Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Tracking Demographics for Grant Applications

Posted 08-30-2016 03:35 PM

Would you please share how your organization tracks visitor demographics (gender, ethnicity, age and special populations served)? I am most interested in tracking for general visitation or special exhibitions rather than for individual programs.

Thank you,

Jennifer

Jennifer Long 98C, Associate Director of Development

Michael C. Carlos Museum

Emory University, Development and Alumni Relations

571 South Kilgo Circle, Atlanta, Georgia  30322

Office: 404.727.2115, Mobile: 404.670.0611 Fax: 404.727.4292 

jennifer.long@emory.edu

This e-mail message (including any attachments) is for the sole use of
    the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged
    information. If the reader of this message is not the intended
    recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution
    or copying of this message (including any attachments) is strictly
    prohibited.

If you have received this message in error, please contact
    the sender by reply e-mail message and destroy all copies of the
    original message (including attachments).
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Tracking Demographics for Grant Applications

Posted 08-31-2016 02:02 PM

We do visitor surveys to gather visitor demographic data.

I would also recommend tracking zipcodes, education level, household income and cultural background.

We did not track these for several years but found they are helpful for understanding who we are serving and if we are attracting those from a diverse background that is reflective of our community's demographic make-up. It can also be helpful to have this information when you are seeking funding. 

------------------------------
    Tina Keegan
    Exhibits Director
    Palo Alto Junior Museum and Zoo
    Palo Alto CA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Tracking Demographics for Grant Applications

Posted 09-01-2016 08:50 AM

Tina,

Do you do visitor surveys for everyone who comes? What percentage of visitors completes a survey?

If you are not relying on surveys to obtain education level, household income and cultural background, how do you track that information for general admissions? I can envision being able to estimate it for school groups coming in, but don't understand how to ask for this kind of information when people are purchasing tickets. Although I agree it would be nice to have when seeking funding, to ask for it seems invasive and insensitive.

Robyn

Robyn Gibboney PhD
    Grant Writer/Foundation Relations Manager
    Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal
    Cincinnati OH

• 4.  RE: Tracking Demographics for Grant Applications

Posted 09-01-2016 08:52 AM

Tina,

Do you do visitor surveys for everyone who comes? What percentage of visitors completes a survey?

If you are not relying on surveys to obtain education level, household income and cultural background, how do you track that information for general admissions? I can envision being able to estimate it for school groups coming in, but don't understand how to ask for this kind of information when people are purchasing tickets. Although I agree it would be nice to have when seeking funding, to ask for it seems invasive and insensitive.

Robyn

Robyn Gibboney PhD
    Grant Writer/Foundation Relations Manager
    Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal
    Cincinnati OH