Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  HVAC

Posted 09-01-2016 08:42 AM

Hello

I am the facilities Manager for the Seminole Tribe of Florida's Ah Tah Thi Ki Museum.  I am looking for information on HVAC systems that can keep a 70 degree temperature and 50% humidity.  I have been dealing with high humidity and our HVAC system is not doing the job.  I am looking to replace several units but am looking for input on what other museums are doing and what types of problems you are having.  If you can help in any way I would appreciate it.

Thank You

David Higgins

Facilities Manager

AH-Tah-Thi-Ki MUSEUM

30290 Josie Billie Hwy

PMB 1003

Clewiston, Fl 33440

(863)902-1113 Ext: 12204

Cell (954)465-4317

davidhiggins@semtribe.com

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: HVAC

Posted 09-02-2016 11:20 AM

Hi David,

You will want to have a conservator (located through American Institute for Conservation) evaluate the vulnerability of the collection to environmental variations. You may want to moderate your expectations for interior relative humidity (RH) control to something like "reliably maintaining RH levels below 70%." Reliably eliminating extreme T and RH excursions can be more beneficial to long-term preservation than strict control near a set point. Good technical advice on all facility management issues can be obtained from members of the International Association of Museum Facility Administrators (IAMFA) and you may want to reach out to and/or join that group.

Best,
    Rob

------------------------------
    Robert Waller, PhD, CAPC, FIIC
    President and Senior Risk Analyst
    Protect Heritage Corp.
    622 Simoneau Way
    Ottawa ON K4A 1P4
    email: rw@protectheritage.com
    internet: www.protectheritage.com
    phone: 613-883-2707 (Canada)
    phone: 303-872-9739 (USA)
    and, Research Associate, Canadian Museum of Nature
    and, Adjunct Assistant Professor, Queen's University

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: HVAC

Posted 09-02-2016 11:38 AM

Good morning –

Maintaining 70 degrees and 50% relative humidity may be very difficult, if not impossible in Florida's hot and humid ambient conditions, unless you are in a purpose-built building with a very tight envelope with good thermal and moisture barriers and little air infiltration.

The first question I would ask is whether the collections require conditions as tight as those you are aiming to achieve. Yes, mold in hot and humid climates is a problem that must be mitigated, and if you have paper-based collections, lower temperatures help to reduce thermal degradation. However, there has been a considerable amount of research recently that has been conducted by the Getty Conservation Institute (GCI) and others on providing preservation environments for museum collections in hot and humid environments. In 2015, the GCI published Environmental Management for Collections Alternative Preservation Strategies for Hot and Humid Collections, by Shin Maekawa, Vincent L. Beltran and Michael C. Henry. It is available through the Getty publications website. 

The Image Permanence Institute (www.imagepermanenceinstitute.org) also provides excellent resources; the American Institute for Conservation has an on-line wiki that discusses environmental guidelines (http://www.conservation-wiki.com/wiki/Environmental_Guidelines) and the current thinking on these.  I especially want to refer everyone to section 1.5.3 of this section which provides links and information on many useful resources currently available.

Apologies for not answering your question directly concerning what equipment to purchase.  But I hope that this additional information will help you and your institution.

Best wishes,

Wendy Claire Jessup

Conservator

Wendy Jessup and Associates, Inc.

Care of Cultural Property

933 N. Kenmore Street, Suite 323

Arlington, VA 22201

(703) 522-2801

www.collectioncare.com

• 4.  RE: HVAC

Posted 09-02-2016 04:39 PM

Thank You for the information.  I will definitely check out the publication you have suggested.  Unfortunately we have a lot of variables in our collections from paper, photos, and artifacts and all need just a little bit differences in climate.  At this point if I could keep a mid happy medium in our vault I would be happy.  I am coming from a natural history museum in Santa Barbara, Ca. There I had issues with no humidity and having to add, here in Florida with a 95% humidity it is just the opposite and our reheat system is struggling.  Thank you again for the information and will check out these publications to see if they can give me some insight.

David

------------------------------
    David Higgins
    Facilities Manager
    Ah-tah-thi-ki Museum Seminole Tribe of Florida
    Clewiston FL