Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Volunteer docents and paid educators

Posted 08-11-2016 09:45 AM

Hi all,

Our Education Department has an established volunteer docent program, but due to frequently not having enough docents for our tours, we're trying to supplement our docents with paid (part-time) Museum Educators. We're hoping to bring on either current students or recent grads to lead tours, plus do a few other administrative tasks such as outreach to schools and setting up tour materials. We've been told that, legally, we need to distinguish the job description from our docent program, and we're concerned that adding on these administrative tasks isn't enough. We're also worried about potentially negative reactions from our docents. 

Do any of you have both volunteer docents and paid part-time educators? How do you distinguish between the two positions? Is there any friction between the two groups, and if so, how have you handled it?

Thank you so much!

------------------------------
    Charlie Hersh
    Education Assistant
    National Museum of American Jewish History
    Philadelphia, PA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Volunteer docents and paid educators

Posted 08-12-2016 08:28 AM

That's a complex situation for which you'll find plenty of company, I'm sure.  Our situation is somewhat reversed.  We have a crew of paid hourly staff to be our front-line people, but we find our budget will not allow us to staff up fully, therefore, we also use volunteers.  Until now, the volunteers have had distinctly different jobs (helping with children's craft activities, mainly), but that's about to change.   We anticipate that a new science exhibit will require more staff to assist patrons with interactive elements that will be more complex than pushing buttons and the like.  Therefore, over the next year, we'll be developing a plan for a volunteer program in which we'll lay out the various responsibilities of volunteers and ways they intersect, but do not replace, paid staff.  For instance, volunteers could help monitor and clean up the gallery spaces, and be paired with paid staff to help with direct interactions with the public (basic demonstrations that don't require lots and lots of hours of training and practice)  I imagine some of our paid hourly staff will do some of this training of volunteers, too.  The paid staff will continue to do the more complex interpretive stuff, including leading school group workshops, running planetarium shows and other, more training-intensive things.  They also, at times, help to develop interpretive programs, which is something your new hires might be able to do, too.

In your case, at least at first, your volunteers will be more knowledgeable and experienced than your new hires (who will, I'm guessing, be considerably younger than your volunteers).  They should be given some kind of role that is important to them, yet distinguishes them from the paid staff - hard to say what that is, not knowing your operation.  When you hire these young people, though, I think it's imperative that they be made to understand how valued your older volunteers are (again, I'm making an assumption that your volunteers are mainly older adults, probably retirees).  There should be some joint meetings in which they all have a voice, and perhaps it would not be out of order to have the volunteers do a bit of the training of the staffers, at least at first.  Maybe you could have docent teams in which one or two paid staff are assigned to be the "recorders" of ideas that can be brought to supervisor(s).

I'm on this journey with you -- slightly reversed, but the same basic issues.  Just getting started myself.  I'll look forward to seeing others' ideas and solutions!

Elspeth Inglis
    Assistant Director for Educational Services
    Kalamazoo Valley Museum
    Kalamazoo MI

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Volunteer docents and paid educators

Posted 08-12-2016 02:43 PM

Hello,

Your situation has raised an ancillary question for me. Why do the job descriptions for staff and volunteers need to be different? I get that they usually are, but is that a legal requirement?

And I understand that it is illegal to have a paid employee donate volunteer hours doing the same thing you pay them for. I was not aware that it was illegal to have paid and unpaid staff doing the same duties. If it is, can someone point me to a reference source to read up on it?

Thank you,

Peggy 

Peggy Derrick
    Curator
    La Crosse County Historical Society
    La Crosse WI

• 4.  RE: Volunteer docents and paid educators

Posted 08-15-2016 10:34 AM

Thank you both for your responses!

Elspeth - What an interesting situation. You're right, finding distinctively different yet still meaningful roles for both volunteers and paid staff is key. We've arrived at making this more of an educational position, like an introduction to museum education, and that's helping a lot to differentiate between the two roles. Like you suggest, we're probably going to involve them in the development of new curricula. And I love the idea of having volunteers help with some of the trainings. That will definitely help to ease volunteers' potential fears of displacement. Good luck as you navigate this situation as well!

Peggy - I'm not sure of the specifics of the law but I imagine it has to do with the logic of, if two groups are doing the exact same tasks, why are we paying x group and not y group? (Though I should also clarify that this requirement has come to us from more senior staff through a few other people, so it's possible that the legality issue was added in "through the grapevine" and is actually just a company issue.) But if anyone has any resources I'd love to learn more as well!

