Open Forum

View Only

Printing/Production Responsibility

• 1.  Printing/Production Responsibility

Posted 08-21-2016 02:36 PM
    Hi All,

I am organizing the shipping for an art exhibition that has been curated by two independent curators. We are looking to borrow three photographs from an artist based in Paris. To reduce shipping costs, the original plan was that the prints would be shipped in a tube via FedEx, then we would frame the works in San Francisco. 

The curators have made all contact with the artist/gallery until this point. As an institution, we made a commitment to frame, however the gallerist is under the impression that we, the "borrowing institution," will be paying for the printing of the work, as well. 

If our institution printed and framed the photos, what would happen to both parts after the closing of the exhibition in terms of ownership? If we do produce the whole work (printing, matte and frame), which they could end up selling in the future, is there a way to negotiate compensation? This is not a commissioned piece and the photographs have been previously exhibited. This would be a reprint. 

Since I am just joining the conversation now, I am having difficulty navigating between the gallery, curator and artist. Any experience, or best practices advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks, 

Emily Kuhlmann
    Director of Exhibitions
    Museum of the African Diaspora
    San Francisco

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more