Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Lifetime memberships for retired employees

Posted 08-16-2016 09:05 AM

Does anyone have a policy on giving lifetime memberships to retiring employees based on years of service?

We have one employee retiring with over 30 years of service, and one with over 20 years.

Thanks,

Windy

------------------------------
    Windy Cole
    Development Director
    Culture & Heritage Museums
    Rock Hill SC
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Lifetime memberships for retired employees

Posted 08-17-2016 09:22 AM

Hiya! I'm one of those people against lifetime memberships. I ll give a 25 year membership in lieu of a lifetime membership if I had to do so. It just complicates things and I had a situation (in a previous organization) where a lifetime member tried deeding their membership to their grandchild.  

So, we dont give lifetime memberships but have hierarchies

1-2 years of employment = 1year lower level,

2-5 years = 2 year lower level

5-10 years = 2 years mid level  

10+ years = 5 year mid level

Jessica Casinelli
    Membership Manager
    Vizcaya Museum & Gardens
    Miami FL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Lifetime memberships for retired employees

Posted 08-17-2016 09:54 AM

We give staff a lifetime membership after 10 years of service, and our volunteers get one after 1,000 hours of volunteer time.

My two cents, based on what you described in your email... Giving one to your employees that are retiring with 20- and 30-years of time is a nice touch, low cost, and has potential for further value.

Martin

Martin Fisher
    Science Central
    Fort Wayne IN

• 4.  RE: Lifetime memberships for retired employees

Posted 08-17-2016 03:21 PM

Hello,

Organizations where I have worked have awarded lifetime memberships for exceptional service from retiring staff, volunteers, or emeritus board members.  There was not a hard and fast rule, but remember that spreading this kind of goodwill does not cost an organization much, increases your rolls, expresses appreciation which you can then trumpet in your PR, and may have some good consequences for donations.  Above all, it shows your gratitude to the retiree who gave much to your organization.

Jane Hennedy
    Site Manager, Southern Rhode Island
    Historic New England
    North Kingstown RI