Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Emergency Procedures Handbook Update

Posted 08-12-2016 04:07 PM

Greetings All, 

Our institution is updating our Emergency Procedures Handbook. Our chapter on First Aid /General Museum Responsibilities needs to be reworked. Would anyone be willing to share a sample from their institutions EMP handbook? 

Sorry for any cross posting and thank you for your consideration!
    Victoria 

------------------------------
    Victoria King
    Registrar
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Emergency Procedures Handbook Update

Posted 08-14-2016 09:36 AM
    I am an RN as well as an ED of a small museum...Long story...

The most important thing you should do right now is have an adequate first aid kit. I updated ours as soon as I arrived and it is bright orange and whenever there is an issue, we run to get the bag and bring to the person and go from there. If you want me to review your pages, I would be happy to do so. Since we are small, we have a very simple policy, but I am not sure what size your museum is so it may be quite different. I would also encourage all your staff to be CORI checked and you need to decide if it is appropriate to have a defibrillator and if so will everyone be trained on it? Reach out to your local red cross or fire department as they can be very helpful for training. The last tip is make sure you have an incident report and the ED or another manager should call the person who had the incident the next day and check on them. 

Barbara

Barbara Elfman

Executive Director

Metropolitan Waterworks Museum

617-277-0065

http://waterworksmuseum.org/

@MetroWaterworks 

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Emergency Procedures Handbook Update

Posted 08-23-2016 03:58 PM

At our museum, staff members and volunteers in a staff position are trained in standard first aid, CPR for adults & infants, and Blood-borne Pathogen issues.  In the event of an injury more then minor cut, scrape, they will be the primary persons.  We have at three first aid kits equipped with items that will cover 99% of injuries received by visitors, vendors and others.  For simple cuts and scrapes, non-trained individuals offer band-aids, water and shade for possible heat issues.  For more serious injuries, trained personnel are used.  If a volunteer has received certification in first aid & CPR through another source, they will be added to our list if they request it.  Blood-borne Pathogen issues are reserved for Museum staff only.

Having said that, as a business, we also fall under industrial injury, occupational safety and health regulations issued by CalOSHA.  For CalOSHA purposes, volunteers count as employees.  CalOSHA regulations specifically state what the first aid kit will contain, and depending on number of employees, how much of an item.  Therefore we have a fourth first aid kit just for that purpose.  Any employee can use this kit or provide any item to another employee, but not non-employees.  

Raymond Meyer
    Safety-Security Manager
    Aerospace Museum of California
    McClellan, CA 95652
    safety-security@aerospaceca.org