Charlie Hersh
    Education Assistant
    National Museum of American Jewish History
    Philadelphia, PA

• 5.  RE: Volunteer docents and paid educators

Posted 08-16-2016 08:27 AM

We're in the process of hiring a volunteer coordinator through AmeriCorps, so I'm doing some research.  You've raised a very good issue, one that we've considered, but not from a legal point of view -- doing some digging and at some point, I'll ask our HR director what she knows.  We're governed by a community college, and they don't use volunteers (except staff!).  The museum is the odd cousin, so I'm not sure they'll have the answers to the legal aspect, either.  Meanwhile, here's a bit of what I've found:

Employee or Volunteer: What's the Difference?

elaws - employment laws assistance for workers and small businesses

Using Volunteers and Interns: Is It Legal?

None of these sites has anything to say about the legality, per se, of volunteers doing the same work as employees, but they do say that volunteers "typically" do not displace employees.  Let us know if you find anything more specific!

Elspeth Inglis
    Assistant Director for Educational Services
    Kalamazoo Valley Museum
    Kalamazoo MI

• 6.  RE: Volunteer docents and paid educators

Posted 08-16-2016 09:39 AM

Peggy, it's the Fair Labor Standards Act that is enforced by the Department of Labor. Here is some information that may be of use. The bottom line is that they can't engage in work normally done by a paid employee as that is displacing a paid employee and they can't work in a retail or commercial business division of the non-profit. I hope this helps answer the question.

"While the FLSA itself does not contain an exemption that generally excludes volunteers from the definition of employees at non-profit businesses, the U.S. Department of Labor’s (DOL) Wage and Hour Division has recognized that there are certain circumstances under which volunteer workers at non-profits are exempt from the wage requirements of the FLSA.  The DOL’s enforcement position has been that individuals may work for charitable, civic, religious, humanitarian, and similar non-profit enterprises and not be considered an employee under the FLSA if they volunteer freely, without expectation of compensation, and if they are engaging in activities that constitute “ordinary volunteerism.”

In determining whether a particular activity involves “ordinary volunteerism,” the DOL considers a variety of factors, including:

• the nature of the entity receiving the services;
    • the receipt by the worker (or expectation thereof) of any benefits from the entity receiving the services;
    • whether the activity is less than a full-time occupation;
    • whether regular employees are displaced;
    • whether the services are offered freely without pressure or coercion; and
    • whether the services are of the kind typically associated with volunteer work.

However, if an individual volunteers in a part of a non-profit that engages in commercial business and serves the public (such as retail stores and other businesses), those workers won’t be deemed volunteers.  Rather, they’ll be considered employees subject to the minimum wage and overtime wage requirements of the FLSA.

Employees who volunteer for their employing organizations are also worthy of note.  An employee may volunteer his time for his employer so long as: the employer does not request, or otherwise direct, the employee to volunteer; the work the employee performs is not the same type that constitutes his normal work activity; and the work is performed outside the employee’s normal working hours.  In the absence of any of these factors, the volunteer work that the employee is performing is working time and must be paid."

Roslyn Schaffer, SHRM-SCP, SPHR
    Chief Human Resources Officer
    The Barnes Foundation
    Philadelphia, PA
    rschaffer@barnesfoundation.org

• 7.  RE: Volunteer docents and paid educators

Posted 08-16-2016 10:11 AM

Unfortunately, this is not grapevine information. The US Department of Labor gives a short description of how they expect non-profits to regard volunteers. I suggest you look on their website, under Wage and Hour Division - Fact Sheet 14A - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - U.S. Department of Labor   on the second page, under "Volunteers". You can also find, on the web, interpretations by several firms that specialize in Labor Law. Generally the ones I've seen sum it up in a few basic concepts - but they can have far reaching impact on your volunteer programs.

You may want to check the following on the web:

From Foley & Lardner LLP -When It Comes to "Volunteer" Workers, No Good Deed Goes Unpunished | Labor & Employment Law Perspectives

Labor & Employment Law Perspectives remove preview
    When It Comes to "Volunteer" Workers, No Good Deed Goes Unpunished | Labor & Employment Law Perspectives
    It is that fun time for New Year's resolutions. Right up there with promises to go to the gym and to try to get along with one's in-laws, many will make plans to do more volunteer work in 2015. From an employer's point of view, a worker who willingly agrees to give his or her ...
    View this on Labor & Employment Law Perspectives >

From the Law Office of Kristine A. Sova - How Non-Profits Can Use Volunteers the Right Way (and Keep Litigation at Bay) | Law Office of Kristine A. Sov

Good Luck! It isn't fun, but it is important information for those of us in Volunteer Management to know in order to protect our organizations.

Nancy

Nancy Schomburg
    Manager, Volunteer Services
    Grounds for Sculpture
    Hamilton NJ