Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  AAM Session Proposal - Eval Topics (Seeking Collaborators)

Posted 08-12-2016 11:38 AM

Hello Everyone --- The evaluation team at Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum hopes to organize a session proposal for the upcoming AAM Annual Meeting (St Louis, MO, May 7-10) that includes case studies, theory and replicable practices. Building from work at the Intrepid  we hope to collaborate with cultural institutions from across the country.

Key areas that we are considering include:

• “defining success” as an institution, by department, program, exhibition, etc.
    • new insights into metrics used, analysis, and data dissemination among an institution’s stakeholders and constituents
    • internal evaluation protocols, best practices and consistency of habits
    • purposeful collecting of content-focused / experience-focused qualitative data from visitors and program participants – designed according to how success is defined
    • how is market research (such as demographics, levels of education, etc.) collected in relation to content / experience data

If you relate to any of these topics at your institution and in your work, please reach out…Depending on responses and interest perhaps this can even develop into more than 1 session.

Thank you all and hope to hear from you soon.

Sheri

------------------------------
    Sheri Levinsky-Raskin
    Assistant Vice President, Education & Evaluation
    Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum
    New York, NY
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: AAM Session Proposal - Eval Topics (Seeking Collaborators)

Posted 08-15-2016 05:23 PM

Hi Sheri,

I'd be happy to talk to you about this topic - we have been producing a visitor metrics dashboard for 2 years now, and recently completed an in depth study of the dynamics and nature of visitor experience and satisfaction here at OMCA. We've also instituted a Visitor Research Forum made up of leadership from across the organization to strategize and prioritize research and evaluation needs plus work on the culture shift required to become a more data-oriented organization and incorporate lessons learned into our work and decision-making. Let me know if you'd like to connect.

Kelly

Kelly McKinley
    Director, Center for Experience Development and Collections
    Oakland Museum of California
    Oakland CA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: AAM Session Proposal - Eval Topics (Seeking Collaborators)

Posted 08-16-2016 08:14 AM

Dear all 

Hi every one 

I am founder of chair Indigunes  Tharu cultural museum and research center in Nepal , I did my presentation last time other country too but this time I will make good proposal for my presentation to AAM conference in May in US , could you give me some idea about that proposal . I am interested some case study for our museum such like 1, museum can do social work rural area .2, youth can run museum . 

Birendra Mahato

funder chair 

Tharu cultural museum and research center , Bachhaili Chitwan Nepal 

Birendra Mahato
    Founder Chair
    Chitwan

• 4.  RE: AAM Session Proposal - Eval Topics (Seeking Collaborators)

Posted 08-16-2016 09:32 AM

I don't know if this is relevant to your inquiry Sheri but this year Boscovel House and Gardens is conducting a Marist visitor survey to learn about why our visitors come here, how they heard of us, and what the quality of their visiting experience was.  It is not focused on demographics but on content.  I have always wanted to do such a survey and have, in a somewhat home-grown manner,  But to be able to do it "professionally" and have by an esteemed polling institute is such a treat.  The folks at Marist College (Poughkeepsie) trained us and set up the template.  We are using volunteers to help assure some neutrality of implementation.  So far the results are not surprising but that too can be important as I have no interest in jarring something so successful as we plan future developments here.

Regards,

Steve 

Steven Miller
    Executive Director
    Boscobel House and Gardens
    Garrison NY

• 5.  RE: AAM Session Proposal - Eval Topics (Seeking Collaborators)

Posted 08-17-2016 10:52 AM

Hi all!

Excited to see these ideas flying around! Can I just say that you absolutely want Kelly McKinley on your panel - I facilitated a panel last year with her on it, and she is a rock star!

CARE has discussed the idea of an instrument "triage" session to break down the barrier that we are limited by surveys - "Just do a survey" as we often hear in our institutions. We talked about a session where a moderator or facilitator proposes an evaluation or research question, and the panelists provide ideas of different methods they have used or could use to answer the question. Real case studies would be best, given we could find common questions we've all tackled. A lot of the topics you bring up in this thread, such as what does success look like and why guests visit, might make good common research questions.

Reach out to me if you are interested - or continue this great discussion on Museum Junction!

Cheers,

Marley Steele-Inama
    Director of Audience Research and Evaluation
    Denver Zoo
    Chair, Committee on Audience Research and Evaluation (CARE), AAM
    msteeleinama@denverzoo.org

• 6.  RE: AAM Session Proposal - Eval Topics (Seeking Collaborators)

Posted 08-18-2016 09:36 AM

Marley -- I love this idea of discussing other methods beyond surveys. If you're looking for presenters, let me know. I or one of my colleagues might be interested.

Liz Kollmann

Elizabeth Kollmann
    Senior Project Manager, Research & Evaluation
    Museum of Science
    Boston MA

• 7.  RE: AAM Session Proposal - Eval Topics (Seeking Collaborators)

Posted 08-22-2016 01:21 PM

Liz, perfect! Sarah C or I will be in touch very soon! :) 

Marley

Marley Steele-Inama
    Director of Audience Research and Evaluation
    Denver Zoo
    Denver CO

• 8.  RE: AAM Session Proposal - Eval Topics (Seeking Collaborators)

Posted 08-18-2016 11:30 AM

Hi Sheri,

First, I echo Marley's comments, working with Kelly this past May was awesome; she's the best.

Second, you may find my experiences helpful in a couple of the topics you mentioned. I'm currently at a new institution, and we are working through how we define success as a department and for individual programs. How we came to our conclusions, and how we have used them may be of interest. Also, in internal evaluation protocols, I developed a Evaluation Policy for my former institution that was on the same tier as other foundation documents such as a collections policy, cash control policy, etc., and can discuss that process and outcomes as well.

Best,

M

Marcus Harshaw
    Director of Education & Community Engagement
    Indiana Historical Society
    Indianapolis, IN