Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Emergency lighting in house museums

Posted 08-11-2016 02:41 PM
    Hello All,

I am wondering what solutions for emergency lighting are being used in other house museums. With thunderstorm weather coinciding with our busiest season, it's all too easy for me to picture a group of (elderly) visitors getting caught on the second floor of our ca. 1900 home when the power gets knocked out. 
    Of course I am hoping for a solution that is inobtrusive, dependable and cheap. I would be grateful for any information on what is working (or not) for others with historic homes.
    Sincerely,

Peggy Derrick, Curator
    La Crosse County Historical Society
    145 West Ave. S., La Crosse WI 54601
    Main Offices 608-782-1980
    Cell 608-799-0033
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Emergency lighting in house museums

Posted 08-12-2016 11:15 AM

Hello Peggy,

When we converted all our lighting to LED, we added some emergency lighting.  We used some very simple, small, and inexpensive LED units such as these https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/111322/EM-FHEM10W.html

You'll naturally want to hide them, one suggestion is to let them shine through sheer curtains or other such.  They're pretty small so you can use your imagination to put them where they won't be too obvious.  One thing you'll have to have is a source of electricity that is not switched (constant hot) so that the lights can charge, and of course, so they'll know when the power is out.

You might consider contacting your local fire department for guidance (or not!).

Good luck.  While historic accuracy and aesthetics are important, safety is still job #1.

------------------------------
    Curtis Morris
    Exhibits Manager
    Shiloh Museum of Ozark History
    Springdale AR

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more