Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Using Social Media to Identify Artifacts

Posted 07-26-2016 11:49 AM

So in our storage area, we have a few objects that have been left at the museum from different "shows" as far as I can surmise.  I have no record of who brought them, how they got here, or when these shows took place.  They are just kind of here.  Here is the problem, we are cleaning our storage space and I would like to return them to their owners (if they can be found).  I would like to post photos on social media to see if anyone recognizes them.  Does anyone have any experience with this good or bad? Also, what am I obligated to do with these objects? Do I care for them even though they are not part of the collection?  ***Side note, these objects do not relate to the history of the museum or fit into our collections scope. 

------------------------------
    Stephanie Koller
    Registrar
    West Overton Village and Museums
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Using Social Media to Identify Artifacts

Posted 07-26-2016 12:11 PM

When borrowing objects (and these seem to be borrowed objects) you should care for them as if they are your own. Do you have any records of past loan forms? This might help you rectify the situation. I found a painting in our collection, that turned out it wasn't ours at all but had been loaned out and then forgotten about for roughly 20 years. I was able to go through loan forms and find the original form. I contacted the curator and we struck up a new loan for the piece. 

I have used social media to try to help us identify photos of people. We didn't get very far with it but it was fun and engaging. I'd be careful of publicly posting photos of objects though and asking who they belong to...it may lead to issues/bad comments. 

Kali
    Curator of Collections

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Using Social Media to Identify Artifacts

Posted 07-26-2016 01:05 PM

I have absolutely no record of them at all, no accession forms, no loan forms, nothing.  I've asked a past director (who is friendly with the museum - most are not or have passed) and this person did not know anything about them either.  

Stephanie Koller
    Registrar

• 4.  RE: Using Social Media to Identify Artifacts

Posted 07-26-2016 03:02 PM

I guess then I'd say to hang on to them. Maybe ask some board members if they remember where something came from. It's a sticky situation.

Kali

• 5.  RE: Using Social Media to Identify Artifacts

Posted 07-27-2016 09:57 AM
    Edited by Karla Kaneb 07-27-2016 10:14 AM

You might check to see if there is an Old Loan Statute for the state in which your museum is located. You can research this online. These are laws that give institutions direction in the kind of situation that you are describing, and they vary by state. Some are basic, some are quite detailed, and some states don't have them. Even if your state does not have one, reading through some of the others might give you an idea of an approach that will work for you.

Karla Kaneb

• 6.  RE: Using Social Media to Identify Artifacts

Posted 07-27-2016 10:36 AM

Just on Monday, we had an item that none of us could identify. Even our resident agriculture expert couldn't figure it. So we posted it out on all our social media accounts and found out what it was before supper time that night. I would say its pretty effecitve, especially if you have a large social media presence. Here is the link to our example: https://www.facebook.com/kandiyohicountyhistoricalsociety/photos/a.389987423104.159233.44341653104/10153831752183105/?type=3&theater

Jakob Etrheim
    Collections Assistant
    Kandiyohi County Historical Society
    Willmar MN

• 7.  RE: Using Social Media to Identify Artifacts

Posted 07-27-2016 12:17 PM

These "Found in Collection" objects are the bane of our existence.  One of the problems that many institutions have is during their formative years, there is no real professional collections management policy.  People just drop things off as gifts or loans with no record.  We have piles of the stuff, much of which dates to the mid-1960s when the parent historical society was formed.  As mentioned above, many states allow museums to claim such objects as Abandoned Property.  One way to go about this is via a Public Notice in local newspapers stating that you have a number of undocumented items (no descriptions, for obvious reasons) and are seeking the rightful owners.  If nobody steps forward and makes a legitimate claim, then the objects can be ruled as yours to do with what you please.  There are pitfalls to this, but the alternative is to keep stuff you do not want or need forever.

David Beard
    Director
    Museum of the Gulf Coast
    Port Arthur TX

• 8.  RE: Using Social Media to Identify Artifacts

Posted 07-27-2016 01:25 PM
    Most states now have Disposition of Museum Property Laws on the books that will define the procedure you must go through to find the proper owners or, failing that, take possession of the objects so that they can be added to the collection of disposed of properly. Check your state's statutes on line.

Mary Turner
    Museum Consultant
    Decatur, IL

• 9.  RE: Using Social Media to Identify Artifacts

Posted 07-28-2016 06:48 AM
    Edited by Karla Kaneb 07-28-2016 06:53 AM

Here is a link to a page on the Society of American Archivists website that lists the Abandoned Property laws by state and could be a good starting point:

www2.archivists.org

Karla Kaneb