and fuels a passion for discovery, experimentation, and critical thinking.

9FF2D43A-39EB-4750-B267-05D31F46DD71

• 5.  RE: Programs for adults with autism or sensory issues

Posted 10-31-2016 02:11 PM

Hi there,

This article has a few examples of how AAMD member museums serve audiences on the autism spectrum. Most are for children but there is one for teens and some have all ages components. I'm afraid some of the links are now broken but I hope you find it somewhat helpful! I would be very interested to know what you find about adult autism programs since so many of the current museum programs are aimed at children.

Art Museum Autism Programs

Cheers,

Alison

Alison Wade
    Chief Administrator
    Association of Art Museum Directors
    New York NY
    aamd.org

• 6.  RE: Programs for adults with autism or sensory issues

Posted 10-31-2016 05:35 PM

TheNAT holds ASD Mornings each month. Information about that program can be found at theNAT | ASD Mornings

Sdnhm remove preview
    theNAT | ASD Mornings
    Through developmentally appropriate opportunities, theNAT has created specialized learning geared toward visitors of all levels. With the ASD Mornings program, our hope is that individuals on the autism spectrum will visit the Museum knowing they are in a welcoming, safe, and comfortable environment.
    View this on Sdnhm >

We have visitors of all ages with ASD coming to this program. We've been running it for about a 18 months now.

We also received an IMLS grant to provide meet ups for young adults with ASD and they are going to help us co-create social stories for 7 museums in Balboa Park. The blog about this project can be found at theNAT | Social Stories

Sdnhm remove preview
    theNAT | Social Stories
    From January to December 2017, the Social Stories-SPECTRUM Project will provide a structured opportunity for high-functioning verbal young adults (ages 18-25) with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) to meet up with their peers and practice social skills, participate in organized trips to seven museums in Balboa Park, and work together to create "social stories" for the museums visited.
    View this on Sdnhm >

Happy to answer any questions. Cheers, beth

Beth Redmond-Jones
    Senior Director of Public Programs
    San Diego Natural History Museum
    San Diego CA
    bredmondjones@sdnhm.org

• 7.  RE: Programs for adults with autism or sensory issues

Posted 11-01-2016 11:23 AM

Hi Justin,

At the New York Transit Museum we've had success with a few different types of programs for people with autism and other developmental disabilities. Your question was about adults and so I'll elaborate on a program we offer for adults.

We are now in our second year of hosting Day Habilitation Days, which we hold during quieter hours in our museum (for us that's the afternoon). We invite local day habilitation centers to come to the museum for free (we do ask them to register in advance) and we provide resources like noise-quieting headphones and a list of quieter spaces in the museum. We also provide a lot of clear information about the museum in advance to the centers so they know what to expect and can plan accordingly.

For this particular event we don't fill the museum with special programs, but we do have our staff who are trained to work with people with disabilities stationed throughout the museum to invite the groups to try out exhibits, to be a welcoming presence, etc. In our experience day habs have extremely limited funds for field trips but they really want to bring their adults and young adults out, so a free program is pretty essential to the event's success. We also find that day hab groups often haven't been to the museum and so they're actually looking for a more unstructured experience (one of the reasons we don't have pop-up programs all over the museum). 

An "entry-level" event like Dayhab Day has allowed us to get these groups in the door, build relationships with the day habs, and understand what aspects of our museum's space, exhibits, and content really click with the groups. Now with that information and experience we can build our roster of programs and create more targeted, content/program-rich events for adults with developmental disabilities.

Happy to elaborate on this or other programs- feel free to email me at elyse.newman@nyct.com. If you visit the access page of our website you'll see other programs for people with disabilities. Good luck!

Best,

Elyse Newman

Elyse Newman
    Education Manager
    New York Transit Museum
    Brooklyn NY