Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Looking for Co-presenters for AAM 2017 - Interpretive Technologies

Posted 08-09-2016 01:07 PM

Dear Colleagues,

I am looking for possible co-presenters for AAM 2017 to present on the subject of interpretive technologies in museums. Below are possible topics I can contribute. Please contact me if you have an interest in crafting a proposal.

• Institutional Digital Strategy development
    • Virtual Access Tour  - employing universal and ADA design guidelines to create an accessible Virtual Tour
    • Interpretive technologies, defining and making distinctions between platforms
    • App development research approaches - creating a plan for development and implementation
    ------------------------------
    Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Guiding Programs Manager
    Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
    Miami, FL 33141
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Looking for Co-presenters for AAM 2017 - Interpretive Technologies

Posted 08-10-2016 12:54 PM
    Edited by Allison Clark 08-12-2016 11:56 AM

Hi Mark,

This sounds like a fantastic proposal! When I was completing my MA in Art Education at The University of Texas at Austin, I co-developed an interactive iPad application (using iBook Author) geared toward adult learners viewing the temporary exhibition, Witness: Art and Civil Rights in the SixtiesComplete with short video clips, supplemental art sources, alternative didactic texts, and hyperlinks to external art-making applications, the Witness app approached age-specific learning in the museum gallery without the aid of a mediating docent or educator. My partner for the project specialized in museum accessibility, particularly visitors with low vision, and I emphasized free-choice learning and universal design. I wouldn't be able to bring in the actual app for the presentation, but I could use prototype screenshots and discuss the design process/rationale. 

Allison Clark

allisonclarkford@gmail.com 

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Looking for Co-presenters for AAM 2017 - Interpretive Technologies

Posted 08-11-2016 07:48 AM

Mark, I'd be very happy to participate in this discussion. Ford's is in the midst of a project to create a mobile interpretive solution for our huge student groups visitorship. It's an element of the digital strategy we presented in May 16's conference, and we'll be working aggressively on it throughout the coming year. We're also in the early planning stages for an augmented reality interpretive solution for the outside areas of our site. Let me know if you'd like to talk further, and include David McKenzie at dmckenzie at fords dot org, since I'll be away for most of the next two weeks. 

Sarah Jencks
    Director of Education and Leadership
    Ford's Theatre Society
    Washington DC

• 4.  RE: Looking for Co-presenters for AAM 2017 - Interpretive Technologies

Posted 08-11-2016 09:51 AM

Mark et al.

I might be interested. We've developed an open source storytelling platform at Mia, and digital interpretation is at the forefront of the museum strategy to engage audiences and deepen relationships. See recent presentations:

http://www.slideshare.net/dhegley/digital-storytelling-innovative-approaches-to-engagement

http://www.slideshare.net/dhegley/digital-storytelling-at-mia

- Douglas

Douglas Hegley
    Director of Media & Technology
    Minneapolis Institute of Art
    Minneapolis MN

• 5.  RE: Looking for Co-presenters for AAM 2017 - Interpretive Technologies

Posted 08-11-2016 12:12 PM

Hi Mark -

These are some really great ideas for panels and my colleagues and I would love to participate. We work as app/audio developers in the museum space - with projects on multiple platforms and with multiple audiences (including ADA, with a recent project being redefining the experience for Deaf visitors at Alcatraz).  We also provide training materials for small museums to create their own tours, using our learning from larger museums. So, I'm sure we can find a great topic to co-present on.

A bit about myself - In addition to my work at Antenna, I'm also a PhD candidate in museum technology, focusing on how museums interact with online communities, so your interest in distinctions between platforms sounds most interesting! 

Looking forward to speaking with you! 

Ps - my email is bmoskowitz@antennainternational.com

Blaire Moskowitz
    Marketing Manager, Americas
    Antenna International