Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Labels to identify hands-on exhibits

Posted 09-01-2016 01:36 PM

I am wondering what type of signage other 'adult' museums use to identify exhibits tailored specifically for children and hands-on use.

I think a small label with an open hand might get the message across to even non-readers, but I would like to hear what works for others.

Thank you.

Judy Costello
    Education Manager
    Shiloh Museum of Ozark History

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Labels to identify hands-on exhibits

Posted 09-02-2016 07:34 AM

At York Art Gallery (UK), we developed discreet friendly signage for objects on open display to indicate whether visitors could touch them or not. One was "Hands On" with a hand symbol in the O. The other was "Just Look" with a pair of eyes in the oo. They are aimed at all our visitors as a friendlier way of saying Don't Touch and indicating what they can touch.

Hope this is of interest.

Best wishes Helen.

------------------------------
    Helen Walsh
    Curator of Ceramics, Centre of Ceramic Art (CoCA)
    York Art Gallery, UK

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Labels to identify hands-on exhibits

Posted 09-02-2016 12:14 PM

We've used various hand symbols, as well as a different color scheme for labels for hands-on things. Both seem to work, although we haven't done any specific evaluation to determine which is better (or if a combination of the two). I do think it's important that there is something that does (in words) spell out that they can touch. Parents may not be paying close attention to the labels until their child touches something. 

Kaia Landon
    Executive Director
    Box Elder Museum of Art, History, and Nature
    Brigham City UT

• 4.  RE: Labels to identify hands-on exhibits

Posted 09-05-2016 09:01 AM

Hello Judy,

We are a small historic house and have limited resources for exhibits. But, I do use objects that are an interactive element of any exhibit I create. Usually I group the objects together and have a sign saying 'Please Touch.' Those words seem to hit the right spot with visitors and especially children. Hope that helps.

Tania Batley
    Curator
    Lefferts Historic House
    Brooklyn, New York

• 5.  RE: Labels to identify hands-on exhibits

Posted 09-21-2016 11:09 AM

Thanks for the time you spent to share with both the open and private messages.  These have been helpful, because they reinforce what I was thinking and help us make sure we are in line with other museums (which I think is helpful for visitors).

Judy Costello
    Education Manager
    Shiloh Museum of Ozark History
    Springdale AR