Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Crowd Funding

Posted 10-12-2016 03:00 PM
    Hi there,
    Does anyone have experience of running a Crowd Funding initiative for a museum and if so,
    What type of project gets a good response?
    What type of project does not get a good response?
    How time consuming is it?
    What are the pitfalls and things to avoid?
    Is it an effective fundraising tool?
    What are the reputation issues for a museum?
    I'd be really interested to hear of any useful tips and experience!
    Many thanks,
    Lizzy

Lizzy Moriarty
    T: +44 (0)798 097 3266

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Crowd Funding

Posted 08-14-2017 04:07 PM
    Any feedback or important views to share on crowd-funding at museums?  Updates?  Thanks

------------------------------
    Stuart Chase
    Director
    Monterey Museum of Art
    Monterey CA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Crowd Funding

Posted 08-15-2017 09:40 AM
    Although I have no evidence-based data to answer the original questions, I do want to note that reputations do not seem to be harmed by the use of crowdfunding.  Two Smithsonian museums (NASM and NMAH), as well as the US Holocaust Memorial Museum, have conducted successful crowdfunding campaigns on Kickstarter.  As a backer for each of these, I have felt more connected with the museum, like I'm making a specific difference, rather than just paying them my usual annual membership fee and not seeing a direct result.  Both the rewards associated with the crowdfunding, and the fact that specific projects were benefited, make me feel proud of having contributed to such venerated institutions.

I would think this would work on a local level as well - it gives donors a greater sense of buy-in to a beloved local museum.

Again, no evidence-based data, just anecdotes on my experiences as a crowdfunding donor for museums.

Meredith Peruzzi
    Manager
    Gallaudet University Museum
    Washington DC

• 4.  RE: Crowd Funding

Posted 08-15-2017 03:18 PM

This is not my area of expertise, but I've had some discussion with a professional with experience in crowd funding.  The main take-home message that I got from our conversation is this:

If you're going to launch a crowd funding campaign, be ready and be ready to keep driving.  

What he meant was that the two things that most frequently kill crowd funding campaigns are starting one prematurely before having a complete plan in place, and not dedicating (or having) the resources to maintain the campaign throughout the duration once it has begun.  

For the plan, consider questions like:  

What is the overall target amount to be raised?  What are some milestone goals, and what does that timeline look like?  (Many campaigns last only 30 days, so this is crucial.)  How will we spread the word?  Can we realistically offer any rewards we might promise on time?

Make sure you're ready to finish what you start (keep driving).  Be prepared to make the campaign your (or someone's) full-time job.  Just posting it on the internet and waiting doesn't work, and it's important to be responsive and adapt to any feedback that comes in.  If they can't find you, they won't donate to you, so you essentially need a social media manager to drive and maintain interest, which means lots of frequent engagement.  It's tough to build a second campaign from the ashes of a first one that crashed and burned, so it's worth taking the time to get it right.

Hope this helps,

Michael

Michael Holland
    Principal/Owner
    Michael Holland Productions
    Bozeman MT

• 5.  RE: Crowd Funding

Posted 08-15-2017 07:46 PM
    Meredith,

We did a very good webinar on crowdfunding in June on Connecting to Collections Care - check out the recording at So, You Want to Run a Kickstarter Campaign? Lessons/tips for crowdfunding your project
    Connectingtocollections remove preview
    So, You Want to Run a Kickstarter Campaign? Lessons/tips for crowdfunding your project
    Crowdfunding, once a novel approach to financing a project, has now become mainstream with multiple hosting platforms to choose from. In this webinar, conservator J. Claire Dean will draw on her extensive experience of running campaigns (as well as backing hundreds over recent years) to highlight the challenges and rewards of using this approach to funding projects.
    View this on Connectingtocollections >

All best,

Susan

M. Susan Barger PhD
    Online Community Coordinator Connecting to Collections Care
    Foundation of the American Institute & Artistic Works (FAIC)
    Washington DC