Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  STEM standards in museums of history- Possible readings

Posted 09-15-2016 02:44 PM

Hello all,

I teach Museum Studies at the University of Texas at El Paso and am currently overseeing an intern at the El Paso Museum of History. This student is working with the Community Engagement Coordinator and Curator to revamp their main exhibit gallery. El Paso has a rich history of mining, engineering, and manufacturing, so some of the displays and programming take on STEM related topics.

So... here is my question:

Has anyone had success or seen successful models for incorporating STEM standards into History museums? If so, has this been written about at all, either in academic journals, newsletters, blogs, or anything. I would like examples, evaluation of effectiveness, or just observations/experience with successful models. This would be for my student to read and incorporate into her internship.

Please contact me directly, djcareywhalen@utep.edu or reply to this message.

Many thanks,

Daniel

------------------------------
    Daniel Carey-Whalen
    University of Texas at El Paso
    El Paso TX
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: STEM standards in museums of history- Possible readings

Posted 09-16-2016 08:42 AM

Conner Prairie Interactive History Museum has been incorporating STEM for ten years through exhibits, living history and special events, and school programming. Staff have published at least one article that I recall. I suggest you reach out to the COO/head of programming. 

Ellen Rosenthal
    Former Director
    Fishers IN

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: STEM standards in museums of history- Possible readings

Posted 09-16-2016 12:26 PM

Thank you Ellen!

Many folks have recommended Connor Prairie. I will definitely have my student look into this!

Best,

Daniel

Daniel Carey-Whalen
    El Paso TX

• 4.  RE: STEM standards in museums of history- Possible readings

Posted 09-19-2016 09:40 AM

Why not make it STEAM to include the arts as many school districts in Texas are choosing! For a resource to explain the importance of this concept, turn to Eric Jensen's Arts with the Brain in Mind. 

Linda East

MA, Art History and Museum Certification completed in May of this year.

Linda East
    Student/Evaluator

• 5.  RE: STEM standards in museums of history- Possible readings

Posted 09-20-2016 08:41 AM

Hi Daniel,

You should have your student connect with our Educators at the Bullock Texas State History Museum. We've been incorporating art and science within our history exhibitions and programming for the past few years with good success.

Margaret Koch
    Deputy Director, Director of Exhibits
    Bullock Texas State History Museum
    Austin TX

• 6.  RE: STEM standards in museums of history- Possible readings

Posted 09-20-2016 05:34 PM

For those interested...

the Conner Prairie, in conjunction with the Science Museum of Minnesota, with funding from the National Science Foundation created a project called Create. Connect! Create.Connect

Then Catherine Hughes, Brian Mancuso, and Allison Cosbey wrote about it in AASLH Technical Leaflet #270: Integrating Science at a History Museum.

Createconnect remove preview
    Create.Connect
    Welcome to Create.Connect, a new approach to integrating informal-STEM learning activities with history-based stories and activities.
    View this on Createconnect >

Daniel Carey-Whalen
    Coordinator, Museum Studies and Public Culture

• 7.  RE: STEM standards in museums of history- Possible readings

Posted 09-21-2016 08:29 AM

Daniel -

We've had great success integrating STEAM into our living history curriculum here at the Jamestown Yorktown Foundation. The key is not to just jam in something science-y for the sake of doing it. When I was supervising our fleet of 17th century ships at Jamestown, I couldn't have asked for a better venue for introducing STEAM - simple machines by the dozens and math and science everywhere! From the pulleys of the block and tackle, to the inclined plane of the gangplank, to the instrumentation, astronomy and algebra of celestial navigation, I could hit them all!
    Not all museums are lucky enough to have sailing ships; I currently supervise a historic farm site. There's plenty of earth science and meteorology in farming! Figuring out how much seed it takes to plant a field can allow an exploration of geometry and algebra. And with hoes, rakes, wheelbarrows, wellheads ... there's our simple machine fix.

The fact is, you guys are almost certainly already incorporating STEAM into your work every. Single. Day. The thing to do is make sure teachers know it. Find their buzzwords and use them. I don't talk about farmers making hard choices about what to plant during the Revolutionary War; I talk about "opportunity costs." I don't talk about using what's available, I talk about "utilization of natural resources." Same discussion, just throw those key words in - it helps teachers balance their opportunity costs - justifying spending limited resources on a field trip to your museum.

I did a panel on this at the ALHFAM conference last spring in Williamsburg - our paper should be in the Proceedings. Hope this helps. Feel free to drop me a line.

Jay

John Templin
    Museum Interpretive Site Supervisor
    Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation
    Williamsburg VA

• 8.  RE: STEM standards in museums of history- Possible readings

Posted 09-21-2016 10:22 AM

My teacher action research for my M.Ed. touched on these topics. 

I worked with students in a school at the time though, but in partnership with an archaeological site and museum to deliver cross-curriculum lessons using archaeology as a touchpoint - so we went through all the major subjects, with reading comprehension, writing, debate, creative writing, measuring, Pythagorean theorem, metric system, stratigraphy, effects of construction on water drainage, etc. 

I can get my hands on that paper if it sounds interesting. The lessons culminated in a trip to the museum with a sort of workbook of activities that students could respond to exhibit materials with. The idea being that there would be a graded product aligned with the state's education standards to draw from. 

Christine Hoffman
    Museum Site Manager
    Chappell Hill Historical Society
    Chappell Hill TX